Thread: The Darkness II (video game)

Dying

United States

The Darkness II (video game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDaCOIpdZM

While I was a big fan of The Darkness as a comic, I wasn't as happy with the first game. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but it was basically just another FPS. I'm quite a bit more excited for this one, though, since the majority of work on the game was done by Gearbox, the studio responsible for Borderlands.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    really enjoyed the first game, problems aside it was an enjoyable fps that was better than the typical straight line copy paste corridors against "foreign people" most fps games this gen have been. pretty excited for this.

Undisclosed
    Gamefly shipped it today, so I should have it by Wednesday.

-- -------- Post added 08-Feb-2012 at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-Feb-2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

Game in hand. I will discuss it after I have played it for a little while.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    The faux free roaming thing in the original was a bit of a let down - but story wise I thought the original excelled beyond that of many games that have been coined as "art" over the years.

I've a bit of a problem with the writing of game based dialogue and characters in general - in fact, aside from The Darkness - I find it really difficult to think of a game where the characters aren't complete cliches or sound like they're written by 12 year olds.

take Skyrim for instance...great game - but I challenge anyone to read even a single "book" in that world that doesn't sound like a teenager's attempt at storywriting for GCSE exams...!

However, as The Darkness came from a strong source, the writing in the game stuck with me for a long time and the end of the game actually made me feel a little sad...very much in the same vein as The Crow in terms of it's dark love story element. Still very nicely done from what I remember.

That reminds me - the best writing of any game that I've ever seen I think, was the story to The Witcher 2. Now that was phenomenal. Proper characters, proper motivations, and proper conflict, drama and intrigue - brilliantly done.

if The Darkness 2 is even close to it's originator in terms of it's story - I'll certainly be picking it up!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    I beat the main campaign and its short. There is a New Game+ and Vendettas : Campaign and Hit List for replay value. Also, watch the entire ending credits.