Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lone Ranger (film) - Johnny Depp as Tonto

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sold. Looks like a fun way to spend two hours with some action and some laughs.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm sold. Looks like a fun way to spend two hours with some action and some laughs.
    I've warmed to it slightly after the initial shock of what it IS and what it ISN'T.

Administrator

England
    This Japaneses trailer makes things look a bit more interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIjqloLy1hc
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    How do those horses/riders get there without Tonto seeing/hearing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-KwKevPY0
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd quite like to see this flick - it looks like ruddy good fun.

As for sneaking up on them? Yeah, it's a cheat that's often employed in lots of TV and movies - if the viewer can't see it, neither can they, and it lets the joke/reveal/whatever play better for the audience and in the edit.

You could also argue that, for sound at least, after being involved in a big train crash, their hearing would be ringing to say the least.

What I don't like though, is this recent thing for putting out shedloads of disembodied clips from movies. Just put out a couple of trailers and be done with it - but it seems to be a case of "more more more!" - longer trailers giving away the entire movie, tons of clips posted on YouTube for promotion. I have to resist the urge to watch them - I remember a couple of years ago with Hobo With A Shotgun, they put tons of clips online and I watched every one of them because I was so stoked for the movie. When I finally saw it properly, I'd seriously seen so many of the juicy bits already ... I still loved the flick, but it would have been much better to see it pretty fresh with just a single trailer in advance.

Now I resist the urge to see too many trailers/clips - they're too spoilery these days, or just too much info out of context, showing you the boobs instead of the ankle before you've paid, if you will.

Administrator

England
    AICN review... Mainly +ve...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0xndnXNPsw
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'd quite like to see this flick - it looks like ruddy good fun.
    Isn't "Ruddy" a word people in their 60's use?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Isn't "Ruddy" a word people in their 60's use?
    I'm takin' it back for the fairly-young!

I don't know really, I've never thought of it as an 'old person's word'.

Generally positive review? Radical!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm ... Blu-Ray.com gave it a 4/10, and IGN gave it a 6.5/10 ... they both speak of it being "overlong" (150 minutes), and more akin to Pirates 3 than Pirates 1, which is a shame. Common themes in these reviews seem to be that the tone is inconsistent (jolly good fun with Depp & Hammer, but Fichtner's bad guy eats people's hearts), and it's too full of stuff with some side characters proving to be un-needed.

I'll still definitely watch it, but I doubt it'd be in the cinema ... DVD/BR perhaps, but at least Sky Movies.

Undisclosed
    So I guess I'm the first to see this?

Despite my disappointment in MOS and meh response to WWZ, The Lone Ranger was a happy surprise ... a fun couple of hours spent. And outside of the crash n' burn 80's film ( only remembered because it robbed Clayton Moore ( TV's original Lone Ranger ) of the right to wear his mask. ) I suspect not too many here are that familar with the story itself, and this probably helps serve the satire.

But for those of us who do know it, this is still a loving goof on the legend, with some oddly well placed twists to keep you guessing, as well as a scatter shot barrage of hero jokes ( like the reason Tonto kept calling his companion Kemosobe - it's not the old joke, by the way. ) to keep things fresh.

Is this Pirates on the plains? Yes, and No, as those moments share the screen equally with humor derived from other films like Mask of Zorro, Cat Ballou -etc. The Lone Ranger is a funny popcorn film for the summer, and my one small complaint has to do with some serious moments in the movie which almost ruined the comedy for me. Still, it all worked for me, and there was much fun to be had.

Wayne Z.

United States
    I saw it today. Really enjoyed it. A number of faithful touches melded with a modern interpretation of the legend. I do agree that the mix of humor vs serious was oddly juxtaposed at times. I think they overdid the humor a tad, mainly in the "bumbling hero" department. But overall I was highly entertained & glad I saw it.

Undisclosed
    Wait. What? it's actually good fun?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    They're releasing this as a double feature with John Carter on DVD, I heard. It's called the "Please buy us"-edition.

Wasn't that a Disney flick too? Yikes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ouch ... it 'bombed' at the box office ... apparently a bigger bomb than "John Carter of No Fixed Abode" ... crikey.

Of course, if the weather was good over there, and being July 4th, and with Despicable Me 2 becoming a family-friendly juggernaut because of those little minion things, Lone Ranger wasn't going to stand much of a chance really was it?

I'll still very much like to see it at some point, though.

United States
    I heard that too. Weird how a film can bomb & still be #2 at the box office. Guess that means #3 on down REALLY aren't making much money. Theater I was in was fairly packed. Must have been EVERYONE who saw it, I guess. Despicable Me 2 is destroying everything in its path it seems. Oh well, only a week to Pacific Rim...