Thread: Chernobyl, 25yrs on...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    It's a fascinating disaster, it really is. I plan on raking out some old Chernobyl documentaries I have on disc somewhere and giving them another spin.

Actually I watched a documentary on the Eden channel t'other week, but it was mostly about the flora and fauna of the Chernobyl area (and, I must admit, it was a bit dry and scientific for my tastes), but that didn't stop it from having some fascinating elements - such as a man who is employed to live there and grow food and then discover in a lab what is edible and not ... and on his own land he grows the stuff you can eat, including cherries (although you must spit out the pits, which remain dangerous to consume). Also, field mice have experience absolutely no effect from the radiation ... interesting.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    funny thing about this is japan really thinks they have a worse disaster on their hands. i've seen hours of chernobyl footage and that stuff is just scary to watch because ALL those people you see are dead now, rescue workers, helicopter crews, etc etc.

theres even radiation that shows up on the film someone shot while filming the power plant

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The tours of the power plant and reactor four start this year(if they havent already)....

England
    This bit of footage still gets me, I wonder if the radiation caused the pilot to crash, or if he just wasnt looking what he was doing? Either way he would have been dead anyway...

Administrator

England
    ^^ Horrible! I think it goes into the crane cables?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Yeah it hits the cables but I'm wondering if the extreme radiation was affecting the pilots judgement or something, seems strange how an experienced pilot would make such an error unless he was sick

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    In Neil's link you can see the car/chopper grave yard. It's amazing how many thousands of dollars there alone are left to rot...

Of course I understand why, but if you consider that amount of vehicles by today's value? pfft....insane...

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There's part of me that would be really interested in visiting Chernobyl and Pripyat, and then there's another part of me that thinks "b'ave, isn't that a bit risky?"

When the guy said that in a day you receive the same amount of radiation as a Stewardess does, he didn't say in how much time - a day, a month, a year, a lifetime, what? I guess it must be safe enough. There's people actually living there, and working there too, constantly.

Administrator

England
    Quite an interesting little article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14250489
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Here is a site from a biker who went to Chernobyl, quite detailed and plenty pictues.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Very eerie.

United States
    Dj and I watched a documentary of Chernobyl quite a while ago, but it was quite interesting. It was about the wild/ferel cats living around the place, how they seem to be immune to the radition and basically just how they survive.

Now, why Dj and I were watching a show about cats in Chernobyl I have no freakin' idea but it was still interesting none the less. The scenery that surrounds that place is frightening and creepy, yet intriguing. I would love to go there and take photographs, but then again, I question my sanity when I say things like that.