Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    ...Like in 'Superman Returns'...
    No, not like in Superman Returns. The scene where he attempts to stop the plane was a supposed "big strength" moment, and yet it came off as having less force behind it than, say, Iron Man simply flying.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The plane folded and crumbled under Superman's hands. Seemed pretty forceful, imo.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The plane folded and crumbled under Superman's hands. Seemed pretty forceful, imo.
    I think the issue is I'm not explaining myself very well. That is, as the kids say these days, "my bad".

For the record, I liked Superman Returns, and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I thought that Bryan Singer did a fairly good job with it, although as I've stated in the past I really dislike the way that Lex Luthor was portrayed almost more like a random crime boss than one of the most intelligent villains in the world. Real estate scam? That's the best that he could come up with? Really?

Where I thought the movie failed was when it came to showing Superman's powers. All the technical details were there. As you mentioned, the plane was breaking apart and he was obviously doing some damage to it. Where it came up short was really emphasizing just how spectacular the things he was doing were.

The best example that I can think of is the bullet that he takes to the eye. Yeah, it showed him as being super strong. What that scene lacked, though, was showing the force of the bullet actually striking him. Now, to be fair, some of that is because Singer went with the slowdown effect and, in my opinion, that took away from it a bit. But still, a high-powered round was just sent into the guy's face. In the comics, Superman isn't hurt by bullets and explosions, but he still obeys the laws of physics to the point that they can make him stumble and twist away from the impact. The walking statue approach makes it seem so much less impressive visually, at least to me.

Take Incredible Hulk, for example. In the scene on the college campus, he's getting shelled by tanks and other heavy weaponry. He stumbles around, he gets taken off his feet a few times, but he keeps coming. It's just so much more impressive to watch and, in a lot of ways, makes him seem that much more dangerous.

Plus the Hulk is technically stronger than Superman when he really gets going, but that's just comic book geekdom speaking.

The plane scene in Superman Returns was the same way for me. Sure, what Superman is doing is logically impressive. He's stopping a plane/rocket/chick from La Femme Nikita combination with his bare hands. However, I personally didn't really feel like he was doing anything phenomenal. There just didn't seem to be any "force" behind the scene. The plane/rocket/chick should have seemed like it had so much momentum behind it and that it was this giant struggle to get it to stop, but for me it was kind of like, "Oh, okay, he stopped it, cool."

EDIT: This just occurred to me. Maybe part of my problem with the way that it was done is that Superman didn't seem to have the kind of "presence" that he should have. He was kind of portrayed as "a" superhero instead of "the" superhero, if that makes any sense. I don't know if it was the acting, the directing, or the writing that caused that to happen, but it really did make everything Superman did seem less impressive.
    Last edited by Mitchified; 07-Apr-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Second Idea!

United States
    Kneel Before Recycled Villain!

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Steel%E2%80%9D

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder’s new Superman film, titled “Man of Steel.”

“Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.”
    Last edited by Doc; 11-Apr-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Going to be interesting!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was hoping for a new villain, but I love the casting! Shannon is awesome and will no doubt do the character justice.

Dying

United States
    Definitely a nice bit of casting. It also has the side benefit of people not running around yelling, "Kneel before Vigo!" Ah well, maybe someone will splice it into a clip from the second Ghostbusters movie.

The only part that makes me raise an eyebrow is this:

Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t.

While that's not necessarily wrong (although there are a number of villains more formidable in Superman's rogues gallery), they're really relying on the older movies for fan recognition. Despite having show up in the Donner movies decades ago, Zod is a relatively recent addition to the comics and, compared to someone like Darkseid or Brainiac, hasn't done all that much.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Great video, Neil. I knew this guy is a great actor but he seems like a genuinely cool and funny guy too. Can't wait to see what he does with the role.

And going back to the "is/isn't it a remake of Superman II?" thing, Screenrant posted a great article discussing why this incarnation of Zod and the story of 'Man of Steel' will most likely be VERY different from that of Superman II. It's a bit lengthy, but worth the time if you're a fan and have any issues with them using a villain previously seen on screen.

People have long been complaining about the lack of a truly epic Superman battle onscreen, and yet, now that we have a villain who can literally match the Man of Steel eye to eye (heat vision), hand to hand (super strength) and toe to toe (on the ground or in the air), the big reaction has been…disappointment? Really? The Matrix Revolutions showed us some great possibilities for a fight scene featuring two supermen (see HERE) – and that was back in 2003. What could be done today using Zod, Ursa (and possibly Non) vs. Superman is just…awesome to imagine.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Apr-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First look at the Man of Steel:

LARGE VERSION

I.....don't know what to say really. I mean, it LOOKS like Superman. But why does the suit look like snake skin? Loving the bigger 'S' shield. Long cape? No undies? Can't wait to see this thing in motion...
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Aug-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    trying to make it looks like the post flashpoint costume.

Administrator

England
    Like the fact he doesn't look too much of a pretty boy. Not so sure about the suit!? sort of looks Spiderman'esque!?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WB put out a press release confirming the cast. Russell Crowe confirmed as Jor El.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures have provided the first look at the new “Man of Steel,” revealing star Henry Cavill as Superman in the film from director Zack Snyder. The film also stars three-time Oscar® nominee Amy Adams (“The Fighter”) as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane, and Oscar® nominee Laurence Fishburne (“What’s Love Got to Do with It”) as her editor-in-chief, Perry White. Starring as Clark Kent’s adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, are Oscar® nominee Diane Lane (“Unfaithful”) and Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner (“Dances with Wolves”).

Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Oscar® nominee Michael Shannon (“Revolutionary Road”), and Faora, Zod’s evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman’s native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman’s mother, played by Julia Ormond, and Superman’s father, Jor-El, portrayed by Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe (“Gladiator”).

Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy.

“Man of Steel” is being produced by Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder. The screenplay was written by David S. Goyer, from a story by Goyer and Nolan, based upon Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and published by DC Comics. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.
    The movie was also pushed back to June 2013.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Aug-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Russell Crowe, fightin' round the universe...
    Wonder if Old Tugga is gonna be there.
    I want this to be good. Why put him and Fishburne in it?

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Why put him and Fishburne in it?
    Fishburne is in it because nothing says "elderly white curmudgeon newspaper editor" like Lawrence Fisburne.

I don't want to see Russel Crowe as Jor-El. I want to see him fight Superman as Russel Crowe.