Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Apocalypse: Realistically? Yes or No.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If zombies were to rise, would you really want to be drinking? Even if you've got the most secure fortress available, being intoxicated is probably a bad idea. I love drinking, but drinking in the midst of the end of the world? Not so much..

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If zombies were to rise, would you really want to be drinking? Even if you've got the most secure fortress available, being intoxicated is probably a bad idea. I love drinking, but drinking in the midst of the end of the world? Not so much..
    Can't think of a better time TBH...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Here's my mental picture on this one, Bass:

I'm watching Fox News (because CNN and MSNBC are far too liberal, even during a zombie apocalypse, they'd probably try to put the zombies in a sympathetic light) and Sean Hannity is going on about how zombies are devouring people all around me. The question I ask myself is: "Hmm, do I want to be perfectly coherent and sober if/when I'm devoured by zombies?" -- doesn't take too much for me to come to a conclusion on that one.

On the bright side, if I wake up the next morning and I'm still alive (because like Michael Jackson's attorney says, I'd hate to wake up dead), it would be an excellent opportunity to drink beer in celebration in still being alive.

Really, if you think about it, wouldn't a global apocalypse be the perfect time to get shit-faced drunk without concerns over how your actions the previous night may have been embarrassing, etc. ?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    28 days later are not zombies so can we please stop refferring to them as such

Anyway thats a topic for another thread, on the likelyhood of a zombie apocalypse happen, didnt the center for disease control in america publish something on this a while ago? like exactly what a rage virus or zombie virus would have to do to the brain and body.. It wasnt too far off possible if i remember correctly.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    wouldn't a global apocalypse be the perfect time to get shit-faced drunk
    ...And the last time anyone ever sees you is when you charge headlong into a large group of zombies shouting, "look at me! I'm Frank West!". I wonder just how many people on this website would die under those exact same circumstances?

United States
    No I do not want it ever to happen, wishing death on a large chunk of the population and a collapse of the wold as I know it has zero appeal to me. I am not fond of things as they stand now, but that is no way to institute change and in the end we would be worse off not better.

While it would serve to eradicate the sick, feeble, and worthless that exists as burdens to society children would also be hit hard and not to sound cliche but they are our future.

It is hard to move forward when you are just trying to get back to where you were, and this would retard our development as a species as well as taking from us some of our most precious resources.

Do I think it could happen? Well not like in the movies maybe, but yes I think it is possible.

And hey so do the writers at Cracked.. so it must be true. No I kid but the explanations are sound as presented.
    Link to article: http://www.cracked.com/article_15643...ly-happen.html
    Last edited by Thorn; 11-May-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: tense correction

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    ...And the last time anyone ever sees you is when you charge headlong into a large group of zombies shouting, "look at me! I'm Frank West!". I wonder just how many people on this website would die under those exact same circumstances?
    We'd all probably die while doing this when the zombies turn around and shoot us with laser beams from their eyes, thus proving that Romero didn't know jack.

United States
    2 ways zombies could happen:

(1) Supernatural or deific intervention - A large portion of the world believe that a man died and was resurrected to walk the earth again. Why is it so hard to imagine that an equally miraculous event could manifest itself on behalf of evil in the form of zombies?

(2) Technology - Imagine someone 300 years ago being told that an atom (which was proposed around that time), the smallest conceptual unit of matter, would be split some 200 years later to produce the largest explosion ever created. So how can we conclude that no technology will come into being in the next 300 years that will enable reanimation of dead tissue... and that technology will go berzerk.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    A large portion of the world believe that a man died and was resurrected to walk the earth again.
    Agree with Trin - and since in Revelations it says that when Christ comes during the end times that the dead will rise from their graves to live again, perhaps they are not zombies, but instead are Holy Christian Soldiers marching as to war.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Canada

Thumbs up

That's what I'm saying. ^^^^

Who says if the dead DO return to "life" that they will become cannibalistic mass murderers?

Maybe it'll just be like the beginning of the book "Autumn" where they come back to life and just shuffle mindlessly around, bumping into things for their whole existence?

Regardless whether they came back as flesh eaters or not they would just shrivel up like dried raisins, due to dehydration in no time anyway if they didn't take in enough water to keep hydrated.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetbeggar View Post

Who says if the dead DO return to "life" that they will become cannibalistic mass murderers?

Maybe it'll just be like the beginning of the book "Autumn" where they come back to life and just shuffle mindlessly around, bumping into things for their whole existence?

