Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First Look as Season Two production begins

England
    Its definately the post apocalyptic scenario for me. Dawn introduced me to it. Thats why im here.

On a side note. My 20 year old nephew came to stay with me the other weekend and he asked to watch Dawn again but this time on the big screen. He definately gets Romero without being obsessive about it.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Because it's the theme/nature of the apocalypse people get a kick out of! The point is, it's not armies of the dead that make an interesting/good film, it's the human interaction with the world as it has now become...
    And the theme is a "ZOMBIE" apocalypse. Otherwise we have 'The Road', which is a great movie too.

Well, I'm primarilly drawn to zombie films because of the zombies. I love em. There's a reason why I sat through 'Return of the Living Dead', 'The Beyond', 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'Zombi III' and it wasn't for the human characters. The zombies are also the reason I love 'Day of the Dead' so much too. I'll be honest. Romero's take on the dead in that movie is terrifying. They really are very disturbing. Sure, the acting is the best out of the original 3 (even if ain't RADA standard) and it makes for some good interaction. But they're essentially the same bunch of bickering wankers Romero has been peddling since 1968. I've seen Day about a million times now (give or take) and I know every line. The human interaction isn't the draw that keeps me putting the disc back in the player. I know the drama. I know the lines. But, I still get the same feeling at that opening scene. It scares the shite out of me. I still feel revulsion at the zombie spilling his guts on the floor of Logan's lab. I still feel really uneasy about the zombies at the gates and I still shiver at the thought of Sarah and Bill getting shoved into the holding pen.

But just because a film has zombies in it doesn't automatically make it a good film, of course. You can count the number of good zombie movies (as far as drama is concerned) on the fingers of one hand.

The flip side is, of course, zombie films that leave out the zombies/gore too much. That's short changing me, no matter how good the human parts are played. That's the worst offence to me. By definition, a zombie film has to have zombies in it and munching scenes too.

Otherwise, make 'The Road'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And the theme is a "ZOMBIE" apocalypse. Otherwise we have 'The Road', which is a great movie too.

Well, I'm primarilly drawn to zombie films because of the zombies. I love em. There's a reason why I sat through 'Return of the Living Dead', 'The Beyond', 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'Zombi III' and it wasn't for the human characters. The zombies are also the reason I love 'Day of the Dead' so much too. I'll be honest. Romero's take on the dead in that movie is terrifying. They really are very disturbing.
    I think you're missing the point... And I think we're sort of agreeing.

Zombies do not automatically equal a good film to me. And I think the same can be said for you! "Day of the Dead" remake anyone? "Children of the Living Dead" anyone?

What's being said is the zombies are NOT the most important thing, they are there to set the scene within which the more important stuff (drama/action/horror) can then take place.

A whole film just showing armies of the living dead chowing down on people, would most likely be rather dull. But introduce some insightful human drama into this situation, and voila!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    More info from Kirkman about season 2

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24990

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE COMIC

Q: With Season 2 underway, what are you looking forward to?

A: Time spent in the Atlanta sun. I don't go outside a lot and it's nice to be in nature. Mostly I'm just looking forward to seeing the actors again. We don't get to hang out that much, so it'll be fun to get back to seeing those guys and interrupting them while they're working: "I know you're really worried about this scene and you're trying to get your lines straight and everything, but let's chat about what I saw on TV last night."

Q: What are you expecting from the first few weeks?

A: It's a funny question: I really don't know exactly what they're going to be shooting. But I will say there are some really awesome set-pieces coming up in the first episode. It's just going to be a lot of fun to get back and see Andrew and Sarah and Jon in costume again, watching Greg Nicotero make zombies again. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Q: Have you seen what Greg has planned, zombie-wise?

A: Oh yeah. I've seen a lot of the stuff that he's been putting together, and I can just say that he's definitely taking things to the next level. I used to joke when we were promoting the first season, I would say "These are the best zombies that you've ever seen because Greg Nicotero has perfected his craft, and if he goes and does a zombie movie next THOSE will be the best zombies you've ever seen." And now I'm happy to say that The Walking Dead Season 2 zombies are the best zombies you've ever seen because that's what Greg Nicotero is doing next. There are going to be some memorable comic book zombies here and there, and then a lot is just Greg going, "OK, what can you do to the human body?"

Q: Previously, you announced that Hershel's farm would play a big factor in Season 2. What can you tell us about that?

A: Season 1 focused on Atlanta so much, and we got to see desolate Atlanta and how this stuff affects cities. And that was really cool, and a lot of cool visuals come from that. But rather than repeat ourselves we're going out into the woods. We're gonna see a lot of rural roads and open fields see how bad things are as you get away from the city centers. It's definitely different enough that Season 2 stands on its own and has its own thing. And a lot of that comes from Hershel's farm and seeing these characters. All I can say is it's gonna be great, and the casting on Season 2 is going to be as pitch-perfect as the casting on Season 1. I can't wait for everyone to meet Hershel.

