Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

England
    Yeah, I know in other games you can skip a lot of those quests, but when you do that you end up steamrolling through the main plot in no time and not really getting your moneys worth out of the game. If the quests are interesting, varied and rewarding then its all good, but I hate the mundane ones that you don't gain anything much from, "cheers for risking life and limb & getting through most of your ammo to fetch me a gnarled twig, take this half a broken bottle for your troubles"

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Yeah, I know in other games you can skip a lot of those quests, but when you do that you end up steamrolling through the main plot in no time and not really getting your moneys worth out of the game. If the quests are interesting, varied and rewarding then its all good, but I hate the mundane ones that you don't gain anything much from, "cheers for risking life and limb & getting through most of your ammo to fetch me a gnarled twig, take this half a broken bottle for your troubles"
    Yeh, but you NEED the broken bottle half for the spell of aknashbashhashalash.

F*ck sake Tricky!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Review scores are all over the place; a 3/10 for Edge, 6/10 according to Eurogamer, IGN thinks it's an 8 and so on. Numbers will be numbers but I was wondering; apart from the whole PC vs console debate, what's the word from you Romerofans?
    Last edited by krisvds; 10-Sep-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Review scores are all over the place; a 3/10 for Edge, 6/10 according to Eurogamer, IGN thinks it's an 8 and so on. Numbers will be numbers but I was wondering; apart from the whole PC vs console debate, what's the word from you Romerofans?
    3/10? Are they mad?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    A complaint from myself is the controls. Sometimes when the zombies get too close I cannot kick or strike them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ign doesnt vote things below a 7 because they are paid by advertising, eurogamer is a joke its a group of fanboys with no journalistic integrity i wouldnt pay attention to either. and, to be blunt, i wouldnt pay attention to us either. you dont go to ask a group of heavy metal fans if a heavy metal album is good and expect the same unbiased answer as though you asked about a classical music album. You aint going to get a completely honest opinion here either. Hell any game thats remotely semi sandbox with zombies will be given an unfair bias on here just because it has zombies in it. so our opinion as a group is worthless too.

UK
    Review scores are all over the place; what's the word from you Romerofans?
    I think it captures the feel of a zombie movie better than any other zombie game I've played, the sense of trepidation as you get out your car on a lonely stretch of road to check an abandoned building for anything useful is pretty intense. I also like the fact that the zombies themselves are a genuine threat – in Left 4 Dead they're basically machine gun fodder, in Dead Rising you can charge headlong into thousands of them armed with nothing more than a teddy bear and come out the other side smiling. In this, it follows the classic theory: on their own they're they may not seem like much, but get a group of 'em together and you'd better watch your ass, and that makes a real difference. Also, I've never heard the word 'F**k' used so much in a game either!

Lol, okay as a fan my opinion may be worthless but I'd ignore the really low scores for the game, there's only a few anyway, the 8 – 9 scores are a much better reflection. May be worth noting that I'm playing an unpatched 360 version and have had no problems whatsoever so far.

We've often wondered round these parts about how cool an open-world zombie RPG would be, and it is. It's a cracking game and just so much fun to play, I dare say it's the best thing I've played all year - Skyrim had better be pretty f**king epic 'cause kicking a zombie to the ground, breaking it's arms and legs and caving it's skull in with a shovel is pretty damn special.

Now screw this sh*t, I'm off to Banoi...

United States
    Wish I could be playing....It'll be at least a few weeks before I get to play again...I was on level 10

United States
    I want this game so bad! Unfortunately, things have gotten tight since I am supporting my wife while she finishes her degree and helping my little sister pay for her upcoming wedding. Living practicaly paycheck to paycheck, I fear I have no responsible choice other than to wait until this game gets cheaper or until I can find a used version that I can afford before I will have the luxury of checking out this game. Sucks, but I can't justify the $60 expense right now.

It is cool to hear about the game, though it may be just because I get to experience this vicariously through you all. As for me, this might be worth a ramen diet in order to save up for.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 11-Sep-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: none of your business
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Ireland
    PC buyer beware.

This game WILL NOT launch without being online with Steam. Offline Steam will NOT work.

Why the fck that can't be emblazoned on the box, I don't know.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 11-Sep-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    PC buyer beware.

This game WILL NOT launch without being online with Steam. Offline Steam will NOT work.

Why the fck that can't be emblazoned on the box, I don't know.
    Standard Steam behaviour...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Not the case Neil. In most Steam games, teh player can start the game in "Offline Mode". But 'Ded Island' won't allow that.

Undisclosed
    The game is longer than I thought. There is another map besides the island resort. Later in the game, you travel to the inner city.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Not the case Neil. In most Steam games, teh player can start the game in "Offline Mode". But 'Ded Island' won't allow that.
    Oops! My bad then!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    The game is longer than I thought. There is another map besides the island resort. Later in the game, you travel to the inner city.
    I "think" there is a Jungle portion too...I took a peek at the Strat Guide at Wally World eariler just to see the enemies. I didn't thumb through it too much so I didn't ruin much for myself but.....

There are quite a few different types of living enemies. Punks, Military Types, Police, ect. I can't wait to have a run in with other survivors trying to kill me.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 11-Sep-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: ....