View Poll Results: The Moment of Truth: The Blair Witch Project

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • One of the best horror films I've ever seen!

9 26.47%
  • It's very good, but not quite great.

13 38.24%
  • Yuck. I didn't hate it but didn't like it.

6 17.65%
  • One of the worst horror films I've ever seen!

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Moment of Truth: The Blair Witch Project

United States

The Moment of Truth: The Blair Witch Project

** Your poll selection will be public for everyone **

Okay, fairly self-explanatory. I've heard both pro and con to this issue, so let's put it up for a poll. How do you rate "The Blair Witch Project" as a film?

Personally, I find it to be one of the ten best horror films I've ever seen (and I've seen *alot* of horror films). I don't know that I'd put it in my top 5 list (where "Day" and "Christine" are) but it's definitely top 10 worthy. I think it's an exceptionally done work of psychological horror (my favorite) focusing on a character-driven story (as opposed to stupid Hollywood F/X and/or CGI driven drivel). What it did it did exceptionally well.

It seems there tend to be two classes of people who come to "BWP" -- those who absolutely love it or those who absolutely hate it. I'm former of course, but the reason I love it so much is the primary reason those who hate it tend to hate it. The end keeps you guessing -- there's no clear cut "Oh, it was a bunch of rendecks" or "Oh, it was the witch!" moment. There's no 'big reveal' and I applaud the film for this reason -- I think revealing too much would have destroyed the film for more than one watch. Instead, we are left with our own opinions and perspectives on what it all means -- very David Lynch like. And I especially commend the film on not doing any stupid CGI-looking 'Blair Witch' floating above people or something -- this would have completely destroyed the film.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and ask:

So, what are your thoughts and please explain your thoughts in detail.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 12-May-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: yes
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    I think it was a great bit of film making! Just let down by the ending IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Really? The whole ending bit

in the abandoned house, particularly him standing in the corner (which gave me shivers)
    was the best part of the whole movie. Hmmm...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good but not quite great. If anything, you've got to give them points for making something so well received and entertaining off of a shoe string budget.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-May-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Good but not quite great. If anything, you've got to give them points for making something so well received and entertaining off of a shoe string budget.
    Is it still the most profitable indendent horror film ever? Like half a million % profit or something?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

Canada
    I was disappointed by the ending, but also thought it was great ahaha. I was disappointed because finally something for sure was actually happening and they ended it, but it was also great because it left you thinking and wondering and that aspect was pretty much the strategy of the entire film.

I liked it but I didn't love it (its something if I saw on TV I'd definitely watch it, but I wouldnt buy it), but it was well done and it also seems to me to be a pretty influential film.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I was more impressed by the whole PT Barnum/Orson Welles Showman approach, including the Two BWP Sci Fi channel specials ( which rocked. ) the slightly less Showtime special 'White Enamel. ' about Kyle Brody, the lone survivor of the Rustin Parr killings in 41, one really good book; The BWP: A Dossier,which followed a private investigation into the missing students.

I was probably one of a couple film fans who actually appreciated Book of Shadows for turning the original movie on its head. It was concerned more with the folks who treated Blair Witch as a true story, but then itself treated some of the events as real, and finally challenged the idea that video was worth anything.

My only disappointment is that the film makers never did the next film. which was to be about Elly Kedward and how she got to be the Blair Witch.

Wayne Z

Randy Donahue; Well my heart was pounding in my chest, I don't know whether I should scream or laugh, because by God she is ugly, she's got hair all over her arms like a lumberjack or something, and she's just staring at me. And then she said "Donahue.

Buck Buchanan: And?

RD: What do you mean "and"? That was enough for me. I turned around and ran like Holy Hell.
    How'd she know my name? I'd never seen her before.

BB: Well, to me -

RD: I know. It sounds like I came across some crazy old lady in the forest. But I tell you, I've heard other people talk about her too - people alot older than me, alot younger. And she always looks the same.
    It was the Blair Witch, Buck.

Excerpt from BWP; A Dossier, an interview between Buchanan (Investigator hired by Heathers family ) and Randy Donahue, her grandfather, describing a meeting with Elly when he was a young boy.

You don't generally get this level of detail in alot of Horror series.
    Last edited by wayzim; 13-May-2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good but not quite great. Gotta give it props on the miniscule budget, alone. I thought the concept was awesome: "Lets just give these three kids some cameras and an outline of a story, send them into the woods, then bother them in the middle of the night."

United States
    With the deception of the "footage" being real, I'd say it was a damn good thriller along with everyone else who was duped into thinking it was real and then pissed off after the fact. I was only 13 when it first came out. So I'm sure I didn't grasp all the details of it's release but I remember how bummed out I was to find out that it was a big bag of lies. Knowing the footage is phoney. I gotta say yuck. They should have kept that shit to themselves for at least 20 years.

I too thought the end was the creepest part with dude standing with his nose in the corner and then the camera dropping to the floor.

As for Book of Shadows...I use to have a huge interest for gothic women. Not really sure if I still do. The wife doesn't have a gothic bone in her body though. I'd probably die from laughter if she wore gothic appeal. She might scare the kids. LOL

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 13-May-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: ....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Best horror movie about a witch ever. You gotta give it that. I mean, come on.

It made me feel the same way 'The Ring' did when I saw it for the first time. And that's saying something. I mean, creeped out, man. Like the first time I saw the ending of Day. Or the first time I read 'It'. Or... you get the idea. Gotta say I love it. Hate the hype, love the movie. Not all of it, but most of it. The interview bit is great. And it's parodied too much for some reason. Hate that. Still, one of my... yeah, top ten favorite thrillers. Chillers. Spookshow Baby.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Really? The whole ending bit

in the abandoned house, particularly him standing in the corner (which gave me shivers)
    was the best part of the whole movie. Hmmm...
    I'll have to watch it again! But it all fell a bit flat for me...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Best horror movie about a witch ever. You gotta give it that. I mean, come on.
    Oh... really?

Last edited by EvilNed; 14-May-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: link

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Knowing the footage is phoney. I gotta say yuck. They should have kept that shit to themselves for at least 20 years.
    The movie spawned acting careers for the three stars, which is probably why it wasn't kept a secret.

United States
    BWP, great movie if you're a 12 year old girl. Scariest thing since The Exorcist, what a crock of dookie.
    Maybe the lack of a payoff would've mattered to me if what led up to it would've been interesting. Guess you can figure how I voted on this poll.
    I saw it once, that was enough for me.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Oh!! So THAT's where that clip is from in that Rob Zombie song! 'Beginning of the end', I believe. Yeah, thanks, Ned!!

Ron doesn't get it...