Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season 2 guest directors

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Season 2 guest directors

I'm sure we'll be hearing a bunch of names thrown around soon with shooting set to begin in a few months, so I figured a general thread could cover them all....

We all know that Romero was offered a gig, but at the time he was more interested in "doing his own thing".....now it appears that Darabont and company are reaching out to other directors in the genre as Edgar Wright confirmed he was offered an episode...

Frank asked me to do a WALKING DEAD, actually. But I feel that there's some subject matter that, like, even though it'd be great - and I love that show: I actually watched four of the six episodes uninterrupted in one run; it was like zombie Pringles - I think that with something like that, with some TV shows, you wanna be in on the ground floor. I really enjoyed the first season, and I wouldn't wanna be the guy that comes in and fucks it up.
    So it makes you wonder - If they've extended invitations to Romero and Wright, who else could we possibly see contribute to the second season?
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Mar-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So it makes you wonder - If they've extended invitations to Romero and Wright, who else could we possibly see contribute to the second season?

Savini could be real fun, but opening the field to directors from a genre renowned for it's many bad entries makes me a bit nervous.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    opening the field to directors from a genre renowned for it's many bad entries makes me a bit nervous.
    True, but on the other hand it could also be a blessing. I believe the general opinion is that Darabont's episode was the best of the season, while the quality dropped a bit when the less experienced or "tv directors" came in. If they could bring in more of that spark we saw in the pilot, I'm down. I'm actually hoping Darabont will tackle more than one episode this time around. The guy who handled episode 5 would be welcomed, as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    Episode 5 like a mallfucker *high five!*

That was my tied-first-place episode of the season (with the first episode). I was like "holy fucking shit!" with that episode, and I had the same reaction to episode 6 too.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Mar-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Undisclosed
    As long as the list does not include GAR I'm cool with it. I haven't seen SHIT from that man I actually enjoyed for 26 years! Actually, shit, is pretty much all I've seen.
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

United States
    I was told a few months ago that Quentin Tarantino was high on their "wish list". Another name that was brought up, that I think would be great, is John Harrison. I had the chance to talk with Mr. Harrison about that and he is definitely interested in directing an episode and writing one as well.

I'd love to see Greg Nicotero get a shot at directing one of the episodes. He has the short film "United Monster Talent Agency" under his belt, so why not?

I guess we will find out soon enough!
    Last edited by thxleo; 15-Mar-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: n/a

Super Moderator

United States
    Interesting. I like Tarantino quite a bit, but his spaghetti ambiance and offbeat approach could be great or horrible for a zombie movie. Dusk Till Dawn was a great fun crime drama romp for the first half of the film, then...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Tarantino?!?!?!?
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah. I actually like most of Tarantino's movies, but at this point he's become more of a marketing name. He's become a parody of himself and used more as a marketing angle, which I don't think would be good for TWD.

I can see it now. Every commercial for every episode of TWD advertised as "QUINTIN TARANTINO'S The Walking Dead".

United States
    i really don't want to see romero, taratino, or anybody else of that stature come in for a "guest spot", as i feel that it'd weaken the season (and series, ultimately) overall.

i loved season 1, and from what they're saying, season 2 is gonna be even better. i have faith in how they've handled it till this point, no need to bring all kinds of other chefs in the kitchen and fuck up the sauce, knowwhatimsayin? (channeling j-roc from the trailer park boys on that last bit, sorry)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i loved season 1, and from what they're saying, season 2 is gonna be even better. i have faith in how they've handled it till this point, no need to bring all kinds of other chefs in the kitchen and fuck up the sauce, knowwhatimsayin? (channeling j-roc from the trailer park boys on that last bit, sorry)
    They brought in other chefs on the first season. Each episode was handled by a different director, iirc. At least this time they have a chance to bring in better chefs. Like you said, it could cheapen the series(tarantino), but it could also help out in so many areas.

United States
    well, in my post, i was going to say that they did use a couple of directors who've also done episodes of breaking bad, another fave show of mine. but figured nobody'd want to hear me rave about that show any more....not sure which bb episodes they did, but i'll have to look into it. that show is spectacular, though.

as for season one, i really only had problems with the writing, not the directing. with shows like this, bb, and mad men, though, i tend to rate the season overall, not the individual episodes, as various episodes have to have odd pacing, dull moments, etc for the sake of story-telling. if it's all flashy and action-packed, you end up with something like a michael bay movie.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    George Lucas. No wait, the Buffy guy (yeah, I know... but, y'know?). No, wait! Um... I don't know from directors... nevermind....

United States
    Greetings to all,I have been out of touch with the Zombie scene (not by choice!)-the past few months. However i just purchased the SSN 1 of TWD. I am now caught up & getting back in gear.(Shotgun is in the works) But I am curious as to what other Guest Directors are rumored to be on the horizon for the upcoming seasons? Thanks,I forgot how much I digg this froum,you all kick ass!
    "Some describe them as ordinary looking people,others say they appear to be in some kind of trance.....others describe them as mis-shapen monsters,and things that look like people,but act like animals...Some describe seeing victims that look as tho they have been torn apart!"

United States
    Terry Gilliam, David Fincher, David Lynch. To name a few. God there could be so many that would be so good. Oh snap! Forgot David Cronenberg, for a symptom/bodily functions episode.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."