Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

Ireland
    Yeh, but my point is that Speilberg gets a lot of umph for the tension etc in 'Jaws', but if he had had his way, it would have been just another monster movie, with a rubber shark. Bruce forced his hand and kept forcing it. If Speilberg had made the film he actually set out to make, he would have ended up back directing the "movie of the week" on TV and his career would have had a very different direction.

Speilberg mave have ended up hating that shark, but he really does owe him an awful lot.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Having just watched the "unrated" version of this, I have to admit it doesn't really hold up on 2nd viewing. Blood is now present (including the stump Neil ) and there are extended shots (not even scenes) but nothing to justify a purchase if you've seen the theatrical version. It looks like they aren't interested in including any of the production problems as a selling point. I found it a drag to get through it this time and it has huge pacing problems that just don't keep your attention throughout.

Give it a miss if you haven't decided to already.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 02-Sep-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: sp
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Great Britain
    Just watched the Unrated version didn't mind it tbh, My son and partner really liked it so I'm guessing its aimed way more for the general public more than us Zombie fans.

Did seem like it should have been called World War 28 days later as it had more in common with that film (BTW I'm in no way saying it's anywhere as good as 28 days later) than the book, The zeds in it seem way more like the virus carriers in 28 Days.

I will give it a watchable 6/10 in my opinion, that said really had nothing to to with the book apart for the title.

Roll on The Dead 2 for my next true zombie fix.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 04-Sep-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

United States
    Interesting to hear all this new feedback concerning the unrated version.

So you guys saw this on-demand, I assume? Looks like the blu-ray is still pre-order and I'm wondering if there'll be no missing clips as extra material on the blu-ray release.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Interesting to hear all this new feedback concerning the unrated version.

So you guys saw this on-demand, I assume? Looks like the blu-ray is still pre-order and I'm wondering if there'll be no missing clips as extra material on the blu-ray release.
    Oh Aces. Such naivety. Mr Torrent of cause.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Oh Aces. Such naivety. Mr Torrent of cause.
    I skipped it in the theater based on this thread. But watched the unrated a day or 2 ago. I actually liked it alot. I never read the book though.
    Towards the middle I got so into it I wasn't paying attention to how far along it was. Then when the lab scenes were over, I looked down at the progress bar and noticed the whole movie was about over. That was a big let down. I expected there to be more.
    But overall, as a zombie fan I thought the movie was very good. But I go into a movie with no expectations, and I don't have a list of criteria that a zombie film has to meet in order for me to like it. I just watch it.
    WWZ had alot of the things that I like to see in zombie films. Like massive destruction and chaos across the world, apocalyptic scenarios. So many zombie films are short on that. Gore is an added bonus, but I don't really require it.

Like "The Dead", I watched that because people here said it was great. I don't want to say it sucked, cause it wasn't terrible like others I've seen, but overall it was pretty boring.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Having just watched the unrated version - a marked improvement on what was the theatrical release - I have noticed that the scene on board the command ship where the Naval Officer gives the sitrep [We've lost the East Coast, China is Dark (or Moscow is still dark)... Life as we know it will come to an end in 90 days. It’s on us to change that] has vanished from the final cut. Subs for a more direct meeting with Gerry Lane. This dialogue was well used in the trailer, but I wonder why it was deemed unworthy for entry in the movie?
    I also noticed that the transport plane changes type in the movie, From a Russian made transport with US markings, to a proper Hercules transporter. That just seems deliberate to me because they look completely different, particularly the tail section. A puzzle that I wouldn't mind an answer to.
    I also found the following notes from the certification notes on IMDB; Aerial scenes show three cities suffering explosions scattered around town with large clouds of dust, smoke and fires and a mushroom cloud appears through the clouds and engulfs an airliner.
    Did I miss something? I can't see a airliner being engulfed by the mushroom cloud. It would have been cool to see, but perhaps was edited out to make way for the plane outbreak. Maybe 2 plane crashes in a movie are too much for the viewer.
    Needless to say I hope the eventual blu-ray release, (and the DVD) have these deleted scenes. I even saw a script excerpt that has Gerry ask the Mosad guy how can he get in to CHINA!
    That one scene has 3 places mentioned, Russia is a black hole; India is a black hole and China is a blackhole... Was the change to India politically motivated?

