Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Dead Island (video game)

Remember 3 years ago i posted about a sandbox free roaming fps zombie survival horror set on a tropical island resort? inspired by far cry, system shock and lost?

Turns out its alive and kicking and it announces its return with a chilling, genuinely emotional trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg
    ^ YOUTUBEHD by webmaster!

Honestly thats more engaging and interesting to me than anything zombie related i have seen in a long, long time. Also possibly the best videogame trailer i have ever seen. it isnt some amping up generic shite to get you excited, thats a genuinely sad thing that stands on its own and i am very impressed- like the technically trained filmmaker in me is impressed with this. I expected generic shitty metal and gore for the sake of it being 'teh hardcores'.

See this kind of showed why i did not care for the walking dead, because there are ways to pull of zombie scenes that arent romero copies or played for comedy laughs or gross out extremes. I got more of a LOST vibe than night of the living dead with this and i want a zombie movie like this. With no dialogue in a 2 minute trailer we get a story of a tragic family event that just happens to be occurring because of a zombie virus. Its a powerful scene and it doesnt require any attempt to be anything but a sad scene.

Honestly i think thats what zombie films need to get out of the recent funk. don't be 'zombie films'. be films with zombies in them. If you get what i mean.
    Last edited by Danny; 16-Feb-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: ddcddvdvdvdsvv

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow dude. That was pretty damn moving...

Looks good, but to be honest i've long since grown tired of the zombie video game genre. Even Undead Nightmare, while decent fun, has not been anything spectacular. I would much rather play RDR by itself.

I'm definitely willing to give this game a try, though. Looks promising so far. That trailer brought a tear to my eye...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    . That trailer brought a tear to my eye...
    i know right, ive watched it again and im gonna alter my opinion and say without a doubt its usurped mass effect 2's launch trailer or gears of wars mad world trailer as the best videogame trailer i have ever seen, its bloody superb.

UK
    Holy crap - talk about the return of the living dead! Thought this was long gone. Awesome trailer, looks like my 2011 shopping list just got longer...

Scotland
    Wow, really impressed with this.

This is how it's done!

United States
    Wow, that looks really good! Thanks for posting.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Some details:

Release date
    Description
    - first-person melee combat
    - 4-player coop
    - weapon customization
    - set on an open world tropical island
    - RPG elements for character development
    - hordes of gruesome zombies

-General information-
    Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode.

Developed for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

So many good looking games this year, good lord!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I couldn't tell for sure in the trailer. Do we know if these are shamblers, runners, or hobblers?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Unfortunately it looks to me like they might be Znyders...
    "Amazing! Truly, who would've thought?! Murdoc... the zombies can't get us at Point Nemo, can they?" - 2D
    "Would you please shut up?! I've already told you a hundred times no! Look, if it hasn't happened yet, it won't, right? I mean, who's here to die and come back?! Moron..." - Murdoc
    "Oh... that's good... still, it's amazing how fast video games have progressed in just a few short years! I wonder if this is on Atari? The last game I played was Pong, and it looked NOTHING like this!!" - 2D
    I'm excited. Reserved, but excited. And yes, truly magnifique trailer there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Heres the trailer reversed, its just as sad, if not a little more so this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waQCMfVebCA

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I couldn't tell for sure in the trailer. Do we know if these are shamblers, runners, or hobblers?
    some of each, the game has a 'multi layer damage system' so its not a wireframe with certain pre designated wounds ready to go. they create a full skeleton, musculature and internal organs, you cut it and those bones break, those muscles tear, a random cut doesnt appear. its fascinating stuff from a technical stadnpoint. imagine when you slash a sword through a dozen of them and just think what the game is processing in that one action.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Hmm... they look a bit too "runny". It looked more feverish, slow-burn Fulci in it's earlier incarnations. Still, I love free-roaming games, so...
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Feb-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    I've HD'd all those youtube links

WOW! Just WOW!

Preview - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1150440p1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Island - The zombie style and the story are massively influenced by George A. Romero's movies.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Excellent trailer that.

Haven't tired of it yet, even though it's been sent to me about 5 times already!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Island - The zombie style and the story are massively influenced by George A. Romero's movies.
    Well, that's good, at least they're coming from the right starting point. But those sprinting zombies are, frankly, nothing like Romero ghouls.

United States
    Wow... that was a slice of pure awesome. I hope they can translate that emotion into the game storyline. If not, screw gaming... let them make a movie.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States

Dead Island (New Survival Horror RPG Game)

Trailer looks great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG...embedded#at=68

Sorry didn't notice the other topic...my bad!
    Last edited by Mr.G; 17-Feb-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Being a douche and not using the search function...