Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dracula 3D (film) - Rutger Hauer + Dario Argento

Administrator

England

Dracula 3D (film) - Rutger Hauer + Dario Argento

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Interesting. Given that both Dario and Rutger are somewhat past the prime of their success, this could either be a two-way career-saver, or a shameful wallow in mediocrity (like Giallo was).

Super Moderator

United States
    Rutger Hauer used to be great...maybe not as an actor, but just as a charismatic badass, but he's really in need of a transition to something more gritty and less dependent on him muttering "Don't you know I was in Blade Runner" in the mirror before he walks out to shoot a scene.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hauer's been kicking some ass in recent years, if you ask me. Batman Begins, Sin City, and now Hobo With a Shotgun looks like a blast. True, he's had some low budget stinkers, but at least the guy is keeping busy.

Can't really say the same for Argento. Although I've never really been a fan of his....
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Feb-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Rutger Hauer is the MAN.

The man has always been a highly underrated and talented actor. I will definitely see this if/when it happens.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Scotland
    I don't think Argento has fallen completely - Mother of Tears couldn't touch Suspiria or Inferno, and was just total B-movie trash, but I found it to be incredibly entertaining B-movie trash. A total throwback to old-school Italian exploitation but with good budget and a 21st century sense of humour. Definitely his best since 1985's Phenomena. So here's hoping Dracula 3D follows in the same vein... and let's just forget about Giallo and The Card Player...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hauer's been kicking some ass in recent years, if you ask me. Batman Begins, Sin City, and now Hobo With a Shotgun looks like a blast. True, he's had some low budget stinkers, but at least the guy is keeping busy.

Can't really say the same for Argento. Although I've never really been a fan of his....
    Agreed! He's being doing fine
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Don't know how many have seen "Do You Like Hitchcock?" by Argento but it's my most favorite film made by Argento and is extremely good. It is fairly new as it was made within the last decade or so.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-Feb-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: yes

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Don't know how many have seen "Do You Like Hitchcock?" by Argento but it's my most favorite film made by Argento and is extremely good. It is fairly new as it was made within the last decade or so.

j.p.
    That was a TV movie he made for Italian cable in 2005. I've not seen it but the reviews I read said it was okay, nothing amazing, but solid entertainment. Was it really as great as you say? Maybe I should check it out...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    That was a TV movie he made for Italian cable in 2005. I've not seen it but the reviews I read said it was okay, nothing amazing, but solid entertainment. Was it really as great as you say? Maybe I should check it out...
    I think it really depends on whether you're a big fan of Hitch or not. If you really dig Hitch, you'll really dig "Do You Like Hitchcock?" -- it's a great homage to the man's work. You can see elements from 20+ of his films in the flick. The fun part is picking out which specific film it's from.

j.p.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Agreed! He's being doing fine
    I dunno. Hauer used to be an arch-badass, but the only decent sized role he's snagged in recent years was proably Salem's Lot. I know he was in the lead role in a movie about...maybe Charlemagne, iirc, in recent years, but I haven't seen it. Am I forgetting decent roles of substance that he's gotten?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I would just like to see someone finally do the book justice. I read that book as a kid and it took me six months to get through it, but I loved every minute of it.
    I doubt they will, but who knows? You can always hope.
    I like Rutger. Everytime Blind Fury is on, I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sammich. That, and everytime I eat at a greasy diner, I like to do the finger in the french fries scene from The Hitcher for my adoring fans/unsuspecting loved ones.

Undisclosed
    Rutger and Argento? Im sold, it may not be accurate to the book but it will be alot of fun thats for sure.
    Why arent you laughing?

Administrator

England
    So Hauer is up to play Van Helsing in this new Dracula film... It was only a few years ago he was Dracula himself! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303929/
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah, I'd heard that a week or 2 ago. Rutger as Van Helsing? I'm TOTALLY down with that.