Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

Super Moderator

United States
    Merged threads.

Game looks great, or at least the trailer looks great! I figured this project was dead in the water.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Island - The zombie style and the story are massively influenced by George A. Romero's movies.
    That must have been before they saw Diary and Survival. Now they may not be so quick to make that comparison.

This trailer has spread around the net like wildfire. I even saw it on TV yesterday. It's good publicity for them....let's just hope it will live up to the hype.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Feb-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fuck the game, I wanna see a movie set like this. That was some very emotional stuff, and personally I prefer the original backwards version compared to the chronological version.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Agreed. Backwards version packs quite a punch.
    As for the 'inspired by Romero' bit: those are runners, not shamblers dammit. Let's just hope they don't include some 'mutated giant end of level type monsters'. Those shenanigans nearly destroyed every zombie videogame 'till now for me.
    Last edited by krisvds; 17-Feb-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: cowabunga

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, the backwards version has a greater impact on the first viewing as you learn the relationship between the characters, so it escalates and there's a greater sense of loss and tragedy when you see if played that way ... indeed the shot of the father coming for the daughter, in reverse, works very well considering the context.

The screenshots look good too, so it certainly looks the part - I just hope that the actual game will be good, and that it has the emotional impact that this trailer had. Speaking of which, whoever made this trailer should be given an award - it's a superb teaser trailer, and conveys a strong sense of emotion in just three minutes that many movies can't be arsed to bother with in 90 minutes!

The zombies are decidedly spritely, mind ... not very GAR ... but runners can be tolerated if what surrounds them is of good enough quality. Perhaps we'll get a variety in the game, eh?

I've downloaded the two versions of the trailer in HD so I can watch them over and over at my own leisure to boot.

Scotland
    It seemed there was only one runner (the bell hop who pushed through the slower zombies) so it might be a case of recently dead have more speed than those longer dead.

Administrator

England
    Here's the trailer promising it 3yrs ago

http://www.ign.com/videos/2007/08/22...bjectid=955540
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Jeez. Those trailers really evoke emotion in the viewer. What a horrific situation to be in.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Cool, thanks Neil.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Man people on You Tube are in a snit over this trailer... No one realizes the fucking kid is a zombie
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Man people on You Tube are in a snit over this trailer... No one realizes the fucking kid is a zombie
    I think it's because that for the first time people are starting to realise what we've known all along - that the zombie apocalypse isn't some jolly romp involving a few wise cracking adults running round popping zombies in the head and having a high old time, and that it's actually a grade-A shitstorm that spares absolutely no-one. Hats off to Techland for capturing the harsh brutality of a zombie outbreak in a domestic situation which, I'm sure we can all agree on, is something we don't see often enough.

The whole fascination (for me at least), of the zombie apocalypse is that it has a brutal reality to it, that's what's so powerful about the original NIGHT, that it put this inescapable nightmare world in your neighbourhood, on your doorstep and in your living room. Perhaps it's a sad reflection on the state of the genre that this gritty reality has gotten lost in recent years and it's slipped back into the (safe), realm of fantasy – and we've now got a whole generation that view zombies as just another monster, they don't realise that zombies are in fact your friends, family the folk next door. What this trailer has done has exposed them to the true horror of what a zombie apocalypse really means and the impact it would have, and maybe for the first time in their lives, it's made them sit down a think about it, and it's scared them, I mean really scared them – it's not funny any more and it's made them uncomfortable. Just like it's supposed to.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Some people lack intelligence and common sense. I may buy this game, but I am waiting for more info. It looks promising, though.

Administrator

England
    I'd be tempted to think this footage is actually video 'scene setting' (cut scene) from within the game itself? And the husband a wife are two of the characters you can play? Be clearly the father is bitten, and the wife is on her way out in seconds!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree, Danny, this has to be the best video game trailer I've ever laid eyes upon.

I'm wishing the team behind this would get together and create a feature-length CGI zombie film (Resident Evil: Degeneration, anyone?).