View Poll Results: The Moment of Truth: The Blair Witch Project

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • One of the best horror films I've ever seen!

9 26.47%
  • It's very good, but not quite great.

13 38.24%
  • Yuck. I didn't hate it but didn't like it.

6 17.65%
  • One of the worst horror films I've ever seen!

6 17.65%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Moment of Truth: The Blair Witch Project

Dying

United States
    I went with the "didn't like it, didn't hate it" option. It just wasn't that scary to me the first time around, and it's not one of those movies that hold up well over repeated viewings. I've found that I don't really like shaky cam movies, however, so I'm sure that influenced me. Hey, scared college kids in the woods! Tripods exist, you know!

United States
    I selected good...being apart of the whole 'experience' in a theatre added to my opinion. I wasn't scared while watching it but for some damn reason after I was home, alone, and ready to sleep, the ending really got to me and I was freaking out for several sleepless nights.

United States
    Great the first time you see it in the theater. Terrible watching it at home on the small screen.

England
    It was okay, the biggest thing that let it down was the fact that I simply didn't like ANY of the characters, so I couldn't muster much horror, sadness or the like as they got bumped off.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    So i rewatched this today with a very different eye. Since getting my film degree which entailed lots of actual filmmaking practical work- and of course my own work as a job since then- i'm noticing way more faults in this film. For one thing you see things like an open field, a main road and even a poorly maintained carpark through the trees as they whent on which really gives you a feeling that they found a small patch of trees by a canal and just filmed walking it up and down in different directions which sort of cheapens the whole "the actors spent 8 days in isolation with little food" mystique given to the films production process.

That and there are little bits of unprofessional hiccups throughout. I don't wanna list a bunch because honestly they wreck some scenes but the i'll point one out as an example. When mike runs through the house at the end he rounds a corner and stops by a window to talk to heather as some dude is pointing in the window with a laser pointer. some websites say it was a douchebag kid who snuck on set during the night filming, some say it was the director showing where they wanted mike to run to. Either way this just smacks of unprofessional filmmaking. The house is the only true 'set' in the film with a definable perimeter and blind spots and should be easily controlled by the crew of a film no matter how early or low budget in a film makers career. You keep a watch around the outside so nobody can reach it without you knowing, let alone get in shots and if its to guide an actor- its a damn house, a house with writing on the walls, theres so many ways to do a preemptive walk about to show them the route to travel. i mean marble hornets did this but a movie that cost 35k cant?

That said i still enjoy it, but its never quite sure what to make of itself. At some points it is very clearly locals messing with them, as foreshadowed with 'goddamn kids never learn' from the fishing locals near the start, but then at others they hear babies screaming, little girls laughing and a huge group smacking the tent at once when there is nobody there. i dont think its for the sake of ambiguity either, i just think the directors did not know quite what to make of it.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Oh no... Now I can't enjoy this movie anymore...
    Still way better than Paranormal Activity, though (even just going by the titles).
    Oh well, I still have The Ring, and The Matrix, so that's all good...
    "And then Murdoc was like, 'Wot're you on about, ponies?' An' I was all, 'NO!! Whale!!' ...'E 'asn't talked t' me for three days since then..." - 2D