Regardless whether they came back as flesh eaters or not they would just shrivel up like dried raisins, due to dehydration in no time anyway if they didn't take in enough water to keep hydrated.
    I think the closest thing to a zombie apocalypse we may ever see will be a situation like in the movie "The Road" where the living are eating the living in order to survive. We're all civilized when everthing is okay and there's food in the local store. If society breaks down for whatever reason and there's little or no food left, other people will start to look yummy to other people. Now THAT'S creepy!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 13-Aug-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: sp

United States
    Yeah, I'm still going with the anything can/could happen belief. At one time the earth was flat, and eclipses were thought of as the moon being eaten, and some all knowing/all powerful being was/is in control of it all.
    Heck, we're still a type ZERO civilization. I'd bet it would be some alien organism that controls you, like the thangies that hang out in the slug/snail trail waiting to be eaten by ants so they can hang off a leaf waiting to be eaten by cows. Once again, nothing supernatural, as nothing supernatural has ever been proved.
    So yeah, the elements could hamper the dead; like cold, like the tightening of tendons, like eventual decompositional deterioration, however slowed. Like Queen said: Who wants to live forever?!?!?
    I've often wondered what would happen if I treaded deep enough water while the dead were trying to get at me. They would surely still try to get at me, the same as they would through fire(without fear of any type of pain, whether it be drowning or burning), then they would sink like a rock and I could swim to freedom...
    Unless there were so many of them they just displaced enough water, if in a pool, to eventually get me.
    Look, I'm just spitballing here, but once you get past the fact that the accepted reality is no longer applicable, then it is open season on them. I'd be inclined to believe that the very recently dead would have more mobility, but that they'd still be slow enough to outrun...
    As long as you weren't a lazy bastard who smoked like a chimney.
    Who knows? There are organisms that can survive under extreme conditions. Some believe that the goo that made us what we are today came here from comets or meteors from other places.
    I've always thought we should leave/send some of our spooge to other planets or solar systems/galaxies. Maybe somebody has already done this and we are the product of that. I personally don't believe we have any idea of what the fudge. It all comes back to the fact that we have no effing clue as to what makes it all tick, no matter how advanced we THINK we are.
    Who knows?
    This world is beginning to be a severely fucked up place. Maybe it's time to shake things up a bit. I sometimes have zombie dreams, but in them I'm always trying to save my only kid from undeath. Do I want it to happen?
    No.
    But if it did my kid would be my first priority. Sorry for the profanity, but yeah I'd fucking freak out first. I can only hope I'd not lose it completely and come back with a vengeance. I also think that northwest AR would be an ideal place to be. Not as good as Montana, but still...
    Stay out of heavily populated areas, keep a 24/7 type of guard up, and dismember whatever baddies you can, and you might just repopulate and live to a ripe old age. Life/nature throws us for a loop when we least expect it. Look at the ice age, look at the black plague...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetbeggar View Post

Or they simply don't die, like on Torchwood; Miracle Day.

Wayne Z

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    The zombies wouldn't be the worst danger (at least in the beginning) -- it would be other people you would have to worry about. In the ensuing chaos that would come to be there would be riots, killings, and the worst possible chaos imaginable on a global scale.

More people would probably die from distribution and service lines breaking down (lack of food, medicines, electricity for heat/cooling, etc.) as opposed to the zombies -- at least at first. And then add to this the general insanity that would ensue from the 'masses of living idiots' who would be more damaging than the zombies. j.p.
    Agree with JD. It does not take much for society to fall apart, and when it does you are frequently in more danger from other survivors than from whatever calamity that caused the collapse. In Los Angeles, an overcrowded urban area, folks go crazy and riot when the Lakers win or lose. In the UK it took the police several days to organize against groups of young miscreants who managed to cause all kinds of mayhem in the interim. As much of a fan of post apocalyptic survival scenarios I might be, it would truly suck if everything fell apart.

As far as ghouls being unable to organize, Land of the Dead pretty much changed the rules there. Even in their most mindless, unorganized pre-LOTD state, they have the advantage of numbers, of being impervious to pain or fatigue, and really need no more an advantage than traveling and attacking in a large group to overwhelm most survivors who would not only be fighting the hordes of the dead but would also be competing with other survivors for resources and safe haven.

-- -------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    If society breaks down for whatever reason and there's little or no food left, other people will start to look yummy to other people. Now THAT'S creepy!
    Creepy thing is that there is historical precedent for this sort of response to a crisis-related food shortage.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    As long as you grow a good supply of red and green herbs, and keep a typewriter handy, you'll be all set.