Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would annoy the fanboy brigade most?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

What would annoy the fanboy brigade most?

Suppose one were to go out of one's way to write a story which, while remaining a serious story, would have as one of its main objectives to irritate or anger the typical zombie genre fan to the maximum. How would one go about it?

Here are a few possibilities I'm considering:

1. Make it so deliberately over the top, using the cliches of the genre in such an in-your-face manner, that even the most immature gun-worshipping gore-loving brain-dead fanboy would have no alternative but to realise that he is being mocked.

2. Use farce as a tool. Make it as much of a Monty Pythonesque farce as possible. I have already attempted this, but I want to know if there are better approaches.

3. Play it "straight" but force the fanboy to use his imagination. Fanboys hate that.

Any other suggestions would also be welcome.
    Morons of the World, unite! You have nothing to lose but your brains...

United States
    My personal favorite idea is to create a zombie story with no zombies in it.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Angsty high school zombies who go on at length about the problems of their unlives. They're hip, they're now and they're annoying as hell.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Angsty high school zombies who go on at length about the problems of their unlives. They're hip, they're now and they're annoying as hell.
    That's pretty much what "Ahh Zombies" is, isn't it?

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    Use farce as a tool. Make it as much of a Monty Pythonesque farce as possible.
    Hmmm, how about the dead parrot sketch - with zombies?

"This is an ex-human!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's pretty much what "Ahh Zombies" is, isn't it?
    I don't know, I was too much of annoyed fanboy to watch it

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Make the zombies say "Braaaainnns" over and over again. All of them... All the time.

Make the survivors ignore obvious safe places for stupid unsafe places. Have them choose stupid weapons amidst better choices. Have them save the stupid girl who goes after the dog. Make them steal money when there is nowhere to spend it. Have an OK-Coral style gunfight at the end where no one can hit each other.... oh, crap... I digressed.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Seeing land...

United States
    You should suck a dick oncam. No, seriously. That'd do it...

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I have thought about incorporating some over the top characters before in a story. The characters will generally get eaten as they really would not contribute much to the story other than a bit of humor.

I was wanting to use a twelve year old hit man in one story, but I actually would want to see him evolve into a caring, this is relative mind you, person. Another character I have thought about is a survivalist type picking his kid up on a real bad day. He gets makes a showing, shows off how bad ass he is, and then is eaten.

United States
    Suppose you have the zombies detest the taste of human flesh and instead of eating the survivors, they simply follow them around like lost puppy dogs, waiting for the survs to feed them jerky and dog treats. AND the survivors can be a bunch of tree hugging hippie types who, although terrified and annoyed by the zombie paprazzi, cannot seem to bring themselves to shoot them. Instead, they try to lure them and corrall them into large, fenced in pastures and spend the rest of their survival years trying to teach the zombies to be vegetarians! Oh wait shoot...you said serious zombie stories... my bad
    Now, if you want to have a good time and you need some p@*$y...you can cut that chicken's head off...

Undisclosed
    Just watch the remake/re-visioning of Day of the Dead... That was as bad as most can get. It not only had super Zs, but the vegetarian, and it tarnished the name of a great movie. Or maybe "Dawn of the dead Episode 1 the phantom Z". That could piss me off just a bit more.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by glazedoverdead View Post
    Oh wait shoot...you said serious zombie stories... my bad
    You know, this statement rules out Diary and Survival being part of the discussion. GAR said they were a bit tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by glazedoverdead View Post
    AND the survivors can be a bunch of tree hugging hippie types who, although terrified and annoyed by the zombie paprazzi, cannot seem to bring themselves to shoot them. Instead, they try to lure them and corrall them into large, fenced in pastures and spend the rest of their survival years trying to teach the zombies to be vegetarians!
    This is definitely where a serious zombie storyline could become very irritating. Basically take a group of people and insert some bolsterous nujtobs who want to protect zombie's rights and are willing to sacrifice safety and security for the cause and you have the perfect irritating movie plot. And don't pretend like this bs could never happen.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    My personal favorite idea is to create a zombie story with no zombies in it.
    My story "Testament", doesn't really have any zombies in it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    My story "Testament", doesn't really have any zombies in it...
    I will have to check this out, Neil. And now that I can without hitting my "max number of reads per week", etc. then I'll be happy to do that too. It's been awhile since I've read a good zombie story.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever