Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V (video game)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The thing i got from that which is maybe the most awesome is that you could literally play this game for weeks, maybe months and not touch the main quest. It's so far from linear it's not even funny.

Although, I'm wondering how I'm going to fit this in with all the other games coming out. Next week alone I'm getting ACR, Rayman, Halo Aniverssary And SR the 3rd. This is on top of not evn touching uncharted 3 yet and being totally addicted to MW3 multiplayer. My plan is to Get all of those out of the way first because it looks like once I crack Skyrim open nothing else is gonna get played.

Cool stuff though danny.

Thats what I'm like, I really should finish Dead Island, GTA4 and give the awesome Battlefield 3 some more of my time before buying Skyrim, but I keep watching videos of it and its got my attention and captured my imagination more than any game has in years. I hope when I do finally buy it (probably in a couple of weeks) that I'll enjoy it as much as I think I will, and I hope the bugs I've heard about don't ruin the immersion for me!

England
    Shit. Im gonna say it.
    This is the best game i have played in 30 years of gaming. Even the side quests are epic. I'll give you an example. I've started a storyline to become a bard (yes i know). In the 1st mission, after quite a trek through a dungeon with all sorts of puzzles, i've ended up in a big chamber fighting side by side with a friendly ghost, whose been helping me out, against the undead. Now it doesn't get much better than that and this is a side quest which is only really there for you to shape your character/class.
    My advice is dont buy this unless you can devote a lot of time to it to do it justice.
    Superb and surprisingly varied game.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Damn Kidgloves...now I may have to slap it in the 360 sooner than planned. Glad you like it

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here...Gears 3, Battlefield 3, some strategy PC games, another 2nd hand 360 game (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, which I've been wanting to mess around with) and now I went and picked up Skyrim Friday night....talk about a full dance card!

Danny, quick question: I know you mentioned some of the issues with archery already, but do you find that it's compounded by limited range and a relatively quick groundspeed for targets? That tends to usually be my big issue with bow/crossbow weapons in games like this.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I started my first character today. A High-Elf necromancer. Having a great time. Brings back memories of Bloodmoon and Solstheim. Solstheim was my favourite part of Morrowind, hands down, so this is so kick ass. I usually play a warrior, that's why I thought I'd go all out necromancer with this one. Necromancy was impossible in Oblivion, so it was kind of a wild-card, but one of the first spells I came across was "wake dead". Kick ass.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    INecromancy was impossible in Oblivion, so it was kind of a wild-card, but one of the first spells I came across was "wake dead". Kick ass.
    Damn, that sounds tempting. I'm leaning towards a ranger-style combatant, currently...but who knows till I actually start up a game.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    I guess it settles that age old argument - anyone who thinks video games cannot be considered as art clearly hasn't played this. It's just jaw dropping at every turn.

Also, not sure if it's just me, but I'm sure I'm hearing occasional music cues from Morrowind when wandering round the cities. Either that or it's very similar. Awesome which ever it is.

On an adventuring note, just spent a ton of money on a house and some furnishings - livin' the dream! Flat broke now though, can't decide on an enchanted Dwarven bow or a horse... hmm maybe I'll see what my housecarl thinks, lol.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im up to lvl28 now on my nord rogue and theres a few things bugging me.
    1: the archery is really broken compared to oblivions, i know i said it before but the arrows go through heads and alert whole rooms you are there. very annoying.
    2: i have 56,000g with nothing to buy and full inventory of crap to sell. im constantly overcumbered or leaving valuable loot behind but each shop has between 700 and 200g so to sell my inventory i must go to every store in the game then wait a few in game days and do it again after each dungeon i clear through.
    3: rather than just give you a list of quests all the side quests are lumped into one grouping. this is the most annoying thing yet in game. i will be told 'find the body of X's missing sister and its giving me direction to bear pelts i need because these are in the 'minor quests' category. id rather just have a list of individual quests like every other bethesda game ever.
    4: more voice actors but like 1 to 2 things said across the entire town.
    5: so far i either find forts or ruins full of bandits or necromancers or hagravens and maybe the odd giant or thief. aside from that i experience NOTHING but wolves and spiders and at this point even without doing the main plot i have covered the whole map and the sheer lack of enemy types is the biggest disappointment. i have put in like 17 hours and most of it has been spent killing the zombie vikings or bandits. thats a lot of content but not a lot of variance.

dont get me wrong, great game. but so far its only really out doing oblivion in the graphics department for me. other than that its more bland and more samey than morrowind or oblivion. that or im very unlucky and all the good questlines have yet to be stumbled upon because thus far every one has been 'go clear ruin of zombies' or 'investigate ruin, turns out necromancers killed everyone. again' its kind of a let down in the rpg department so far for me
    Last edited by Danny; 14-Nov-2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: sdfsdfd

United States
    sadly, i've had a busy weekend and very little time to play this. i have been very impressed with everything thus far, and should have a couple of evenings this week free to really sink my teeth into this one.

and speaking of teeth, i just discovered that you can actually become a vampire or werewolf in this game...incredible. sounds like that could be a rather amusing time.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    ha ha if only, i do a lot of weight training so need to keep up the food intake!
    Whats it like then chief, first impressions?
    f*cking amazing.

-- -------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    From what I have read so far, the PC version does have the better graphics.
    Of course it does! :P 1920x1080p output verses an up-res'd 640p picture....Direct x11 vs Direct x...8, 9? probably 8...I got a shedload of screen grabs of this game running on Ultra settings - I'll post them up soon.

-- -------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

So I've put in a few hours over the weekend and am up to level 15....just milling around I have found various settlements and am currently enjoying the College of Winterhold's missions.
    I'm currently being followed by a chick called Lydia who's useful to stash my shit with but I keep buying spells and thusly forgetting to save up for a house. I really need a house to store some of my potions, ingredients and stuf in because I'm very encumbered by all my shizzle.

Some environments are a bit "fallout"y for me...sparse and a bit baron, the more verdant areas are the most interesting whilst the snowy areas which unfortunately dominate skyrim are probably the least interesting

-- -------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Here is a screen by screen comparision for the 360 vs PS3.

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...vergleich.html
    Hmm, not much use considering it's a higly compressed flash video at a much lower resolution than the output of the actual consoles...! Kinda like taking a picture of a 50 inch TV screen with a camera phone and saying "hey, look at the picture quality of my telly!!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    and speaking of teeth, i just discovered that you can actually become a vampire or werewolf in this game...incredible. sounds like that could be a rather amusing time.
    You could in previous ones too! Became a - excuse the pun - a pain the neck trying to get cured!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    I didn't get it lauch day and I was too hungover on Saturday to enjoy it, so I spent all Sunday on it and have reached level 14 - I think.

What an outstanding game, the graphics on the PC are amazing (auto detected my setting should be at High ) and the maps are so diverse I don't think I have seen the same dungeon layout twice.

Have to admit the physics are out by a bit, things you kill have a tendency to slide all the way down a hill if not blocked, and I have seen a clip of a guy who freezes a bear way up in the mountains, the bear starts rolling down the hill and gets faster and faster until it creates its own gravity as it warbles in the air.

Still, these things can be fixed, even a modder can sort this out. It does not stop me from enjoying this immensely.

P.S: Those who got the map with their game, take a closer look.

Ireland
    Can't wait to play this. But, I'll be out of my home until Feb next year due to flooding last month!!

Ah well, at least there will be some mods by the time I get around to playing it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Got some time to write a longer post about this epic f*cking game.

I am a "woodland elf" in Skyrim. I chose this because I liked the idea of being able to command animals, but I've rarely used it.
    my (spoiler-less) route through the game has been as follows: did the first quest, left Helgen, followed the dude around and spoke to King of Whiterun who introduces you to the quest which gets you the shout ability - once that was done I was invited to see the redbeards, but I didn't bother. Off I went exploring....!
    I did the Golden Claw quest and ended up making a break for the Winterhold. Got there and was introduced to some new missions, but left them before leaving to explore the area. Found a house on the map full of anti-daedric crusaders but they won't talk to me! I guess my reliance on the "summon flame atronauch" spell didn't do me any favours there - but with one follower (Lydia) and the flame atronauch (just purchased the familiar conjuration spell but not used it) you're pretty much unstoppable in any battle.
    So a few hours in I do a few quests and now all the enemies are dying after about 3 hits. Literally. Skelton warriors and the like are taken down with around two hits - or one hit and a concetrated blast of anything from my destruction spells....the only enemies that have caused an issue was a troll and a mammoth which I stupidly tried to take on about 1 hr into the game - after some lady asked for a Mammoth tusk.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have already fixed two problems I had with Skyrim, thanks to it's extreme modability.

I felt the mouse movements were very unsmooth and the field of vision was very narrow. Somehow, despite me playing on a widescreen monitor and the game featuring many epic, grand locations, it didn't feel all that epic. So I changed the Field of Vision in the .ini files as well as adjusting the mouse movements. And now? Feels much better! Much more epic.

Take a gander at this. This is the guide I used.

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-impr...i-file-tweaks/

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Got some time to write a longer post about this epic f*cking game.

I am a "woodland elf" in Skyrim. I chose this because I liked the idea of being able to command animals, but I've rarely used it.
    my (spoiler-less) route through the game has been as follows: did the first quest, left Helgen, followed the dude around and spoke to King of Whiterun who introduces you to the quest which gets you the shout ability - once that was done I was invited to see the redbeards, but I didn't bother. Off I went exploring....!
    I did the Golden Claw quest and ended up making a break for the Winterhold. Got there and was introduced to some new missions, but left them before leaving to explore the area. Found a house on the map full of anti-daedric crusaders but they won't talk to me! I guess my reliance on the "summon flame atronauch" spell didn't do me any favours there - but with one follower (Lydia) and the flame atronauch (just purchased the familiar conjuration spell but not used it) you're pretty much unstoppable in any battle.
    So a few hours in I do a few quests and now all the enemies are dying after about 3 hits. Literally. Skelton warriors and the like are taken down with around two hits - or one hit and a concetrated blast of anything from my destruction spells....the only enemies that have caused an issue was a troll and a mammoth which I stupidly tried to take on about 1 hr into the game - after some lady asked for a Mammoth tusk.
    Do yourself a favour: make for the settings menu and change difficulty to the highest setting. In my experience, instead of having enemies level with you on a roughly even keel, it seems to create a more Morrowind-esque experience where relatively low level enemies are still common across the map, but with a drastically increased chance of stumbling into a fight with something vastly out of your league, particularly in certain areas and dungeons. Last night my level nine character fought an epic hour-long battle with a ridiculously overpowered draugr scourge I met in some catacombs, during which I expended over a hundred arrows and increased my archery, destruction, restoration and sneak skills by several points apiece. The sense of achievement when I finally took that bastard down was made it seem like an hour well spent (right before I began to wonder if I was really making the most of my time on earth). Then I found a cave full of high-level vampires and, to cut a long story short, fled. But not before vowing to return when my character was stronger to lay those sparkling pansies to rest once and for all. The game seems much more involved and rewarding this way.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 14-Nov-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: .