Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3 (video game)

United States

Battlefield 3 (video game)

BF3 is this month's Game Informer cover story, and details have started to leak out:

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE’s cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York

Battlefield 3 features:

* Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.
    * Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.
    * Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.
    * Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.
    Sounding good so far! This Fall is going to be packed with great games.

England
    Man I'm looking forward to this, I'm playing Bad Company 2 a lot at the moment which is awesome, but I miss the huge open maps and aircraft of Battlefield 2! I can see some PC upgrading being required this year...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I bet our console versions will get neglected and not feature the fighter jets.

Either way, I love the Battlefield series so I'll be picking this up on day 1.

England
    I love the squad play on the Battlefield series, if you get in a team that look out for each other its really rewarding! Sometimes its good to go off on your own fragging every enemy you come across, but its better when your supporting a team who also support you, endless fun!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Man I'm looking forward to this, I'm playing Bad Company 2 a lot at the moment which is awesome, but I miss the huge open maps and aircraft of Battlefield 2! I can see some PC upgrading being required this year...

wow, so you think BFBC2 is less open? I've never played B2 - but I think I played a demo once - I thought BFBC2 was amazing...I'm still playing it. It's just AMAZING.

I take back everything bad I said about it - well, not everything. The servers are still suffering massive issues and there are some really silly coding in the game such as not being able to quit a lobby and stuff. But by and large, it's just amazing. My favourite game since Rainbow Six Vegas. Glad you're enjoying it too - theres a lot of play you can get out of it (I must be at 170 hours by now..)
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 05-Feb-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wererwrewr
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    The servers are still suffering massive issues and there are some really silly coding in the game such as not being able to quit a lobby and stuff.
    Ugggh, not being able to back out of games in between maps is possibly one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced on a first person shooter.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    wow, so you think BFBC2 is less open? I've never played B2 - but I think I played a demo once - I thought BFBC2 was amazing...I'm still playing it. It's just AMAZING.
    Yeah, dont get me wrong the maps in BFBC2 are big, especially the Harvest day & Heavy Metal ones, but in Battlefield 2 they were much bigger, they had to be to incorporate the fighter jets and 64 players. Battlefield 3 will be the same I think, huge maps where you have room for flying fast aircraft around

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Yeah, dont get me wrong the maps in BFBC2 are big, especially the Harvest day & Heavy Metal ones, but in Battlefield 2 they were much bigger, they had to be to incorporate the fighter jets and 64 players. Battlefield 3 will be the same I think, huge maps where you have room for flying fast aircraft around
    I'm sold on it already....! What a great game - great series it seems. The destruction elements are impossible to put into words, its just fantastic
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    More good news. If you remember, DICE released a "Gold Edition" of Bad Company 2 for no extra charge for those who preordered, and it contained a few extra weapons. They're doing it again this time with BF3, except the bonuses are way, way better; classic maps and weapons from BF2, including "Back to Karkand":

This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more. For those who don't pre-order to secure the limited edition, Battlfield 3: Back To Karkand expansion content will be available for purchase approximately one month after the game's release.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    This might be my first ever pre-order....

United States
    Details and scans from Game Informer:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
    -Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
    -Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
    -Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
    -Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
    -Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
    -AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
    -No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
    -Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
    -Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
    -Plan on better, more immediate post release content
    -More unlocks than BFBC2
    -Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
    -4 classes
    -Will talk about squads "later"
    -Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
    -Will have co-op
    -There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
    -BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
    -They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
    -Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
    -"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
    -There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
    -Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
    -More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
    -PC version is lead version
    -Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
    -No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
    -Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Frostbite 2.0 sounds amazing.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    my first ever pre-order!!! roll on autumn!!

United States
    EA wants to charge for maps as DLC? Well that explains why they don't want to release mod tools. Why help the community if you can soak your player base for remakes of classic Battlefield maps.

Hope they find a better anti-cheat system than Punkbuster.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    First gameplay teaser:

I'm hyped!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    First gameplay teaser:

I'm hyped!
    Fuck I hate these cock-teasing teaser trailers where you literally almost see sod all.

Still haven't played Bad Company 2 yet, come to think of it. I enjoyed Battlefield 2, so I will no doubt play this at some point - will it just be multiplayer (with a bots option), or will it have a single player storymode as well? By the looks of that trailer, it must surely have SP - which is what appeals to me. Multiplayer can jog on.