Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Language request... Can we tone it down a little please...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Language? On a site dedicated to films with such tasteful dialogue?

i was gonna mention this flick seeing as it has the most swearing of all romero films. and i love it. are there kids on this forum?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Neil - have you received any complaints from newbies or lurkers about language?
    Nope, not at all... Just going on my own prim and proper, and over sensitive instincts...

As I said, this is just a polite reminder/request, nothing more

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Language? On a site dedicated to films with such tasteful dialogue?

And to think, some people dis' Day... I love it!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    are there kids on this forum?
    Not to do with kids... Personally for example, I find too much unecessary swearing grating... Just comes across as tacky sometimes TBH. And especially so when spoken!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All joking aside, I'll try to cut back. It's kinda funny you bring this up because the little lady and I were just having a discussion about this the other night. Been slipping up and cursing in front of the kid, so we're trying harder to cut back on it.

I'm not even a big fan of it, but it finds a way to get into your everyday routine. Being around friends or employees that curse like sailors kinda makes you pick it up even if you don't mean to.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-May-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: .

Being Attacked

Canada
    I keep on thinking the guy in the youtube link is Kevin James everytime I see it.

Anyways I'm new here, and I don't find anyone to be rude, although I wish you would respond to my request of my thread in the fiction discussion to be deleted! :P

ahaha at least this forum appears to lack the presence of trolls

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNeighbour View Post
    although I wish you would respond to my request of my thread in the fiction discussion to be deleted!
    Oops! Done!

Yeh! Andy put in a pretty good plugin to the forum to catch them all! We had times in the past when we'd have a couple a day on average! Painful!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

Canada
    Thank you!

Another thing I'm curious about, is why I have a random flag in my profile? Why is mine not changing to the Canadian flag?

Sorry if this not the appropiate place to ask this, but I thought this was a good chance, but to keep it in on topic, I used to be on a forum where they had like censors on the f*ck and also it changed the word shit to poop and asshole to bumhole and stuff like that...it was actually ridiculous and hard to take seriously considering it was a site where you have to be 13 or 14 years and above of age to use! Is that the censoring you guys are talking about above? ahahaha

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Others here have pointed out that it's not the language that's being a contributing factor in 'turning off' new members. So, to those who say this (just for my own edification and curiosity): What is the primary problem here in general and with new members?
    Meh. Things are pretty calm right now, so I'm not gonna muck rake & stir anything up by airing dirty laundry in public. If you're really super-insanely curious we can discuss in PM.

I mean, jeez, I did start wearing deodorant again for you people...

j.p.
    Yeah but you changed your avatar & that I can never forgive.

Last edited by MoonSylver; 13-May-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: What did she say when she took on the lead singer, the guitarist, the bass player AND the drummer? BANDWIDTH EXCEEDED!!! AHAH

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WTF? So now I am asked to not curse... oh FFS, we're F***ing adults man. I didn't know we were hoping to pussify HPotD.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    WTF? So now I am asked to not curse... oh FFS, we're F***ing adults man. I didn't know we were hoping to pussify HPotD.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Last edited by MoonSylver; 13-May-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: f f'ing f-ity f f

United States
    Anyone else find it ironic with a great big grin that on a thread in which we're asked not to use cussing so much we've probably cussed more in this thread than most others?

Where the frack is Los anyway? I haven't seen that delinquent in months...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dod gamn fother mucking bon of a sitch!

England
    Yippee ki yay muddy funksters!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Betcha Neil is regretting bringing it up now eh?

Yeah Biz-nitchy... this is how we effin roll, muther-effer.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Anyone else find it ironic with a great big grin that on a thread in which we're asked not to use cussing so much we've probably cussed more in this thread than most others?
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Betcha Neil is regretting bringing it up now eh?

Yeah Biz-nitchy... this is how we effin roll, muther-effer.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    lol, I'm one of the most profane people in this world.

And I have no control over it...!

I'm screwed! (or is that f**ked?)

So many times I'm giving a speech to a group of people or doing a presentation and I'll accidentally drop an F bomb in there, I'm not joking. I was doing one yesterday - I can remember using the word "shit".

oops.

Can we talk about context please? Moonsylver's jpeg about two posts above this one perfectly sums it up. Swearing can be positive, when used in the correct context:

"this coffee is fucking great"

The exclaimation of "fuck" adds that gravitas to it, that extra level of communication which tells the reader than this coffee wasn't just good, it was really, really good. Beyond the words "really".

However you can't use the C word in a positive context:

"her c**t was tasty" - it doesn't work....it's vulgar, it's nasty....this is the issue Ofcom have with the C word - it can't be used positively.

Even shit can be used positively:

"this coffee was so good I nearly shit myself!"

I think context is the key in this discussion - If I say someone's argument is "fucking stupid" - it's a bit unfair. If I say their argument needs work, it is obviously fairer. If someone tells me they've just bought a great coffee, I might say "you lucky fucking bastard" - and that's totally different.

*may have just earnt myself a ban with this post* lol
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.