Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Works for me!

Wait, doesn't Snyder have a say in the script now though?

Talk about one of the most overrated comics, and villains evar!

"The Death of Superman" didn't really impress me. Is this the best a Superman has to offer? It wasn't really anything special too me. I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!
    Of course there were tons but Bizarro doesn't really cut it - y'know....the Death story has a whole trilogy in it....and that fight was epic, no doubt about it. Its definitely the story that I've read which has the most meat, it deals with every facet of Supes existence plus it has some nice commentary on modern media and idol worship...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I should probably add, y'know if you look at most of the Superman stories, they aren't exactly strong in terms of it being mature....Death is a great example of the "thank you superman!!" mentality that permeated the first SM movie with Chris Reeves - they've pretty much ALWAYS been cheesy if you ask me, its about reading between the lines and Death has a lot of space between those lines...a LOT of space!

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

and also, on casting Henry Cavill as the next Supes - this poisoned chalice will probably destroy the poor fella.
    This is literally an almost impossible role to cast properly - if you think about the characteristics that Superman possesses - he needs to be charming, intelligent, compelling without being smarmy, egotistical or self righteous - very few actors nowdays can portray those qualities alongside the "mild mannered" (read: meek, uninteresting, naive) Clark Kent. Chris Reeves managed it perfectly (I'm more a fan of the movies than the comics tbh)...you've just got to look at Chris Reeves delivering the "safest way to travel" scene with Margot Kidder - when he smiles and flies off, telling her his name was "a friend" - he has everything there. He's friendly, compelling, interesting, charming - and he's not a sycophantic, smarmy twat like Brandon Routh was. He just pulled it off....Then look at Dean "God's gift to women" Cain - ok so the source material was far from rich but him as superman, and him as clark kent - the same person, a smarmy, egotistical "Commander Riker" type which annoyed more people than interested them....

Cavill has a lot to live up to.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

Sad.

From what I've seen the most popular DC stories are Batman's.

And for a good reason.

I thought "Year One", and "Dark Knight Returns" were amazing.

I don't really hear much about any of the other heroes. Everyone is such a Bat-wanker these days.

I thought DC didn't like using Doomsday alot because he was to much of a gimmick character?
    They actually tried to expand on the Doomsday character a few years ago, making it so that every time he died he resurrected and grew stronger, and he was no longer able to be killed in a way that he had already died. They even tried giving him a personality and the ability to speak.

It was an epic, epic failure.

Batman: Year One was one of the greatest comic book storylines ever. It's right up there with another one of Frank Miller's pieces, Daredevil: Born Again (which I personally feel is the greatest story in the history of comics). Batman is the one character that DC gets right on a regular basis. The rest of them...erm, not so much. Excluding Batman, I think the only story arc DC has managed to get right in the last ten years was Tornado's Path in the new Justice League series.

I'd love to see more of the DC Universe used in movies, but really, who would they use? The Flash? His two best-known villains are Captain Cold and Gorilla Grodd; that's not exactly a formula for a winning film there. Wonder Woman? Possibly, but she'd probably end up fighting someone like Vandal Savage which is kind of a yawn. Green Arrow? He's a personal favorite of mine, but there isn't much to build a solo movie on. Martian Manhunter? Hawkman/Hawkgirl? Red Tornado?

There's not a whole lot to work with there.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Going slightly off topic for a moment, I watched the Richard Donner version of Superman 2 last night with the girlfriend. Easily now my favourite Superman movie of all time - obviously a lot needs to be forgiven especially the egotistical point proving of Superman when he goes back to a restaurant to beat up a bully who technically had never met him - that was a bit weird.

But that scene where Chris Reeves goes back to Jor-El and begs for forgiveness and to get his powers back...man what a scene. I'd forgotten just how powerful and awesome it was. So so much better than Margot Kidder's fat arse saving Superman's powers ala the original (in case you're wondering, she sits on one of the crystals, therefore hiding it from the destruction that ocurrs when Supes gives up his powers and the crystals are all destroyed.) It was so beautifully realised. All the stupid comedy is gone...for instance the big guy's undeveloped eye lasers, the guy who insists on trying to maintain a phonebox conversation whilst being blown away by Zod's "super" breath, is blown onto his side, still talking, and blown out of the shot, still talking on the phone. Stupidness. All of that stuff is gone...and Lester's remaining scenes (which clearly had to be left in there) stick out like a sore thumb...ie Margot Kidder: "you're a real pain in the neck!" and all that. The lines they did have alternate takes for are delivered more maturely and with more passion....Zod: "Why do you say these things to me, when you know I will kill you for it?"...all that stuff. It's just a shame they released an incomplete movie as it felt there could have been about another 20 mins of story there....damn though, good movie.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Three pages about Zack Snyder directing Superman and no comments from MZ?!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Three pages about Zack Snyder directing Superman and no comments from MZ?!
    He probably couldn't understand DJ's thread title, so he didn't bother looking.

