Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V (video game)

Ireland
    You won't need to.

I spent months playing the game and didn't even bother with the Mages Guild quests.

You end up just following your own path.

It's a fantastic game. I was nearly in tears taking it off the Hard Drive.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Ok, So I gave it another chance last night. . .did a few quests. . . and I must admit, i'm liking it more. I still have no idea how to do certain things, like enchant stuff, and capture souls. . . .but it started growing on me a bit last night.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Out of all the games I've played, the elder scrolls games are the best. I have been waiting for this to come out for 5 years.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ok, So I gave it another chance last night. . .did a few quests. . . and I must admit, i'm liking it more. I still have no idea how to do certain things, like enchant stuff, and capture souls. . . .but it started growing on me a bit last night.
    Neither did I. Haven't a clue about magic, but my character didn't need to. He was more of a brute, than a mage type.

The point is not trying to complete everything, but "living" your life in the game, if that doesn't sound too stupid.

I spent most pf my time in Oblivion just strolling around on my horse picking up quests and discovering places. It was fantastic.

It seems overwhelming at first, but really it's a fantastic game experience. I actually played it in real time too. You can change the time sclae on the PC and I walked or horsed everywhere.

Loved it.

United States
    The only bad things about elder scrolls and fallout on 360 are the glitches and freezes. I hope the new one doesn't have many.

Ireland
    That's why you should get those games for the PC. I don't know how anybody plays those type of games on a console.

United States
    Have Bethesda said if they're bringing back dungeons that auto-level with you? That was the worst part about Oblivion.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Have Bethesda said if they're bringing back dungeons that auto-level with you? That was the worst part about Oblivion.
    what.

So you want to go back to paces that are absolutely no challenge, waste hours killing crap that yields no decent xp for your level for out dated rewards?

UK
    I think the issue with the way Oblivion scaled with you is that it rendered the whole XP/levelling up process pointless, you were no more badass at level 10 than you were at level 1. The whole experience and stat increases in RPG's is so your character can become the big hero/villain, feel more powerful and have a sense of character progression that you don't generally get in other games. If you can complete a game at level one, what's the point of having an XP system in the game? It all counts for nothing. And yes, part of the fun is indeed going back to places to nail the monsters that gave you grief earlier on – if only for petty revenge - it's nothing if not cathartic at the very least! Or maybe I'm just small minded that way, lol.
    Having said all that, it didn't stop Oblivion being fun (shutting the umpteenth oblivion gate did that!), I'm sure that in isolated pockets in Skyrim it won't really be noticeable, and besides, we'll all be too busy crapping ourselves hiding from dragons to care... heh...heh...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    what.

So you want to go back to paces that are absolutely no challenge, waste hours killing crap that yields no decent xp for your level for out dated rewards?

For me, the best parts of these games are about exploring new places and overcoming certain challenges. I didn't even finish Oblivion once I realized the game was leveling with me, and dungeons/crypts were filled with randomly generated enemies that were similar to my level.

The sense of exploration is much greater in F3 and NV because the game isn't holding your hand the entire time. I just wish there were places in Oblivion like Dead Wind Cavern, places where low level characters can still check out, even though they'll probably get annihilated.

UK
    Time to start planning those adventures... Ye olde Skyrim sat nav is now available:

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-sc...1199227p1.html

Oh yeah!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'm so genuinely excited by this game. I can't wait.
    It's been a couple of years now of massively disappointing games that I have had no fun playing. So many returns and exchanges for crappy titles that should never have ended up in my collection. Even so far this year, with my purchases of games being limited to about three or four titles (purchase really means played til the end - lots of titles "procured" but either not played or only played half of the game before being pissed off with it.) I've yet to find a game this year which is actually worth playing for more than five mins. Dead Island is good, but not amazing. Just got FEAR 3 which seems pretty boring, and stuff like Deus Ex and The Witcher 2 haven't held my concentration from more than a few hours.

Skyrim though should beat all this hands down. If it's anywhere near the coolness of Oblivion, we're onto a winner. Ob wasn't an amazingly pretty game, but it was so playable and had some really nice relaxed places to enjoy. I think my days of war shooters are over, to be replaced with some great RPG games like this. It's just a shame there aren't more games around like Morrowind, Oblivion, STALKER, etc...first person, deep RPGs. This should be a nice fit into my collection - I just hope my machine holds up, which sounds ridiculous but The Witcher 2 caned my system even with the GTX 590....

edit - turned off uber sampling and witcher runs on Ultra perfectly...
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 12-Oct-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: wer
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im trying to get excited, i really am, i LOVE the elder scrolls games.

but then i think of the sheer refuckulated bug fests of fallout 3- and new vegas that i literally could not finish since the game spawned me outside the final area in an invisible box...

United States
    tried oblivion, but put it down (and ended up selling it to a friend) due to the same reasons listed by clanglee. doubt i'll ever bother picking that one up again, but i'm very impressed with what i've seen of this game thus far and think i'm gonna give this one a shot.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan