Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V (video game)

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I've been watching lots of let's plays and walkthroughs online, but this is really a game that doesn't lend itself to stuff like that, because you find yourself mad at the person playing because they aren't looking at what you want to see, or using the weapons you are curious about..etc..

This year has really been a downer for me. I got injured at work in July and haven't had a paycheck since. Workers compensation is covering the medical bills, but I'm not receiving any sort of pay. My girlfriend is making ends meet, but only just and I'm afraid Christmas is going to be rather lean this year.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm really curious about the combat in the game. I've been farting around with Oblivion a little lately (my left hand is in a cast and it's the easiest game to play as it usually doesn't involve too much controller movement) and even looking to Fallout: New Vegas the changes are evident. The thing that worries me though is that sense in first person that you're just moving a camera around with the thumbstick. I think that's why I never finished Oblivion, the combat was something you HAD to do, but it was such a chore, ya know? And the third person view was flat out useless!

That may be a little nitpicky I guess, but that's really the only concern I have regarding the game!
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Administrator

England
    ^^ Can't comment on the game as I've not bought it. Terrified about the amount of time it would require me to put into it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I looked on Steam before I started Skyrim last night, and was shocked that I've already put 60 hours into it in a month, and I've barely even scratched the main quest yet

Administrator

England
    I ready on the news this game is already nearing $0.7 billions dollars! Wow!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    All I have to say is, if there are more quality mods for this game, I will actually pick a PC copy of it up for play in addition to my 360 copy. I'm fascinated by the idea of even more expansive options using the engine etc.

Personally, I'd love to play a fan mod based on Ravenloft with this engine, but I don't know how deep the modding tools are for the game and what to expect in regards to completely new material from modders.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    All I have to say is, if there are more quality mods for this game, I will actually pick a PC copy of it up for play in addition to my 360 copy. I'm fascinated by the idea of even more expansive options using the engine etc.

Personally, I'd love to play a fan mod based on Ravenloft with this engine, but I don't know how deep the modding tools are for the game and what to expect in regards to completely new material from modders.
    At the very least there's loads of mods already out there to enhance/improve the graphics...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I ready on the news this game is already nearing $0.7 billions dollars! Wow!
    shame they cant afford to hire some more people to fix the goddamn bugs...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I looked on Steam before I started Skyrim last night, and was shocked that I've already put 60 hours into it in a month, and I've barely even scratched the main quest yet
    Word. I've played 50 hours. Barely touched the main quest and the only other questline I've started is the College of Winterhold. It's gonna be a loooong game.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Word. I've played 50 hours. Barely touched the main quest and the only other questline I've started is the College of Winterhold. It's gonna be a loooong game.
    Im frightened that if I follow the main questline I'll end up finishing the game fairly quickly and missing so much of the other stuff they've thrown in there!

@Childofgilead - I cant comment on the combat in Oblivion as I never played it, but in Skyrim its quite enjoyable, blocking with your shield & then lunging in with a sword/axe/mace strike, or using enchanted weapons which freeze enemies, set them on fire or absorb health & magika points from them, not to mention using magic attacks on them or summoning zombies and other creatures. The combat AI isnt fantastic but it works well enough, enemies will block your attacks and counter your blows, usually while insulting and taunting you at the same time, and sometimes when your getting the better of them they'll yield or run away. The game sometimes goes into a cool camera mode when your character delivers the finishing blow to an enemy too.
    Last edited by Tricky; 17-Dec-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: hggb

United States
    Yeah, I've seen videos of the..executions? Finishing moves? Dunno, but they seem pretty boss. I've been browsing the wiki, trying to find out the weapons and clothing options and everything. I guess I'm just a geek for customization. I think it's really refreshing for a single player experience really. So many games just have multiplayer tacked on nowadays, even if the gameplay isn't really conducive to that sort of thing.

As for the bug reports..unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me at all. I've been pretty much a day one buyer of the Fallout series and some of the bugs in those games are unworldly. I understand they're wide open world games and all, but you'd think Bethesda would have a robust bug team. I think that the gaming industry as a whole has really slipped because of the mentality that they can just patch it later. But not everybody has access to or even wants to plug their console into their broadband connection, so it's really unfair to do business that way. At least in my opinion.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

England
    This game is absolutely incredible. I've got nearly 100 hrs on it already.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just started playing this today and I've already spent like 5 hours, on only two quests. I informed my girlfriend that she's going to have to let me have the living room for a while, because this is going to eat up my spare time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    This game is absolutely incredible. I've got nearly 100 hrs on it already.
    ...and this is why I will not buy it!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...and this is why I will not buy it!
    Yeah. You've got to have a lot of time to devote to it to do it justice
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA