Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Apocalypse: Realistically? Yes or No.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    As long as you grow a good supply of red and green herbs, and keep a typewriter handy, you'll be all set.
    Soylent Green IS people! AAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

I get where rongravy's coming from; zombie apocalypse cannot happen in any rational or scientific way that we know at present. It's what we DON'T know that would be the likely catalyst for a possible zombie apocalypse. Not worried here though. I'm pretty well stocked up on weapons, ammo, water and of course, pop tarts (pop tarts never go bad... ever).

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    zombie apocalypse cannot happen in any rational or scientific way that we know at present...

...(pop tarts never go bad... ever).
    I think you have your answer!

The cannibalism thing is an interesting subject, I'm surprised Romero hasn't touched on it already – it fits in rather nicely with his 'we're them and they're us' theme. Human survivors desperation leading to the total collapse of civility and humanity to the point of where there is nothing left that really separates humans from zombies. I think that would also play nicely against the zombies vague memories of who they were and their fumbling attempts to do 'what they used to do', there's some real weighty issues to explore in there, very grim and extremely dark. If you like that sort of thing.

United States
    I guess that was the creepiest part of "The Road" when they were looking for shelter and went into that house. The basement was filled with half-starved "future meals" for that dirty, blood stained cannibal family. Nasty! Aside from that house scene(s), I didn't care much for the rest of the flick.

Can you imagine hordes of LIVING people trying to break into your boarded up house intent on making you their next meal? Whoa man, now that's a movie idea Romero should consider doing. He can call it, "Night of the Living Living."

Twitching

United States
    Well,
    The likeliest possible anything-apocalypse resembling zombies would IMO prolly be something like around the time that nanotech for medical purposes/life span extension etc. become cheap enough to mainstream, but not around long enough yet to be bulletproof-reliable.

Say you've got your nanites that are programmed with a template they're supposed to maintain you at. Ie: Their "blueprint of you" and their maintenance road map. After the initial burst of activity, most nanite activity would be self-replication to replace worn out nanobots and general maintenance-functions. Ie: Cleaning out the cholesterol you've recently introduced, cleansing toxins etc...

So, one guy/gal, SOMEWHERE ends up in some utterly improbable scenario (such as being exposed to lethal amounts of radiation when the nuclear power plant near your neighborhood gets wrecked by an earthquake ala Japan)...

A replication error occurs in a significant minority % of the nanites, while the majority have been flat out destroyed or too damaged to do much. At that point we're talking Xeroxes of Xeroxes to the Nth degree.

Under those circumstances, it's difficult to imagine what COULDN'T HAPPEN to such an individuals physiology....and god help us all if some nitwit ever decides we should all have wifi nanites for patch updates and such. There's your root for a "zombie" apocalypse right there.

Current technology? Just can't see it. Potential future tech? If nanites could Gray Goo us into extinction, what exactly is impossible?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksider18 View Post
    Me? i actually want a zombie apocalypse to happen plainly because it would be THE ultimate test on Human Survival
    You don't think:-
    - Climate change
    - Polution (of the ocean)
    - Population growth
    - Peak oil
    - Peak resources in general

...is enough to test us over the next few decades?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You don't think:-
    - Climate change
    - Polution (of the ocean)
    - Population growth
    - Peak oil
    - Peak resources in general

...is enough to test us over the next few decades?
    Hmm, not really. In a few decades I'll already be a zombie.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Undisclosed
    Steve Quayle did an entire 3 hour show a couple weeks ago presenting evidence and his sincere belief that there will be a real zombie apocalypse. It was heavily in the religious angle but also mentioned the likelihood of a type of engineered pathogen that would have effects similar to "The Crazies".

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Steve Quayle did an entire 3 hour show a couple weeks ago presenting evidence and his sincere belief that there will be a real zombie apocalypse. It was heavily in the religious angle but also mentioned the likelihood of a type of engineered pathogen that would have effects similar to "The Crazies".
    I think the only thing we need to be scared about in this area is a virile avian flu strain!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think the only thing we need to be scared about in this area is a virile avian flu strain!
    Living here in the land of "New Joisey", with the whacko terrorists always seemingly focused on NYC, it's likely that some sort of pathogen will blow my way from the north someday. I don't recall the name of a movie I watched recently, but it involved a biological attack on the U.S. west coast. Dude locked himself in his house, duct taped his windows (also covering them in plastic), and wouldn't let anyone in including his girlfriend. Not wanting to spoil the end for those of you who haven't seen the flick, but it turned out really really bad for him.

United States
    Living here in the land of "New Joisey", with the whacko terrorists always seemingly focused on NYC, it's likely that some sort of pathogen will blow my way from the north someday. I don't recall the name of a movie I watched recently, but it involved a biological attack on the U.S. west coast. Dude locked himself in his house, duct taped his windows (also covering them in plastic), and wouldn't let anyone in including his girlfriend. Not wanting to spoil the end for those of you who haven't seen the flick, but it turned out really really bad for him.
    What was the name of the movie? You can't spoil it for me if I dunno the name yet, lol.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    What was the name of the movie? You can't spoil it for me if I dunno the name yet, lol.
    Did a google search just now. The movie is called, "Right at your door". Wasn't his girlfriend that he locked out, it was his wife. Creepy thought to lock your wife outside in order to save yourself from being infected, unless of course you did not dig your wife too much.

United States
    Did a google search just now. The movie is called, "Right at your door". Wasn't his girlfriend that he locked out, it was his wife. Creepy thought to lock your wife outside in order to save yourself from being infected, unless of course you did not dig your wife too much.
    Yeah, I can't imagine something like THAT ever happening...

Wait, that guy left his old lady to get munched in 28 Weeks Later, too...
    Guess it's better to cut those ties that bind during an apocalypse so you don't have to sacrifice yourself for a piece of ass that at some point will do something to get you both killed anyway.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yeah, I can't imagine something like THAT ever happening...

Wait, that guy left his old lady to get munched in 28 Weeks Later, too...
    Guess it's better to cut those ties that bind during an apocalypse so you don't have to sacrifice yourself for a piece of ass that at some point will do something to get you both killed anyway.
    I think those ties that bind also got the young guy cooked at the gas pump in the original NotLD. His gf's jacket "got caught" at a very very bad time. BOOM!

United States
    I think those ties that bind also got the young guy cooked at the gas pump in the original NotLD. His gf's jacket "got caught" at a very very bad time. BOOM!
    I don't know about the rest of my brothers here, but I personally wouldn't be able to abandon my wife to be torn apart by ghouls or blown up in a truck just to save my own ass. Even if I could short circuit my immediate impulse to save my wife and instead haul ass to save my own, I think that I would want to die for leaving her to die. I don't have children, but I would guess that the same sentiment would apply there and those instincts to protect the one you love would be very hard to ignore, even at your own peril.

Sorry, cannot remember how to do the spoiler thing, so if you haven't seen 28 weeks later DO NOT SCROLL DOWN!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!
    (Sorry in advance for the incompetence!)

As for the coward in 28 weeks later who left his wife for the infected - I think that guy is not a man and is worth less than shit as far as I am concerned. But there was an elderly couple who died in the farmhouse too, and the man sacrificed himself for his wife - that dude is my hero!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 05-Sep-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: incompetence
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Naa, I wouldn't let my gf to get all munched up just to save my sorry carcass. The more likely event would be me sacrificing myself to save her. That was one of the freaky parts in the Walking Dead when the mechanic dude (the one who was bitten on the stomach) mentioned that he watched his family get munched as he got away.