Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeder

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY
    The deep voice on the vampire can be missed. Unless he looks physically changed then there is no need for it. But if you really need it, try something else...it doesn't sound right. Half the time I couldn't understand it.

Your the vampire, right? Not bad. The other guy can do with some lessons.

Cool though.
    Well I am glad you got a kick out it, as for the acting, what do you expect, all i got are my friends to use, all of them have about zero interest in acting. Justin is a writer, and stephanie is in college for psychology, and I really don't like acting either.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by livingdeadboy
    Well I am glad you got a kick out it, as for the acting, what do you expect, all i got are my friends to use, all of them have about zero interest in acting. Justin is a writer, and stephanie is in college for psychology, and I really don't like acting either.
    Well, for your next one you should start auditions!

I was kidding about the acting lessons, the guy did pretty well in the middle but looked a bit silly at the end.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY
    Well, for your next one you should start auditions!

I was kidding about the acting lessons, the guy did pretty well in the middle but looked a bit silly at the end.
    Ah well, I suppose in the end it is my fault, I am the director, I should probably be pushing the actors a little harder.

Super Moderator

UK
    I know what you mean, the sort of folk (my friends I mean) that I work with on short films have either no acting history or at most did Drama in high school. However, my mate Ben (who was in the short I filmed the main elements for this week) did Drama (I think anyway) but certainly did community theatre. So he's done quite well, I find he's a third to fifth take hitter after he's warmed up to the dialogue.

It's all quite good considering there isn't really much (or sometimes any!) rehearsal time, just some mates clubbing together to be on screen to help me out making a short film, so it's all good.

I don't appear in my short films, I did in "Digital", but that required no acting beyond essentially silent cinema style acting, I had no dialogue. I just set up the camera and hopped in front for the shots, that was my first scripted short which I did back in early summer 2004. Now "VHS" is my fourth scripted short film, but it's far from complete. Once it's done I'll post that bitch up for y'all to see.

Northern Ireland
    Overall, I enjoyed the film, though as the others said, the vampire voice was often hard to understand (no biggy, this has been addressed).

I do have a little irk though, again nothing big, but I also noticed this in Survivors. Some of the words used in your script REALLY didn't fit in, in my opinion. For example (loose paraphrasing here): "How'd this all thing start? A government experiment gone awry." For me, "Awry" stuck out like a sore thumb, it just did not sound natural for the character to say it so... I don't know...elegantly?

Like I said though, it's a very small aspect that annoys me personally.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett
    Overall, I enjoyed the film, though as the others said, the vampire voice was often hard to understand (no biggy, this has been addressed).

I do have a little irk though, again nothing big, but I also noticed this in Survivors. Some of the words used in your script REALLY didn't fit in, in my opinion. For example (loose paraphrasing here): "How'd this all thing start? A government experiment gone awry." For me, "Awry" stuck out like a sore thumb, it just did not sound natural for the character to say it so... I don't know...elegantly?

Like I said though, it's a very small aspect that annoys me personally.
    lol, I really got to fix that damn vampires voice. In regard to the lines, I really do talk like that, I'll often just write how i'd say it, most of the times the actors switch it up a bit, but people like justin like to keep it like the script. Man i should really start posting some better videos online, lol.

Undisclosed
    Hey, I like "awry". Sometimes a word is right, but it can help involving the actors when it comes to the specific layout of the dialog. Theres plenty of things I could write, and then say with complete conviction, which would sound like utter ass coming out of someone elses mug.

As far as the voices go (okay, forgot this, I like the short), you might be able to get away with just filtering some of the bottom end out and kicking the volume a touch. Or maybe just kick the mids about 2.5K or so, thats the range where most "legibility" in vocals is. There are also a few progs/plugins that do pitch shifting but are more oriented to voice - for example to make a female voice sound more "male". That might help. Or my call would be to bring the pitch up a few tones (what did you use, a straight octave down?), not to many, and try the EQing as above.

Whatever, coming along nicely. What are you shooting on these days?

Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by livingdeadboy
    lol, I really got to fix that damn vampires voice. In regard to the lines, I really do talk like that, I'll often just write how i'd say it, most of the times the actors switch it up a bit, but people like justin like to keep it like the script. Man i should really start posting some better videos online, lol.

Ah! I never took it into account, that you actually talk like that. Finding someone here who actually knows what "awry" means would be quite a challenge, which is probably why it stuck out for me.

Anyway, all's well!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hey! I use the word "awry" (now and then), lol, I'm no ordinary chimp in clothes I'll have you know.

Northern Ireland
    Well, check you out!

Undisclosed
    Well, it would be more quote style "it went horribly awry". Often when I was beating a director over the head for not keeping control over their shoot. English can be a real bitch if you don't speak it natively but it's got... stuff you can do with it that's pretty interesting. Go into any 3rd grade English class and you'll find a bunch of kids who are confused, it really don't make no sense. I think thats part of the problem. Too many irregulars.

I spent a while tonight trying to bust out some Portuguese. my spanish is dogged but it was worth a shot, she was, uh, mad hot.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    yeah good job, well above survivors. youve still got a long way to go but at least your getting there. again i injoyed watching it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dethhead
    yeah good job, well above survivors. youve still got a long way to go but at least your getting there. again i injoyed watching it.
    Thanks

United States
    I enjoyed it,..............but.
    find some software to manipulate voice.
    This may have been discussed, but......
    find some software to manipulate voice......the character is fine....the voice manip is so old.......sorry, but it is.
    you can find some kick ass software to play with ALL the sounds/tones/it's and was's!!!!

good luck!

peace

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    I enjoyed it,..............but.
    find some software to manipulate voice.
    This may have been discussed, but......
    find some software to manipulate voice......the character is fine....the voice manip is so old.......sorry, but it is.
    you can find some kick ass software to play with ALL the sounds/tones/it's and was's!!!!

good luck!

peace
    Argh that damn audio, i am currently fixing it, its not the programs fault, its just my sense of hearing. But I am fixing it up and toning down the whole demon voice a bit.