Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    funny that they are basically just taking (what they consider to be) the good parts of other games and trying to act as if they are re-inventing the wheel or something.
    I didn't read it like that!? It seemed simply the article was using comparisons to other games' gameplay in order to describe how Dead Islands works? ie: They didn't take other ideas, they ended up with some gameplay elements silimar to other games...

They've obviously invested a shed loads of time (& money) in this title, so you have to hope there's some good gameplay elements backing it all up!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    That's the spirit, react to a perceived over-reaction, with another over-reaction.

Naturally we have to see footage, but just "suicide zombies" on it's own, as a single concept to which I'm addressing specifically at this time, sucks.

Now, the zombie damage stuff I'm really interested in seeing, and I want to know more about these RPG elements too.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    That's the spirit, react to a perceived over-reaction, with another over-reaction.

Naturally we have to see footage, but just "suicide zombies" on it's own, as a single concept to which I'm addressing specifically at this time, sucks.

Now, the zombie damage stuff I'm really interested in seeing, and I want to know more about these RPG elements too.
    The thing is, a game comprised solely of Romero zombies will probably be incredibly dull, unless it's got a huge tactical element to it, which doesn't lend itself to a FPS game?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The thing is, a game comprised solely of Romero zombies will probably be incredibly dull, unless it's got a huge tactical element to it, which doesn't lend itself to a FPS game?
    exactly, hence why dead rising added human psychos and even those grew incredibly fucking stale. respawning convicts in a hummer anyone?

England
    I can cope with fast zombies in a game of that style and think runners are needed in a game to make it exciting, I never tired of fighting the hordes in L4D2! but I've always disliked the mutants like the spitter, charger, witch etc, they always have to include these stupid super zombies/mutants & it ruins the feel of the game. I always disliked the bosses in the resident evil series too barring the first game!

United States
    @ neil:

mz and i have gone on at length about it before, but it bears repeating: a single player game with shamblers (maybe hobblers, but not balls-to-the-wall sprinters) that began early in the outbreak, had the world collapsing as the game progressed, and focused on scavenging for supplies, finding, fortifying, and defending shelters, rescuing and recruiting survivors, and managing the dynamics of the survivor group could be epic. think of a medley of fallout/GTA/the sims/dead rising.

that's my dream zombie game...

Dying

United States
    think of a medley of fallout/GTA/the sims/dead rising.
    I have this mental image of tossing a poor bastard out of his station wagon and running over the undead while my wanted meter goes up, meaning that even larger swarms of zombies start to target me, all the while blasting Flock of Seagulls on one of the radio stations.

I would ABSOLUTELY play that game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    @ neil:

mz and i have gone on at length about it before, but it bears repeating: a single player game with shamblers (maybe hobblers, but not balls-to-the-wall sprinters) that began early in the outbreak, had the world collapsing as the game progressed, and focused on scavenging for supplies, finding, fortifying, and defending shelters, rescuing and recruiting survivors, and managing the dynamics of the survivor group could be epic. think of a medley of fallout/GTA/the sims/dead rising.

thats not a videogame though, there is no true escalating challenge, thats a masturabatory survivalist fantasy nothing more.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I can cope with fast zombies in a game of that style and think runners are needed in a game to make it exciting, I never tired of fighting the hordes in L4D2! but I've always disliked the mutants like the spitter, charger, witch etc, they always have to include these stupid super zombies/mutants & it ruins the feel of the game. I always disliked the bosses in the resident evil series too barring the first game!
    I'm not a fan of runners, as many of you will know (), but in the right circumstances they can be tolerated (the raptor shriek, not so much, mind) ... but I don't like this idea of "suicide zombies" ... and I wasn't keen on the idea of those ones from L4D, not that I've ever played those games, but I just don't like the idea of 'classes of zombies' so much ... indeed that's an element that I'm not keen on being in Undead Nightmare (not that I've played it ... YET), but being that it's RDR, I'll play it for sure.

