Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Walking Dead (video game) - Telltales

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Neil - a cliffhanger for the second season of the game no doubt. I've heard that your save game will continue over into the next game, so we'll see a continuation don't you worry.
    There's talk of a follow up?

Not sure if I'd buy it. Although I enjoyed it, I sort of feel like I've very much been there and done it now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There's talk of a follow up?

Not sure if I'd buy it. Although I enjoyed it, I sort of feel like I've very much been there and done it now!
    Yes there is a follow-up - they're working on it right now. Apparently it's due to start coming out in a few months time IIRC.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Yes there is a follow-up - they're working on it right now. Apparently it's due to start coming out in a few months time IIRC.
    "randymarshcoveredinectoplasm.jpg is not found"

Administrator

England
    Hmmm... Doesn't appeal to me at the moment... Might change my mind in time I guess...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    "randymarshcoveredinectoplasm.jpg is not found"

Well played, Clerks...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hmmm... Doesn't appeal to me at the moment... Might change my mind in time I guess...
    Well I for one simply must know what happens next to...

Super Moderator

United States
    Guys...

My wife came home tonight and found me on the couch...

F*cking crying at the climax of the end scene between Lee and Clem. I couldn't let her kill Lee and carry that around. This shit was so, powerfully sad. Yeah, the story pretty much went down how I thought it might, but having Clem going off and not knowing if she'd get out of town, or meet up with the remaining survivors. For Lee to die without seeing her safety for even the short term as a bit more of a sure thing was rough.

Well, fortunately, I wasn't sobbing, so my wife didn't realize and still has never seen me cry, but with all the emotional stuff going the last few months, I'm sure this was quite a healthy outlet, but goddamn that was sad.

Goddamn, am I the only who had a major reaction to the ending of season 1?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    My reaction wasn't as extreme as some folks, but it definitely tugged on the heart strings and bust out "the feels" as the parlance of the interwebtubes goes. A very satisfying story, and it was great how they had a child as a central character who was not only not annoying as shit (Phantom Menace, anyone? ), but also someone you actually cared about.

Ireland
    So, I got this after hearing it was Game of the Year, after ignoring it completely when it was in episodic form. I'm up to Ep 4 now.

To be honest, how this won GOTY over 'Farcry 3' is absolutely beyond me. I know it was a dull(ish) year, by most accounts and that had to be a factor in it's nomination (and victory), but really, their's little in the way of a game going on here. As has been pointed out in the thread already, your actual choices don't matter a jot really and there's an incredible amount of codology going on with 'The Walking Dead'. It's sets the illusion that the resulting events could have gone differently, if you had chosen a different path...but they don't, cases in point below:

Choosing to save Carley or Doug means fuck all, as they will both get whacked by a member of your group no matter what. Carley gets hers from Lilly and Ben sorts out Doug in the exact same place. So there's absolutely no point whatsoever in rescuing either in the previous chapter. I chose Carley, cos she was a decent shot. I need not have bothered.

Also, choosing to take or abandon Lilly, after she wastes Carley means fuck all, because she buggers off in the RV anyway, once the group gets to the train sequence. Again, there's no point.

The above means that there is actually no real point to playing the "game" in 'The Walking Dead', because your are litterally shuffled from one place to the next with the exact same outcome, regardless of your decisions. Which is one hell of a deceitful excercise from a "game" that purports to "change" with your decisions.

Essentially, what you are getting here with 'The Walking Dead' is the conversation part of 'Oblivion' / 'Skyrim', without the rest.

More downsides include some of the most awful stuttering I've seen in a game in some time. This stuttering got me killed in one sequence, meaning that I lost out on the "Didn't Die Once" trophy. Not that I give a tinkers cuss about trophys. I am just including it hear for people that do care for such bollocks. I played this on a PS3 (disk version), so I cannot account for any other platform. But I am litterally stunned by the jarring that goes on. It's not like this is even a random open 'Skyrim' type world or anything.

On the plus side, I liked the graphics enough and the storyline was ok for a Quick Time Event, even though it was predicable and if I'd saw it as a film, I wouldn't have been that impressed. I do want to know what the last episode has to say, however.

I'll finish out the "game" tonight with episode 5, but I cannot honestly say that I'll be that interested in getting the next lot. Telltale really need to up the ante for the next installment and look into the possibility of having some real repercussions for players decisions, as this is the game that they are actually trying to sell.

Still, absolutely staggered that this got GOTY.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    @Shoot:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the "repercussions" - namely, there aren't really any. The story has a clearly defined path, with small alterations to certain elements depending on choices you make - so I too was disappointed by the supposed sense of 'choose your own story'.

However, I really got invested in the story, which is what made the game important to me - even if it was more of an interactive comic book than a "game".

I'll share some love with you for FarCry 3 - I loved playing that game. I totally got into it and spent many-an-hour yomping around that island - great gameplay, lots of fun, and I'd welcome a sequel to it.

Ireland
    Yeh, 'Farcry 3' was bloody great. I loved trying to stealth my way through the game, taking out the bandits one by one. Not that easy to do.

Anyway, just finished TWD...

...and wouldn't you know it, Ben dies anyway, after my feckin saving him...and he took Kenny with him. What was the bloody point? Also, the end of game sum-up is arseways. It says that I left Lilly at the side of the road, when I didn't. I got her on the RV, to decide what to do with her later and she used it to run off later.

What would have been much better, if your game choices actually had ramifications. So, say you chose to chop off your arm and that helped you to survive and walk off with the kid in the end and if you didn't, then you died and turned and she heads off by herself as it plays out in the actual game. Also, a better conclusion to the whole saving Ben's arse, would have been if he slipped and fell, but used his last few bullets to allow Lee and Kenny to escape, and if you let him die, the Kenny dies allowing Lee to escape.

It certainly isn't impossible to have multiple threads to a game of this type, christ the old 'Blade Runner' game for the PC was able to acomplish that in the 90's. It wouldn't have been that hard to have your choices build up over the previous episodes and culminate in Ep 5. It certainly would have made the game much more enjoyable, not to mention replayable.

Game of the Year my arse.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....