Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3 (video game)

United States

wow

here's another video with more footage...

holy crap, i'm impressed. will likely check this one out....dunno though, CoD:MW was really atmospheric and at times gave me flashbacks of my trip to the sandbox, even causing me to have some vivid nightmares...this may be too realistic, judging by this trailer....the animation of those marines running, lighting, etc, are over-the-top compared to anything i've seen in a game yet.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 02-Mar-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: shut your face, hippie

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    here's another video with more footage...

holy crap, i'm impressed. will likely check this one out....dunno though, CoD:MW was really atmospheric and at times gave me flashbacks of my trip to the sandbox, even causing me to have some vivid nightmares...this may be too realistic, judging by this trailer....the animation of those marines running, lighting, etc, are over-the-top compared to anything i've seen in a game yet.
    Ah, you beat me to it - I was about to post this video.

Looks damn good - I take it that it's going to have a Single Player portion? I don't know an awful lot about the game, but this certainly looks like a Single Player portion of gameplay at least. Has a great look to it as well, visually very impressive, but also - as you say - in terms of motion capture. Perhaps this will do what Medal of Honor apparently failed to do (I say apparently as I've not personally played it yet, but will probably do so when it's at bargain bin prices).

Any idea when this is coming out?

United States
    Wow, I've been playing a lot of Bad Company 2 lately but that trailer is on a whole different level. All they're shown so far is singleplayer footage and BF3 is easily in my top 3 anticipated games this year.

Look for it to hit between September and November, Minion. DICE has said repeatedly that they aim to take down CoD, so it'll probably release right alongside Modern Warfare 3.

Super Moderator

UK
    MW3 versus BF3 eh? SMACKDOWN!!!

And I'll play both of them.

If they're going to launch sooner, they don't want to leave to short a gap, as COD fanboys they're hoping to win over might very well say "nah, I'm saving my money for COD", but then at the same time you don't want to leave a huge window as you might do very well, but you could end up becoming yesterday's news as soon as MW3 comes along. Interesting.

MoH for instance didn't do COD numbers, but it did well in its own right - but methinks MW3 will be a better game by far, just going on impressions of the former from the net, and interest in the latter ... also from the net.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnzx-MPpMSo&hd=1

There's a full 12 minute reveal coming April 17th - and I can't wait.

These videos make the game look boss-as-fuck, and I for one am very interested. Here's hoping the single player campaign lasts decidedly longer than 5/6 hours, though! It's something which has become a frustrating trend in shooters of late.

England
    Battlefield has always been about the multiplayer, Bad Company 2 has got me back into online gaming after quite a long hiatus so I absolutely cannot wait for BF3, it will indeed be boss!

Super Moderator

UK
    But with Bad Company came single player action ... speaking of which, I should have Bad Company 2 sometime soon. Got it for the PC at long last, but I won't be playing it online (don't have the rig I sometimes game with online, and wireless I don't care for - not that it works properly in my neck of the woods anyway) ... but I'm looking forward to some shooter action, as I've not really been gaming much for the past several weeks (aside from a bit of a bash on PGR4 earlier this month).

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    FUCK YEAH! Been a huge fan of the Battlefield games for some time now. My buddy and I have been playing Bad Company 2 since it's release... yeah, we STILL play it online (surprise for FPS'). The fact that they give out free maps (that are actually really good) is a HUGE plus, which the CoD franchise needs to take a look at.

United States

Updated "Back to Karkand" maps:

Wake Island from BF1942/1943:

In conclusion:

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Battlefield has always knocked seven shades of shit out of COD for me....BF has the edge, without a doubt. Explosive scenery, buildings toppling down, great vehicles, weapons, upgrades etc...that's multiplayer anyway - the singleplayer to the BFBC games have been, well...rubbish. by comparison to MW1 i'd even go as far as to say, embarassing, (terrible "comedy", silly stereotypical characters, ridiculous plots and sparsely populated areas with nothing to do) but with BF, you don't really buy it for the singleplayer...

I cancelled my pre-order for this game for the PC version rather than the xbox...just a shame it'll only support keyboard/mouse combos...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    the singleplayer to the BFBC games have been, well...rubbish. by comparison to MW1 i'd even go as far as to say, embarassing
    To be fair, these kinds of shooters always seem to have poor single player experiences. If you're looking for single player FPS, you look to franchises like Resistance, F.E.A.R, and Crysis, as well as more off-beat games like Borderlands. Stating that Call of Duty has a better single player experience than Battlefield is kind of like saying that vomit is better than poo; while the vomit smells slightly better, they both stink.

That's why I'll be passing on Battlefield 3, incidentally. At this point, the multiplayer FPS market is so oversaturated that I couldn't give less of a crap about a new game in that genre. I'll be waiting for FEAR 3 and Resistance 3 to get my FPS fix instead.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    To be fair, these kinds of shooters always seem to have poor single player experiences. If you're looking for single player FPS, you look to franchises like Resistance, F.E.A.R, and Crysis, as well as more off-beat games like Borderlands. Stating that Call of Duty has a better single player experience than Battlefield is kind of like saying that vomit is better than poo; while the vomit smells slightly better, they both stink.

That's why I'll be passing on Battlefield 3, incidentally. At this point, the multiplayer FPS market is so oversaturated that I couldn't give less of a crap about a new game in that genre. I'll be waiting for FEAR 3 and Resistance 3 to get my FPS fix instead.
    I'll definitely be playing Battlfield 3 - as always - exclusively in singler player mode. It looks pretty darn boss to me.

However, the single player of Crysis wasn't all-that to be honest. There were some good moments, but it wasn't amazing, or particularly stand out and the characters were mostly cut-outs of stereotypes and the plot in general wasn't so hot. The gameplay was solid, and it looked the part, and had some good action spectacles in it, but as a plot with characters it was mediocre.

Modern Warfare, on the other hand, really gripped me - and how can you not love Captain Price? Modern Warfare 2 - now, there was some GARGANTUAN plot holes squatted throughout that game, however the single player experience was an action thrill unlike most ... and we got more Captain Price, but also Soap (who you played in MW1) was now a fleshed out solider (with a killer look about him, just like Ghost). However shooters aren't about subtle plotting, this isn't L.A. Noire we're talking about here, but in terms of an action spectacle, they do a solid job ... even with MW2's woeful lack of plotting sense at certain points. It was more like a playable action movie - at which it did quite well. I connected to it only on a visceral level, and on a "DRAMATIC!!!" level with the rising music and double-crossings and so on ... however Red Dead Redemption made me feel compassion and pity and more for the main character, and various other characters throughout, but that's part of the package when it comes to a game like RDR.

FPS games don't generally rouse passionate involvement, but at times you can experience something like it in some of the best examples ... but by design they're for generating an action thrill. A rush of adrenaline. An experience.

Dying

United States
    I'm not saying that the Crysis series is fantastic or anything like that. I'm saying that it presents a more unique overall single player experience than, say, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Which, in my opinion, it does. No, the story isn't exactly on par with a novel, but the mechanics of the game and the map layouts are much stronger while CoD: MW is basically a tacked-on single player campaign in a game obviously designed for a multiplayer experience. For my money, the only Call of Duty that's come out somewhat recently that can claim to have a solid single player campaign is World at War, and even that is pushing it.

Sadly, the CoD route is the common one at the moment. All the CoDs (ESPECIALLY Black Ops), Battlefield 2, Homefront, etc. are all just bland single player games (and in the case of Homefront, bland multiplayer as well, but that's another topic entirely). Games like Resistance, BioShock, and F.E.A.R. are sadly few and far between. Unless Battlefield 3 is radically different from its predecessors (and actually different from them, not just the designing company saying that it is), it's just going to be another missed opportunity.

United States
    It's at times like these where I wonder which portion of Duke Nukem Forever is going to be better, SP or MP. It's a traditional shooter, so you'd expect the multiplayer offerings to be the main attraction, but it's also very character-driven with iconic locations and enemies, much like Halo.

Anyway, I'm getting off track, but it seems no matter what kind of shooter fan you are, there will be enough of a selection this year for anyone with an itchy trigger finger!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post

Fair enough - although I disagree with the single player puke vs poo argument - COD MW1 and COD2, in particular, were just fantastic, life changingly brilliant single player games - COD2 especially...And look at Rainbow Six Vegas - oft overlooked nowdays cos its fairly old by comparison - but Vegas 1's single player was probably my favourite of any shooter ever released - what a fantastic experience...!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.