"Chris Nolan hires Zack Snyder, Who watches The Tudors and casts Clark Kent as Kal El in the upcoming Warner Brothers reboot of Superman Directed by Zack Snyder from 300 of Henry Cavill."

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Going slightly off topic for a moment, I watched the Richard Donner version of Superman 2 last night with the girlfriend. Easily now my favourite Superman movie of all time
    Word. Loved this edit. It's a shame we couldn't see it as it was meant to be, but i'm extremely thankful we got this rough edit. Donner is responsible for the modern super hero genre. He blew Lester out of the water and intended to keep making Superman movies for years to come. Instead they gave the reigns to Lester, who turned it into a farce. Then took it one step further with Richard Pryor's Superman III....
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Feb-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He probably couldn't understand DJ's thread title, so he didn't bother looking.

"Chris Nolan hires Zack Snyder, Who watches The Tudors and casts Clark Kent as Kal El in the upcoming Warner Brothers reboot of Superman Directed by Zack Snyder from 300 of Henry Cavill."

Word. Loved this edit. It's a shame we couldn't see it as it was meant to be, but i'm extremely thankful we got this rough edit. Donner is responsible for the modern super hero genre. He blew Lester out of the water and intended to keep making Superman movies for years to come. Instead they gave the reigns to Lester, who turned it into a farce. Then took it one step further with Richard Pryor's Superman III....
    I do enjoy the Donner cut and have it in HD. Great stuff. I am glad WB allowed RD to re-edit the movie as he intended it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Mortensen as General Zod? WOW!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48647
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Clark Kent's mother, Martha has been cast. And she is....holy shit! A MILF!

She's the second official cast member and there are rumors that Kevin Costner is in line to play her husband, Jonathan. Great match up, if you ask me. They're just not that old. Maybe we're getting another origin film. Perhaps a film adaptation of Birthright?

Aside from the rumors of Motensen that Neil posted above, I've also heard that Daniel Day Lewis is a possibility? I think that's a bit of a stretch, personally...
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Mar-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Mortensen as General Zod? WOW!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48647
    fuck, that could actually be a choice piece of casting.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    fuck, that could actually be a choice piece of casting.
    The only downside is now I want to hear him yell "KNEEL BEFORE VIGO!" instead.

I was almost expecting them to go with someone like Gerard Butler as Zod (which wouldn't be that bad, really), but this really is better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm still hoping they DONT go with Zod. Nothing against the character, I'm just wanting to see some more of the universe explored. But knowing Nolan and Goyer's style, even if they do have Zod there will still be several other villains.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I'm still hoping they DONT go with Zod. Nothing against the character, I'm just wanting to see some more of the universe explored. But knowing Nolan and Goyer's style, even if they do have Zod there will still be several other villains.
    beats yet another film with luthor. have they done brainiac in the films yet?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    beats yet another film with luthor.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Luthor is involved in this new film. I doubt he would be the main villain, but he could be something similar to Carmine Falcone in Batman Begins.

have they done brainiac in the films yet?
    No. Originally Brainiac was going to be in Superman 3, but they dropped all that in favor of the Superman vs Superman and Richard Pryor storyline.

Dying

United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Luthor is involved in this new film. I doubt he would be the main villain, but he could be something similar to Carmine Falcone in Batman Begins.
    This would be a nice change of pace, instead of the Superman movie status quo which seems to be "Luthor is barely threatening at all and can only concentrate on trying to steal and/or create real estate".

The comics and even the animated DC universe portray Luthor as a brilliant and extremely logic-based villain that is constantly able to out-think pretty much everyone. When you get right down to it, he's probably the single most intelligent character that DC has to offer with the exception of Bruce Wayne. Can we please, please have a movie where Luthor thinks about more than making random amounts of money off of real estate schemes and other such mundane activities?

Give us the man that has brought Superman to his knees and has actually bested the Man of Steel multiple times in the past. See the trailer for DC Universe Online for a good example. He managed to kill Superman by shoving kryptonite down Wonder Woman's corpse. That's the kind of Luthor that I want to see.

United States
    Geez, some anal comicbook fans will complain about everything. The Amy Adams bashing has started! "OMGOSH! SHEZ TO OLD!"