Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV's New Wonder Woman?

Undisclosed

TV's New Wonder Woman?

Caught this on G4's AOTS the other day, and the more I read about it on various sites, it doesn't bode well for our gal from Paradise Island.

Firstly, Adrianne Palicki, who I'd never heard of until now.
    Guys, tell me this is a good choice?

Second, let's write a script which removes all traces of her Amazonian Origins, just make it about a career woman who moonlights as a vigilante? This makes the thankfully short lived new Bionic Woman look like High Concept.
    It at least redeemed the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby Tv movie, which alot of folks blasted at the time. This is several times worse.

So far I think Linda Carter will still remain the ultimate Amazon.

Wayne Z

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Never heard of her either, but I couldn't care any less for a TV series. It will most likely turn out to be another Smallville - A tween soap opera masquerading as a superhero adaptation...

It's strange they're going the TV route while WB is making an honest effort to get their other DC heroes on the big screen.(Green Lantern, Flash, etc)

She's not very good looking, imho. Reminds me of Kelly Clarkson. Yuck...
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Feb-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    I'm not a fan of the concept of a Wonder Woman television series in general. Sure, it worked in the 70s, but so did Mork & Mindy.

Personally, I've always thought that a Green Lantern, Nightwing, or a good Flash series could work extremely well. Wonder Woman is one of those characters that seems to become less effective and important the more that she's seen. Sort of a reverse Oracle.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I thought Mork and Mindy was '80's... Anyway, yeah, more Smallville-type shit? Unknown actress? ANY superheroes on television? I'll pass. The only good one in recent memory (past ten years or so) was the first episode of Heroes. Because of Keroro on the Japanese guy's desk. That's it.
    "His name was Hiro. Very original, mister script-writer." - Noodle
    Oh yeah, that's it. Only interesting character on the show.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I thought Mork and Mindy was '80's...
    It split the difference, 1978-1982. According to Wikipedia the series saw a sharp decline in the third and fourth seasons, so it only really worked in the 70s.

That's right, come to Homepage of the Dead for the zombies, stay for the Mork & Mindy trivia.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Haha, thanks for filling my brain with yet more useless information. Seems I'm addicted to the stuff...
    Punk rock Mork is not...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    a script which removes all traces of her Amazonian Origins, just make it about a career woman who moonlights as a vigilante?
    Wat?!

But the Amazonian schtick is the best part.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^^^

Is that to say that any deviation from from a lesbian storyline wouldn't be true to the source material?

I'm sorry guys but between, bats actually SLEEPING with dick grayson and this DC comics were totally gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    ^^^^

Is that to say that any deviation from from a lesbian storyline wouldn't be true to the source material?

I'm sorry guys but between, bats actually SLEEPING with dick grayson and this DC comics were totally gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

The real story behind Wonder Woman might actually be stranger than the fiction. The creator was William Marston, and he lived with both his wife and his mistress in a polyamorous relationship. The whole thing with the wrapping the lasso of truth around villains and wearing the bracelets was based on the bondage fetishes that they were into. In one interview he even said, and I quote, "The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound ... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society. ... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element."

Wonder Woman was literally designed as a sex slave that just happened to be a warrior.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    The real story behind Wonder Woman might actually be stranger than the fiction. The creator was William Marston, and he lived with both his wife and his mistress in a polyamorous relationship. The whole thing with the wrapping the lasso of truth around villains and wearing the bracelets was based on the bondage fetishes that they were into. In one interview he even said, and I quote, "The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound ... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society. ... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element."

Wonder Woman was literally designed as a sex slave that just happened to be a warrior.
    Fuck me. Now that's inside info folks.

I did not know that. Good stuff. Good post.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Fuck me. Now that's inside info folks.

I did not know that. Good stuff. Good post.

You want to know something that seems even stranger to me? In the 1960s, DC tried to update Wonder Woman and changed the look of her character. They did away with the bondage slave outfit and dressed her up in something more like a woman's outfit from a kung fu movie (kind of a long robe/dress thing with a slit running up one leg). They also took away her powers and had her train in martial arts. They were basically trying to make her a stronger character that women could relate to more. The storylines were even changed to make her more of a feminist and to give her more adult stories. It was almost more like a spy series than a superhero one, kind of like Nick Fury was if you're familiar with that title.

So making Wonder Woman less of a sex symbol and getting her away from being designed after a bondage sex slave should have really impressed the feminist movement, right?

Wrong. The Women's Liberation Movement complained about the changes. It stated that doing that to Wonder Woman somehow made her less of a role model to girls and women since she was depowered and less sexualized. The WLM wanted the original costume back with some tweaks (nothing to major, just a redesign of her trademark eagle emblem and the switch from her skirt to more of a bathing suit style bottom) along with the powers. So Wonder Woman was restored back to her roots due to this.
    Last edited by Mitchified; 18-Feb-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Mar-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    Kill it. Kill it now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Kill it. Kill it now.

Seriously. That's just awful. It doesn't look any better than the popular women's halloween costume that you can buy at any number of party supply stores. Even Lynda Carter's suit in the original series was better than this.

I didn't have too much faith in the series from the start, but I believe this just totally wrecked it.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    blerg. shes a shit super hero that started as a thinly veiled bondage fetish. i dont know who will give a shit about this series. why not just make a batman series? we've had the flash, superman why not a series about the worlds greatest detective to show another side to the character other than the dark knight we see in the movies?

plus the costumes stupid when she got a redesigned one thats a lot more practical.