Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V (video game)

England
    God dammit I'm growing to hate these bad boys

Loving the game though, I wasnt quite sure what to make of it at first having not played a real RPG in a long long time, but its really drawing me in now. Also the graphics which I felt a bit underwhelmed with at first actually take on a beauty of their own once you get used to them (just dont examine textures too closely). I went to meet the grey beards earlier to learn a bit more about this shouting, and I stood on the edge of the Throat of the world looking down, what a view from up there!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    use fire, trolls have a weakness to it and it stops them regenerating. They used to one shot my poor rogue like giants do. then i got wise, launched a 6x damaged stealth arrow, then double flame as it ran up then finished it with a well times dragons breath flame shout.

United States
    I may end up jumping on the Skyrim band wagon soon if New Vegas doesn't stop being a bitch. I wasted 4 hours last night because of some BOS glitch that caused them all to get pissed at me when I didn't do anything. Skyrim isn't glitchy besides the arrows is it?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I may end up jumping on the Skyrim band wagon soon if New Vegas doesn't stop being a bitch. I wasted 4 hours last night because of some BOS glitch that caused them all to get pissed at me when I didn't do anything. Skyrim isn't glitchy besides the arrows is it?
    There are glitches but I havent found anything I would call game breaking yet! Mainly graphics & physics glitches I've seen so far

United States
    Although I haven't had much time to play it lately, I just wanted to echo the sentiments in this thread; Skyrim is just awesome. So much to do and see, with a fantastic soundtrack to accompany your travels. The Dark Brotherhood has just let me into their hideout, hopefully their quests are as good as those in Oblivion.

Also, the game seems relatively bug free for a Bethesda game; only one lock-up so far.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Although I haven't had much time to play it lately, I just wanted to echo the sentiments in this thread; Skyrim is just awesome. So much to do and see, with a fantastic soundtrack to accompany your travels. The Dark Brotherhood has just let me into their hideout, hopefully their quests are as good as those in Oblivion.

Also, the game seems relatively bug free for a Bethesda game; only one lock-up so far.
    they really aren't, theres very few quests and they try to compensate it by making it 'epic' but as a story its really really dull. my only big disappointment in the game compared to skyrims.

right now im at 89 hours in at lvl39. i got a lot for my moneys worth but im kind of wanting the main stuff to just end already. I dont care about the imperial/ stormcloaks thing and would rather get back to the dragonslaying.

some things that bug me:

i have over 200,000g and nothing to spend it on. you buy and upgrade a house and upgrade the dark brotherhood hideout, other than that money is pointless.
    Most of the shouts are never needed ever. and i still dont have the 20 for the achievement but ive found the 3 words for 18, thats a LOT of walls ive found already, makes searching for them a little dull when you get word after word for the same power rather than new powers.
    really want a patch for archery, headshots are literally impossible.

given that i think the end is near ill say this: excellent game, really stellar, makes the fallout games look like shit. However its not as good as oblivion. The voice acting is lazier. the dungeon recycling is more obvious, the world feels taller, but smaller. The sheer amount of fantastic quests oblivion had like going into a water colour painting to fight trolls made of ink or something are far, far rarer in this game. The dragons ARE a dull moving version of the random oblivion gates just like i predicted they would be.

dont get me wrong, i love it i really, really do. Its just not as good as oblivion. it looks nicer sure, but it just feels like a more uninspired mod of it than a true sequel to the likes of morrowind and oblivion. I still totally recommend it, best game of the year in fact, but still im a little disappointed that they spent so much time crafting a gorgeous landscape but filled it with so little variance other than terrain.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I just gotta say, there is something immensely satisfying about "force-shouting" a frost troll or a draugr wight off a precipitous drop to their death, amirite?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I just got that "Whirlwind" shout thingy, which is kinda useless for me as I'm playing a Necromancer, but still awesome.

I disagree with Danny on much of your comparisons to Oblivion. I think the voice acting and dungeons are superior in Skyrim, even though they were excellent in Oblivion as well. As for the world, it's hard to compare as I haven't even been everywhere yet (I've visited 4 out of 9 cities). But Oblivion's world was huge, yes. But even then, in Oblivion, a game I spent 200+ hours on (probably double that), I never even visited everything there either. And Morrowind, which I played even more, I'd say the same. By the time the next Elder Scrolls game comes out, I will not have visited all of Skyrim. So their relative size to each other matters little to me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I just got that "Whirlwind" shout thingy, which is kinda useless for me as I'm playing a Necromancer, but still awesome.

I disagree with Danny on much of your comparisons to Oblivion. I think the voice acting and dungeons are superior in Skyrim, even though they were excellent in Oblivion as well. As for the world, it's hard to compare as I haven't even been everywhere yet (I've visited 4 out of 9 cities). But Oblivion's world was huge, yes. But even then, in Oblivion, a game I spent 200+ hours on (probably double that), I never even visited everything there either. And Morrowind, which I played even more, I'd say the same. By the time the next Elder Scrolls game comes out, I will not have visited all of Skyrim. So their relative size to each other matters little to me.
    The size doesn't really bother me, its the lack of variance compared to oblivion. In oblivion there are things with little to no relevance to anything. A bunch of coffins floating downstream leading to a satanic church full of vampires. A town of lovecraftian stylings with a cult worshipping sub human things that lived in caves below the town. or even things like morrowinds 'oh look, a dead body with boots that are +1000 jump! what could go wrong!' thing to stumble upon.

Things that aren't map marker locations or things for quests but honest to god oddities with no connection to anything you could just run into. Things you replayed the game for because you know you never caught them all in your first game. Skyrim doesn't have that.

it has a lot of dragons, bandits, bears, cats and zombies. With the occasional wolf, rat, troll, or very rarely a whisp or wraith. maybe a dozen vampires at most. Its very samey with a great lack of variance. Like i am enjoying it, but when im done i dont think im going to have any incentive to play it again. for the most part 'classes' seem to matter far less and things like the speech system are almost completely removed so chances of different things happening seem to fall into the tired and cliche 'saint or bastard' stark moral choice system.

I mean i love the game. Love it, im gonna break 100 hours on it. However its flaws are just greater than oblivions. Like i've maxed all the skills i use like archery, stealth, lockpicking and so on but im only lvl 40. So for the final 20% of the levels i must grind up things i have absolutely no skill with and dont use at all like alteration magic or block or something i have no interest in doing. Thats just one example of things it does that a great rpg shouldnt. Not to say it isnt great. I just expected more of a leap y'know?
    When oblivion came out i was blown away by how extreme a jump the morrowind sequel had made. Like i stood up, pointed at the tv and yelled "holy fuck!, this is amazing!" out loud i was so impressed. Best i've gotten with skyrim is 'oh hey, that looks cool". The combat feels worse, the movements still floaty and so on. I just expected more of an improvement than the one we got is all.
    Last edited by Danny; 20-Nov-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: sdfsdf

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Rewind 6 years, replace every mention of "Skyrim" in your post with "Oblivion", and use "Morrowind" as a placeholder for where you refer to "Oblivion" and you have a perfectly generic forum post 6 years ago. Your reaction is incredibly standard, to be honest. When Oblivion came, people moaned and bitched about it. Heck, the exact same thing happened to Morrowind, "failing to live up to" Daggerfall and all that.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Oblivion was a very lazy game in some respects....I dunno how people felt that to be more varied as the actual places to visit were usually one of four variations - with a different layout....The landscape outside was very flat and you could basically run from one end of the game to the other in a straight line and reach the coasts - in Skyrim you can't do that at all....for better or worse. The only thing I can safely accuse of being samey is the Inns in various villages and towns, which all have the same layout. As for everything else, it's pretty varied. However I can see some lazyness in the overall design of the game.

For instance it's far easier on the computer's resources to have a low depth of field and a blur covering the horizon, whilst being obscured by snowy weather...this is most definitely why being in the more populated or verdant areas of the game affect it's performance insanely...and the majority of the game is set within a snowstorm....

But by comparing Skyrim to Oblivion I just don't think the two match up. Skyrim is closer to Fallout, and it takes from it, all the cues of lazyness that Fallout 3 and F:NV suffered from - for instance the most populated areas of the Fallout games were places like Megaton and The Strip - and let's face it, these areas are hardly populated, bustling metropoli that we'd kinda love to see. Luckily for Fallout the apocalyptic setting lends itself to a sparsely populated environment but not with Skyrim.

However that said, the game is still HUGE. I've seen plenty of enemy variations and they're getting stronger and stronger. Plenty of vampires have fallen to my sword - and the things they've lost from oblivion help the game move along nicely. There were too many variations of the same spell in Oblivion, and too many kinds of random spells which were useless...so it feels more streamlined...

However I doubt I'll be getting 150+ hours out of it with the current levelling system....until the "level cap" mod comes out, or course...then my character wil be GOD!!!

-- -------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Forgot to add:

Gamebreaking bug found in my version of Skyrim...

The south western side of the island (I think) has a cave called BONECHILL PASSAGE....if you go in there, be prepared for a crash to desktop....no way through it, it seems.

further edit - put into windowed mode to pass through Bonechill Passage, then fullscreen again when exiting.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 21-Nov-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sdSVCv WVFwefcDCAxCAEcwhoeverfillsthisshitin
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    One of the first quests I was given in the game was from a family in Whiterun who wanted me to find out what had happened to their son and later to try and free him. I found myself where he was being held last night at a prison right up in the far corner of the map (I was on another quest to find an axe with some annoying dog which took me there), anyway when I got to the prison the guards were having none of it and turned hostile when I asked about the missing guy, and it ended with me, the dog & Lydia fighting all the elven guards at the prison and freeing him, was a tough one! After we freed him and got outside the prison, a dragon showed up and we ended up having to fight that as well, I raised several of the elven guards as zombies to help fight the dragon, and when it landed on the nearby beach, a load of walrus type things came out of the sea and started attacking it! Word seems to have got round about what I did at the prison too as the stormcloaks are being even more friendly while the imperial sympathisers are being a bit arsey now....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Some modders have gone into game files and basic border breaking to reveal the entirety of cyrodil, morrowind, hammerfall and parts of a few other provinces of tamriel are in game. like complete. theres no buildings added but all the terrain is in game right now.

I think the dlc for this game is going to be MASSIVE.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Some modders have gone into game files and basic border breaking to reveal the entirety of cyrodil, morrowind, hammerfall and parts of a few other provinces of tamriel are in game. like complete. theres no buildings added but all the terrain is in game right now.

I think the dlc for this game is going to be MASSIVE.
    Whoa....WHOA! Pics or it didn't happen! lol
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.