Thread: "Day of the Dead" Wampum mine 5k race

United States

"Day of the Dead" Wampum mine 5k race

ViP

United States
    Very cool. Hats off to that 87 year old fellow making us all look bad!

Super Moderator

United States
    Awwww, I thought they just might be dressed as zombies! Even still, it's pretty cool and I'm glad they mentioned Day. I'm fascinated by Wampum and similar large underground facilities. I mean, come on--2.5 million square feet underground! It's just amazing.

Good find, THXLEO. Thank you.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    As someone who has been inside this mine, I can say that this is a cool story. And I can also attest to the fact that it immediately changes temperature as soon as you enter.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very cool.

If this event were crossed with the one Kaos posted recently, I would have a plane ticket in my hands...

United States
    Cool story. I'd have loved to gone, except my time would've been more like 4 hours since I'd be stopping every 10 feet looking for signs of movie locations.

SubTropolis, the Kansas City based cave system, is pretty cool by the way. I stored my boat there for several years. We have two other underground business parks in my area that I've been to.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    [QUOTE=Trin;261163]Cool story. I'd have loved to gone, except my time would've been more like 4 hours since I'd be stopping every 10 feet looking for signs of movie locations.

[QUOTE]

You'd never be able to show your face around here again if you didn't.

Tin: "Guys, I went to go see the mine."

Community: "Sweet trin, so did you get a pic of the site where they barricaded off the coral?

Trin: "Uh-no. I was kind of in a race".

Commuity: "BANNED"

Last edited by darth los; 07-Mar-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: muldoon
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Are you kidding? I'd be at the corral spot in advance of the runners and when I saw them I'd holler, "This way you dumbf&*cks"

Then I'd hop on a golf cart and leave them all in the dust... cause we all know a little electric golf cart can outrun a guy.

United States
    Unfortunately, a great deal of the mine looks very different today. It would be impossible to find the area where the corral was filmed, unless you had someone from the mine to show you. They have put up new cinder block walls in areas, paved the floors in many spots, and painted the cave walls white.

My last visit was in January for a film project involving Lori Cardille and John Amplas called The Three. A worker at the mine, Skip, gave us a brief tour. He worked as a liaison for the mine and the production of Day of the Dead back in 1984/1985. He showed us where the corral was and the area was completely unrecognizable. All of the offices in the back have been demolished. All of those hallways and doors are now gone and it's just one big open area filled with shelves and documents.

There are some spots that you can still immediately recognize though, like the corridor where Terry Alexander and Jarlath Conroy walk down after they decline to go help Lori Cardille and Gary Klar wrangle zombies near the beginning of the film. Also, the giant "dining hall" where Joe Pilato threatens to shoot Lori Cardille is now used for storage. It's filled with all kinds of junk, but you can instantly recognize it.
    Last edited by thxleo; 07-Mar-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: n/a

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Are you kidding? I'd be at the corral spot in advance of the runners and when I saw them I'd holler, "This way you dumbf&*cks"

Then I'd hop on a golf cart and leave them all in the dust... cause we all know a little electric golf cart can outrun a guy.
    The final half hour of that film is pure gold and that golf cart scene is definitely a highlight. I still can't watch it without laughing.

See guys? Golf cart was a good silly but not pie fight silly (bad silly).

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Awwww, I thought they just might be dressed as zombies!
    Should of had some zombies chasing them
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    What would have made this truly EPIC, would have been to have Joe Pilato there to drive a golf cart thru everyone!

I would have fallen over laughing my butt off...

United States
    Did you see those 5K completion times? The golf cart doesn't have a chance.