@ neil:

Damn straight - and just think, as the game progresses, there are more and more shamblers, so you have to be inventive about how you get around, and indeed the further you get into the game, the hoardes of shamblers might easily be avoided - but there'd be just as much (if not more) from other human beings (think the biker gang in Dawn). It could be FUCKING EPIC.

Man I'd love that!

Administrator

England
    @ neil:

I absolutely agree!

It would have to be uber tactical, with line of sight and hearing for the zombies. Personally I think a step time game would be best where you could move all of your team using points. Points could be used (each turn) to shoot, move or do other things (eg: open doors etc etc). You'd do various levels, with various goals. eg: Obtain supplies, help some survivors escape, or maybe close down a mall?

Real time FPS and shamblers though, just doesn't seem to fit well, as the tactical element sort of gets lost...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    thats not a videogame though, there is no true escalating challenge, thats a masturabatory survivalist fantasy nothing more.
    obviously, our OPINIONS on what constitutes a video game are vastly different. i really don't see how what i described falls under your broad "survivalist's wet dream" blanket, but to each his own.

while what i described may not hold the attention of some ADHD kids, it seems like something many would enjoy rather than the frantic run and gun style game with sprinting infected with 6o-foot tongues or those that charge you like a ram, blow up, etc. to me, those are just gimmicks, and while they bring something original to the table, different people have different tastes, ya know?

and please don't assume that because i'd enjoy the previously mentioned concept, i have a stockpile of guns and survival gear and masturbate thinking of how bad-assed i'd be if "teh zombiez" were real, it's kinda rude....not sure if that's what you're going for, but it sure seems that way.

EDIT: as for the escalating challenge, like MZ was saying, think of an epic scenario where your shelter was being attacked, similar to the bikers in dawn or the governor's group attacking the prison in TWD.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 04-Mar-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    obviously, our OPINIONS on what constitutes a video game are vastly different. i really don't see how what i described falls under your broad "survivalist's wet dream" blanket, but to each his own.

while what i described may not hold the attention of some ADHD kids, it seems like something many would enjoy rather than the frantic run and gun style game with sprinting infected with 6o-foot tongues or those that charge you like a ram, blow up, etc. to me, those are just gimmicks, and while they bring something original to the table, different people have different tastes, ya know?

and please don't assume that because i'd enjoy the previously mentioned concept, i have a stockpile of guns and survival gear and masturbate thinking of how bad-assed i'd be if "teh zombiez" were real, it's kinda rude....not sure if that's what you're going for, but it sure seems that way.

EDIT: as for the escalating challenge, like MZ was saying, think of an epic scenario where your shelter was being attacked, similar to the bikers in dawn or the governor's group attacking the prison in TWD.
    It almost seems like what you're suggesting is something along the lines of Starcraft, only with zombies. Kind of like if the Oregon Trail got knocked up by Age of Empires.

I've always seen the perfect zombie game as being a sort of FPS/MMORPG hybrid. It would basically take the Borderlands system and implement it into an open world environment that also includes quests, instances, raids, etc. There would be different classes, obviously, each with a different skill set. The only thing that I think would basically have to happen to make the game marketable would be including other zombie types besides typical shamblers, or at least a wide variety of other threats. Probably a mixture of both. Otherwise the game would eventually feel repetitive no matter how well it was done.

Administrator

England
    I Started off knowing very little about dead island, i watched the trailer that was posted and got really excited about it, then i read up abit and realised it was a FPS game and my heart sank.

Now ive finally seen a gameplay video, it just looks like a cheap knock off of left 4 dead to me. Am i the only one who is totally turned off by this?

United States
    not at all, man. i've been skeptical since the trailer. everything about this game looks lame to me, probably won't even bother playing it. like i said earlier, looks like a total rip-off of DR and L4D. and the articles i've read about it are not helping, as they keep making those comparisons. doesn't help that the developers keep contradicting themselves either...

Super Moderator

UK
    Where's this gameplay footage then? I can't find it.