Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Aliens: Colonial Marines (video game) - Oh dear!

United States
    The Aliens movie... rap version

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

England
    Thats epic Eyebiter!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Apr-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    The video is only 4:20. Are you trying to suggest something?

England
    I'll probably still end up buying it, but it doesnt really look any different to Aliens vs Predator from a couple of years ago....

Administrator

England
    Why do first person shooters always look worse on consoles than on PCs? The movement is just too flat and unatural!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why do first person shooters always look worse on consoles than on PCs? The movement is just too flat and unatural!
    Looking at the video, some of the issue with movement of characters seems to be down to the animators, but if you mean in terms of shooting the beasties, then it's what you suffer with analogue stick aiming ... however, what you lose with that you gain with lock-on controls (which do help, but can be turned off if you wish usually), but also you gain more control over walking speed with analogue sticks that you don't get with WSAD where it's just on or off ... but analogues you do at least get to creep forward very slowly if you wish, which can be quite a helping hand at times.

I too will no doubt get the game at some point, but not until it's cheaper and I've seen some reviews. A chance to essentially 'play Aliens the movie' though is the big sell here, let's face it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by bassman; 21-May-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Squee!
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    February 12, 2013
    Not sure why, but for some reason the look of this game isn't exciting me? Also, STILL NINE months off?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Not really a "suspense" trailer is it? It's an action trailer.

Anyway - I'll definitely play it sometime, although some of the character animations seem a tad off at the moment ... and I'm surprised to see this is still so long away from release. At least it spreads things out a little bit, but even still, the inevitable 'holiday season' logjam will be upon us again in a few months.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Not sure why, but for some reason the look of this game isn't exciting me? Also, STILL NINE months off?

wtf, when did this change? jeez. i lost all hope for this franchise as games go

Undisclosed
    Because consoles are for kiddies!

Seriously, the same amount spent to buy a console would only be enough to buy a mid level video card for a pc; cpu, memory, motherboard, power supply, etc not included. Plus you just don't get the range of movement as you do with keyboard mouse. The majority of console owners probably will never build a high end gaming pc and see what the full capability of those rigs.

Here is some info that the Xbox/PS crowd would like buried under a mountain of returned copies of Mass Effect 3:

Console Gamers Get Killed against PC Gamers

Microsoft Killed a Killer Project

I never thought I would be more disappointed in the industry then when Microsoft killed Ensemble Studios. ..however nothing surprises me anymore

Rumor has it that there was a project many many months ago at Microsoft that was under wraps. The goal was to bridge XBOX gamers with PC Gamers so they could play against one another in games like Unreal, or Gears of War. This was all part of their Live strategy, and had Microsoft just stuck to their guns and made it work PC Gaming might be in a much better position than it is today.

Not to say that PC Gaming is in a bad position, but it's not like it used to be. The PC is shifting, as I've said many times over the last couple of years. The need for multiple high performance graphics cards is all but dead. You can play any PC Game on an HP Envy at high resolution with high detail, for example. PCs are becoming more mobile, form factors are shifting, touch is being embraced as well as other technologies. The word "PC" is dead, but the concept of personal computing isn't. ..but this isn't the point.

There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved --- what happened?

Those of us who have been in the gaming business for over a decade know the real deal. You simply don't get the same level of detail or control as you do with a PC over a console. It's a real shame that Microsoft killed this -- because had they kept it alive it might have actually increased the desire of game developers and gamers alike to continue developing and playing rich experiences on the PC which would trickle down to the console as it has in the past.

Instead they wanted to keep an old business model alive, and as a result they are (all) getting attacked by the most unlikely competitor.. Apple.

..had they allowed something like this to take place then perhaps the desire to have the best platform would still be there. Perhaps the scale of the PC would have allowed Microsoft to get away from the hardware business and focus on their core, software. Perhaps we could have finally integrated the XBOX into the PC...

Perhaps not, all of this is over now, there is no looking back.

So in a nutshell, the video game warrior elites of the console major leagues just couldn't compete against what amounted to a AAA level minor league team of pc gamers. If MS would have seen this project to completion the result would have been so many XBOX players turning 360 and walking away from their consoles that it would have caused the earth to reverse rotation.

What it really comes down to is that game companies find that it is cheaper and more profitable to make console games then port them over to p.c., often with disastrous results- Homefront comes to mind.

Ireland
    I'm not a console gamer at all. Much prefer the PC game experience. Although I own an Xbox, I'm not all that arsed to bother with it, unless I HAVE to use it for a console only affair like 'Red Dead Redemption'.

Mouse and Keyboard is the way to go, all the time. The controller just doesn't cut it and the fact that, by and large, the gamer is forced to use auto-lock functions so they can actually hit a target if a bit of a joke. It dumbs down the whole game, which has always been an issue with console gaming anyway.

The biggest problem with PC gaming at the moment is the industry's obsession with piracy and the terrible DRMs that plague the whole bloody thing. The more the suits in the industry keep treating everyone, including paying customers, as pirates, the more people will move away from PC gaming altogether.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Plus that PC games are, I'd reckon anyway, artificially made to require better hardware to inspire people to buy the expensive hardware upgrades that consolers don't have to (you buy a console, you're done until next generation, pretty much). I do hate the whole DRM/piracy issue on the PC, it makes it an utter nuisance for the person who has a legit copy, but the illegal downloader avoids all the hassle.

PC definitely has the edge by a wide margin in terms of control. I was a much better shot on PC than I am on consoles, but I wanted a more relaxed gaming experience and made the switch to the console market years ago now (while occasionally playing on the PC from time-to-time), however the analogue sticks of the consoles do allow a better range of character momentum - i.e. with the PC you're either running or you're walking, there's no incremental difference like you get on analogue sticks ... but with that you do lose accuracy, and have to rely on lock on help. Consoles are more comfortable to play with, but PCs (if you've got the money and hardware, and patience for all the DRM/piracy/Steam bullshit) provide a keener experience, for sure.