I saw this movie in the cinema, and although I was entertained I still felt indifferent about it. I must say that since I have watched the unrated version a few times over the weekend, I am somewhat developing a love for the film akin to how I felt about the remake of Dawn. Yes the movie has its faults, but so does every zombie movie. As a traditional slow moving zombie fan and long term member of this forum, I would urge those who have not seen it to give the unrated version a go. It is by no means an opus, but it is entertaining in many parts.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Having just watched the unrated version - a marked improvement on what was the theatrical release - I have noticed that the scene on board the command ship where the Naval Officer gives the sitrep [We've lost the East Coast, China is Dark (or Moscow is still dark)... Life as we know it will come to an end in 90 days. It’s on us to change that] has vanished from the final cut. Subs for a more direct meeting with Gerry Lane. This dialogue was well used in the trailer, but I wonder why it was deemed unworthy for entry in the movie?
    I also noticed that the transport plane changes type in the movie, From a Russian made transport with US markings, to a proper Hercules transporter. That just seems deliberate to me because they look completely different, particularly the tail section. A puzzle that I wouldn't mind an answer to.
    I also found the following notes from the certification notes on IMDB; Aerial scenes show three cities suffering explosions scattered around town with large clouds of dust, smoke and fires and a mushroom cloud appears through the clouds and engulfs an airliner.
    Did I miss something? I can't see a airliner being engulfed by the mushroom cloud. It would have been cool to see, but perhaps was edited out to make way for the plane outbreak. Maybe 2 plane crashes in a movie are too much for the viewer.
    Needless to say I hope the eventual blu-ray release, (and the DVD) have these deleted scenes. I even saw a script excerpt that has Gerry ask the Mosad guy how can he get in to CHINA!
    That one scene has 3 places mentioned, Russia is a black hole; India is a black hole and China is a blackhole... Was the change to India politically motivated?

I saw this movie in the cinema, and although I was entertained I still felt indifferent about it. I must say that since I have watched the unrated version a few times over the weekend, I am somewhat developing a love for the film akin to how I felt about the remake of Dawn. Yes the movie has its faults, but so does every zombie movie. As a traditional slow moving zombie fan and long term member of this forum, I would urge those who have not seen it to give the unrated version a go. It is by no means an opus, but it is entertaining in many parts.
    I gave the 3D version a run through last night (theatrical cut only) and the 3D was excellent. Still struggled to get through to the end unfortunately. Just doesn't hold up for me

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Saw it the other day, while I think the quality is neither here nor there two things really stood out.

It was very strange watching a zombie film with absolutely no blood, I wonder if but for a few edits they could have gotten a flat out PG rating.

The zombies, were all types of wrong. Running I can stand, I never had a problem with that type, it's just the fact that these zombies aren't flesh eaters, like at all. These zombies are purely human sized viruses, they might as well have punched people or coughed on them for that matter, what would have been the difference? They nibble someones bum and then quickly run off to the next victim, it was a live action version of that Smurfs "zombie" episode, and even that was scarier then this movie, heh.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236 View Post
    They nibble someones bum and then quickly run off to the next victim
    Sounds like me.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, totally agree on the 'not really zombies' part. Plus the fact that they're not really dead makes the whole 'this is the end of all things' world scenario impossible. How long does it take for the average human to die from lack of food and water? Most estimates range from one to three weeks, depending on physical condition and exposure. Point being that within a 3 week period, most of these 'zombies' would either be dead or so malnurished that they wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

And they certainly wouldn't be able to survive a fifty foot drop over a wall, only to get back up and charge mindlessly at helpless victims.

Damn glad I caught this pos movie on red box for a $1.20.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    Yeah, totally agree on the 'not really zombies' part. Plus the fact that they're not really dead makes the whole 'this is the end of all things' world scenario impossible. How long does it take for the average human to die from lack of food and water? Most estimates range from one to three weeks, depending on physical condition and exposure. Point being that within a 3 week period, most of these 'zombies' would either be dead or so malnurished that they wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

And they certainly wouldn't be able to survive a fifty foot drop over a wall, only to get back up and charge mindlessly at helpless victims.

The W.H.O. scientists confirm that the creatures are dead when they explain to Gerry that the zombies don't have a working circulatory system because they are dead.
    Why do a lot of people refuse to accept these things are zombies. The word 'zombie' is banded around in every scene almost. The script tells us that the creatures are zombies and the undead. If they tell us they are zombies then why aren't some folk accepting they are zombies?

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post

Jesus man...you paid 1.20 for this crap!!!

United States
    The movie was "ok"....

I do agree with those who don't buy into the creatures on the movie being "zombies". Yes....they did "attempt" to explain why they were the undead but wasn't really believable for me since...

It only took 12 seconds from bite to reanimation. After all, It takes 5 or so mins without oxygen to completely kill the brain. The worst injury most of the victims would have suffered would have been a torn out throat? I understand that you can die from an injury rather quickly....I just think the reanimation process shouldn't be INSTANTLY.
    Also, On the grounds of NO ONE seemed to know anything besides rumors and wild speculation.

More spoilers....

Grenade in the plane seemed really too unrealistic for me....In reality, I think the decompression would have burst Gerry and Segen's ear drums(made them lose their balance/hearing)...ripped the whole ass end of the plane off......which would have rendered the plane totally uncontrollable....thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 24-Sep-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: ..........

Ireland
    It's just a stupid film over all. There are too many idiotic things going on for it to be enjoyable. I'm surprised at any positive reviews regarding it.

I agree with the plane thing. I think I said something familiar a few pages back.

Almost certainly the tail end of the aircraft would have been torn off, by the sheer forces involved. But even if it wasn't totally separated, the plane would have been completely uncontrolable anyway. Nobody would have survived the crash, even if they were heroes. A stupid, stupid plot device.