Thread: "Source Code" (film)

Administrator

England

"Source Code" (film)

Saw this last night...

Generally an enjoyable ride, but it felt somewhat clunky and very contrived. The pseudoscience came across very poorly too IMHO!

I'd almost say it felt like a dolled up episode of the "Outer Limits" TV series!

So a good/enjoyable watch, but not as clever as it thinks it is
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I just can't get interested in the film, but maybe I'll come across it on netflix etc. down the line and give it a shot.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I knew it wasn't clever. I really don't know about this one. Might rent, might not.

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw it at the cinema on Sunday:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/04...e-musings.html
    Source Code:
    Duncan Jones didn't half make an impressive splash when he touched down with his wonderfully intriguing and charmingly produced 70s-vibe, existential sci-fi debut Moon, so it's great to see he hasn't suffered difficult second album syndrome with sci-fi actioner Source Code.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays military pilot Colter Stevens who mysteriously finds himself within the titular code, committed to repeat the last 8 minutes of life afforded to a passenger on a train that was just blown up by a terrorist madman who plans to go all-out in the centre of Chicago, which is hurriedly being evacuated. The source code is all to do with residual memory ... or something like that ... the sci-fi element is a touch woolly, but being that the film moves with a swift pace and talented direction, the plot holes and "but what about?" questions don't particularly get in the way.

While some recent movies that repeat a period of time for dramatic effect got a bit grating (Vantage Point), Source Code fortunately keeps things fresh throughout with new ideas to explore. It's an interesting flick that could have easily, in the wrong hands, become a silly paranoid sci-fi direct-to-DVD venture ... but in the hands of Jones, with committed performances from the key players on screen, it's an enjoyable ride with some nifty ideas to keep things fresh and moving along - even if you're left with a few plot holes come the end.

United States
    I really, really dug Moon, so I may give this a try.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Seems we falt pretty much the same about it...

I wish it had ended when the scene froze... Seemed to 'nicey nicey Hollywood', when we had all the additional stuff afterwards bringing us to a happy ending...

If it had ended there, when the scene froze as the life support was turned off, the meaning would have at least been he went out happy, content and as he wanted too... Which is the most any of us can really hope for of course...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I know what you mean.

While the stuff after the freeze frame did make me feel warm & fuzzy, it would have perhaps been more suitable to stop that bit at the freeze frame - indeed, end the film there, and leave it up to the viewer's imagination.

Did they explain in the film how Gyllenhaal was able to walk around and do different things in those 8 minutes, than what the actual guy probably did during those 8 minutes? I can't remember if they addressed that, the explanation of "the Source Code" (in appropriately spooky voice ) kinda whizzed by a tad quick in amongst it all.