Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

Super Moderator

UK

Administrator

England
    ^^ Would like to see it in action, rather than such a static demo...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Would like to see it in action, rather than such a static demo...
    I'm sure they will sometime soon - interesting that that demo was, apparently, from 2007.

I wonder what it all looks like now. I too would be fascinated to see how this system of smashing up zombies realistically works out.

---------- Post added 24-Feb-2011 at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 23-Feb-2011 at 06:31 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5c9BzohM4

Here's the "Literal" song version of the trailer.

United States
    One of the best trailers I have seen. Shame there was no game play footage though.

Administrator

England
    Would be quite cool if when playing this game, you find yourself outside a deserted swanky hotel, with the body of a young girl wearing a pink top sprawled on the lawn... etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    while that is a rather epic trailer, i'm holding judgement till i see some actual gameplay foootage

and wtf is with the movie rumors? fucking game's not even out yet and the hollywood leeches are looking to milk another existing property for all its worth.

United States
    Why do alot of people prefer to be sheltered? If a zombie outbreak happened...children would indeed be affected. Bad things happen to innocent people all the time.

(CNN) -- Last week, video game blogs lit up with excitement over a game that was previously on no one's radar. The zombie survival horror game "Dead Island," doesn't have a release date yet, but it's got a remarkable, haunting trailer, one so skillfully made that it's prompted some bloggers to call it the best game trailer ever released.

Told in reverse, presented in slow-motion, it's a stunning piece of work. A chase, intercut into the scene, fills in the backstory and by the end, the two pieces of virtual film merge.
    So what happens in the trailer? A little girl dies. Horrifically. She's chased down a hallway by zombies, bitten into, then temporarily rescued by her parents. Moments later, she becomes a zombie herself. She attacks her father and as he turns in pain, she's flung through a window and falls many stories to her death. In presenting the story in reverse, the trailer begins with her body lying broken on the ground, her eye open and staring.

Effective? Absolutely. In less than a day, a game that sounded like a by-the-numbers zombie shooter had a built-in audience of worshipful players ready to buy "Dead Island" whenever it ships. Deep Silver, the game's developer, said there's been strong interest in a movie adaptation for a game that nobody's yet played.

As a gamer and as a parent of two little girls, I can say that as much as I admire the craft of putting such a game trailer together, it's not one that I can enjoy. The game itself may turn out to be fantastic, but the cinematic preview strikes me as exploitative and cynical, a successful marketing ploy meant to evoke shock and pity.
    For the rest of the article...click here ----------> http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.....html?hpt=Sbin
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 26-Feb-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: ...

United States
    not trying to sound like a cynical dickwad here, but seriously, yeah, it's a cool trailer, but the buzz about this game is ridiculous. it's a fucking trailer, nothing more. has this company produced any games prior to this?

i'll gladly eat those words when something substantial appears, but for now, all we've really seen is a well-done cut-scene-ish trailer. impressive, but not as much as some are making it out to be. like i said, it could turn out to be really good and i'll admit i was wrong when that happens, but i sense a bit of over-hyping here....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    not trying to sound like a cynical dickwad here, but seriously, yeah, it's a cool trailer, but the buzz about this game is ridiculous. it's a fucking trailer, nothing more. has this company produced any games prior to this?

i'll gladly eat those words when something substantial appears, but for now, all we've really seen is a well-done cut-scene-ish trailer. impressive, but not as much as some are making it out to be. like i said, it could turn out to be really good and i'll admit i was wrong when that happens, but i sense a bit of over-hyping here....
    oh your completely right, this is a completely different company. bloody excellent, heartwrenching trailer. game could still be complete dogshit.

UK
    Don't know if anyone's seen this - some gameplay info over on Gamespot.

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/630160...ts%3Btitle%3B5

England
    Ok this part puts me off a bit...
    "Dead Island will include several different classes of zombie, including your basic slow, shambling types; infected zombies, which are far more aggressive and can break into a full sprint; and suicide zombies, which, when injured, explode like walking bombs and deal damage to any humans or zombies nearby"

I hate when they put super mutated zombies in, it worked for L4D2 because that was a frantic silly slaughterfest, but those Dead Island trailers havent portrayed the game in this way so I think its a shame that they've decided to include "exploding suicide zombies", I mean what makes them explode? have they eaten blocks of C4 or something?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Don't know if anyone's seen this - some gameplay info over on Gamespot.

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/630160...ts%3Btitle%3B5
    More here http://kotaku.com/#!5775758/dead-isl...e-games-in-one

-Carl Sagan

United States

color me unimpressed...

like tricky dick, i'm not digging the "classes" of zombies. never got into the L4D games because of that. i'm kind of a zombie purist, just give me a game with loads of shamblers as the generalized, constant threat, and make the "bosses" be psychotic humans seizing the opportunity to rape, pillage, and murder.

after reading that article neil posted, i have to say that from what i read, i'm quite "meh" about this game. funny that they are basically just taking (what they consider to be) the good parts of other games and trying to act as if they are re-inventing the wheel or something. whenever you have to make a point that your game is "nothing like dead rising 2", yet you use workbenches (a concept from DR2 and fallout3, plus probably a few other games) to make electrified knives, yet also spout some shit about the weapons being practical and not wacky, it seems a bit contradictory.

after all the bullshit-hyping and pants-wetting over a trailer, plus this rather dull article, i have to say that i'm not interested in this game all at this point. to me, it seems like a "me too" type game that just doesn't offer anything new. in fact, as soon as i saw the trailer and screenshots, i thought "this looks like a knock-off of DR2 and L4D." and that's still my opinion on the game.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 03-Mar-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    The trailer is still spiffing, but I'm disheartened like Tricky and Prof to hear about this L4D rip-off-like approach to classes of zombies.

We'll have to see what's what when we finally get to see some footage of gameplay, but ugh, "suicide zombies"? Really?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    we have seen shit all of it so far aside from graphics. no gameplay, no interface, nothing. my opinion is out till then. as for the 'riip-off' complaints there selling it as 'all the best parts of the best zombies games over the last ten years and thats good enough to keep my interest piqued.

and frigg everyone getting there panties into a bunch over them not all being romero zombies, you are the cancer killing this genre.