Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    More Brad Pitt hate. I just don't get it. Even if you don't like the guy, he's not THAT bad of an actor. There are definitely a lot worse out there.

I'm not expecting anything that's going to change the game, but I think it's got the potential to be an entertaining flick. MPAA ratings don't make the movie.
    Watch the original Dawn or Day on network tv one time. What do you see? About 12 minutes of people sitting around, and 2 hours of commercials to fill the time. It's pretty tough to do a lot of anything zombie-wise under the Cars formula.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Watch the original Dawn or Day on network tv one time. What do you see? About 12 minutes of people sitting around, and 2 hours of commercials to fill the time. It's pretty tough to do a lot of anything zombie-wise under the Cars formula.
    Apples and oranges. Those films were intentionally made to be unrated or "X". Of course they're going to be butchered when edited after the fact for network television. With a good script and a good creative team a perfectly fine apocalyptic zombie story could be told under the PG13 rating. It would be the first, but I do believe it could be done.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Aug-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: .

United States
    More Brad Pitt hate. I just don't get it. Even if you don't like the guy, he's not THAT bad of an actor. There are definitely a lot worse out there.

I'm not expecting anything that's going to change the game, but I think it's got the potential to be an entertaining flick. MPAA ratings don't make the movie.
    No no, don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with Brad Pit as an actor; I have a problem with him BEING in a zombie flick. IMO, z-flicks shouldn't use immediately identifiable actors because it only helps to detract from any sense of realism (for me anyway). I mean, think of the original Dawn of the Dead that we all know & love. Now think of the same movie but instead starring Danny DeVito as Roger; Jim Carrey as Steven, Eddie Murphy as Peter, and Goldy Hawn as what's-her-face. BLARG!

United States
    I actually don't think that would be too bad. Except Danny DeVito is not the first (or the 1000th) guy I'd pick to play Roger.

UK
    Samuel L. Jackson as Peter – when you absolutely, positively have to shoot every motherf*cker in the head, accept no substitute!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Samuel L. Jackson as Peter – when you absolutely, positively have to shoot every motherf*cker in the head, accept no substitute!

@Rncid Carcass: "Zombies on da m#$%^ F'ing plane!" (lmao) Good choice!

@SRP76: Hmm... okay, how 'bout Gilbert Godfrey? Imagine his scream when his leg gets bit.

Undisclosed
    Production pictures from the Day of the Dead remake and even that Contagium abmonination looked really good too, but in the end a few exciting behind the scenes photos does not always equal a good movie.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Found this bit interesting in the CinemaBlend piece:

"The photos were taken by one of the site's readers and in addition to the rows of hanging zombies they also took shots of some armored vehicles and a SWAT van. Because the movie will be set on two timelines - one during the war, one after - one can assume that these are the zombies that remain in the cities after the war has ended and the hordes have been put down."
    Kill 'em All

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Found this bit interesting in the CinemaBlend piece:

"The photos were taken by one of the site's readers and in addition to the rows of hanging zombies they also took shots of some armored vehicles and a SWAT van. Because the movie will be set on two timelines - one during the war, one after - one can assume that these are the zombies that remain in the cities after the war has ended and the hordes have been put down."
    So maybe Brad won't be hopping around the world somehow being involved in the events at the time after all!?!? Maybe it will be truer to the book?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I suppose they might mess with the timeline throughout the flick using alternating flashbacks and flash forwards.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    I suppose they might mess with the timeline throughout the flick using alternating flashbacks and flash forwards.
    That's what I'm thinking. To be honest, it's probably the only way to get the book working on film.
    Kill 'em All

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Some people have seen the first trailer for WWZ and it's suprisingly positive. Terrifying, they say.

The presentation ended on a profoundly high note with a trailer for the adaptation of Max Brooks' zombie novel, WORLD WAR Z. It begins with Brad Pitt's character sitting in traffic with his family. They're busy playing a game when a cop bashes on their window in a panic. Standing near the driver side window, the cop begs Pitt to stay in his vehicle and, soon thereafter, is pummeled by a bus careening out of control. An explosion erupts and a mass of people race down the city streets. Pitt and his family hop into an abandoned RV and we get a glimpse of the world in madness. Beyond an unusual pair of eyes, we don't get a good look at World War Z's zombies, but the measures the uninfected take to reach safety might further confirm what last year's set footage revealed - that these zombies can run. In the trailer, gigantic hordes of people are scrambling for dear life. They're not just pushing and shoving each other out of the way, rather climbing on top of each other and manically hanging onto a hovering helicopter. In one of the trailer's final shots, there's a mountain of people trying to climb over a wall that must be hundreds of wriggling bodies high. The material is dark and downright horrifying, not only showing what could happen should the undead invade on a physical level, but also reflecting the societal meltdown that would ensue, and the pure chaos we'd be left with. WORLD WAR Z was certainly the crown jewel of the presentation and, based on the footage, looks to be well worth the wait."

Super Moderator

United States
    Some people have seen the first trailer for WWZ and it's suprisingly positive. Terrifying, they say.
    Well, that's encouraging. Thanks for posting this, Bassman. At this point, a decent zombie film would be a triumph and a good one...well, I'll not go getting my hopes up.

I can already see what some folks will pull out of this as a negative:

Beyond an unusual pair of eyes, we don't get a good look at World War Z's zombies
    the measures the uninfected take to reach safety might further confirm what last year's set footage revealed - that these zombies can run.
    Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin anew! Let the MBAs be flamed in effigy and Hollywood be pummeled from pillar to post.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Btw, I work with a guy who worked on this. He showed me a pic of one of the sets they'd shot in Hungary and it was a massive, torn and brutalized landscape with derelict tanks, rotting corpses and rubble. Everything with a thin, thin layer of snow strewn over it. It looked epic and sad in a very good way.

Although he did say that he didn't think the film would be very good...