Q: Any hints who will be playing him?

A: We were looking really hard at Charlie Sheen for everyone, but he can't play multiple roles. Turns out he can't even play one, so, I don't know. [Laughs]

Q: How does the fact that Shane's still alive change the story since he died so early in the comic?

A: While we're mapping out this arc and figuring out this story, we'll pull something in from the comic and then we'll go, "OK, so how does Shane existing change this? What does Shane bring to the situation? What's going on with his character at this point and how does it affect this thing that's already existed." It's really neat for me to treat The Walking Dead TV show as an alternate dimension where Shane lived, and there's all this different stuff happening because of that. Shane really throws a wrench in a lot of stuff.

Q: Are you now reluctant to kill him off?

A: Yeah absolutely. It's hard thinking about killing any character. If they're good characters, there are always more scenes to write, but this is the nature of things: There are zombies around. People gots to die. And after getting to know Jon Bernthal and see his portrayal of Shane, it's not an easy decision. He's past his expiration date by comic book standards, but Shane is by no means rotten. I think he's remaining fresh for a while. We'll see.

Q: Last season you were pretty adamant you wouldn't be dress up as a zombie. Have you had a change of heart?

A: I have not changed my mind. It's just a pet peeve of mine: I don't like recognizing people in cameo. I'm fine with cameos where I know that's a buddy of mine that's a zombie, but I do so much promotion for the show I just feel like viewers would be like, "That's that guy from the Internet! What's he doing in the background?" I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the scene. Also, I would not be able to resist the urge to wave. No one wants to see a waving zombie.

Q: How about directing an episode this season?

A: No, no no. That's ridiculous. I won't do that until Season 3. [Laughs] Look, directing looks really difficult. And I'm really proud of the fact that I've made my living by doing things that aren't very difficult. So, you know, I don't want to start working for a living. That just seems unwise to me.

Q: What can you tell us about Season 2 that no one knows?

A: It's hard because you're AMC, so I should be able to just say a bunch of things. But I don't want to get either of us in trouble. So let me think... It's gonna be a lot of fun seeing a potential love interest for Glenn. He ended up being a fan favorite in the first season, so we get to see a little bit of romance for this guy.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 16-Jun-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Spoilers

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    There probably shoulda been comic spoiler tags one some of that (or are we already past that point...?)

Anyhow...

Q: How does the fact that Shane's still alive change the story since he died so early in the comic?

A: While we're mapping out this arc and figuring out this story, we'll pull something in from the comic and then we'll go, "OK, so how does Shane existing change this? What does Shane bring to the situation? What's going on with his character at this point and how does it affect this thing that's already existed." It's really neat for me to treat The Walking Dead TV show as an alternate dimension where Shane lived, and there's all this different stuff happening because of that. Shane really throws a wrench in a lot of stuff.

Q: Are you now reluctant to kill him off?

A: Yeah absolutely. It's hard thinking about killing any character. If they're good characters, there are always more scenes to write, but this is the nature of things: There are zombies around. People gots to die. And after getting to know Jon Bernthal and see his portrayal of Shane, it's not an easy decision. He's past his expiration date by comic book standards, but Shane is by no means rotten. I think he's remaining fresh for a while. We'll see.
    VERY interesting. So it's not necessarily a forgone conclusion at this point...Hurm...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 16-Jun-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: que?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    There probably shoulda been comic spoiler tags one some of that (or are we already past that point...?)

Anyhow...

VERY interesting. So it's not necessarily a forgone conclusion at this point...Hurm...
    Spoiler warning added

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maggie Greene confirmation. I was thinking they may shy away from going that direction...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    A By definition, a zombie film has to have zombies in it and munching scenes too.
    Amen to that.

And yeah, Italian zombies are very funky (le notti del terrore FTW).
    And yes; Day is prob 'the best zombie film ever' because of the human drama. That's also why Walking dead works so well.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think you're missing the point... And I think we're sort of agreeing.

Zombies do not automatically equal a good film to me. And I think the same can be said for you! "Day of the Dead" remake anyone? "Children of the Living Dead" anyone?

What's being said is the zombies are NOT the most important thing, they are there to set the scene within which the more important stuff (drama/action/horror) can then take place.

A whole film just showing armies of the living dead chowing down on people, would most likely be rather dull. But introduce some insightful human drama into this situation, and voila!
    Agreed. Anything with one note is bound to become tedious. However, it's the inference that zombies are secondary to the whole zombie apocalypse scenario that I don't buy into. Of course human drama is essential in a dramatic situation. But, to me it's not more or less important to the focus on what's causing that drama. That'll be the zombies.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 17-Jun-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Yeah. I see your point. I think we're agreeing on the same things here;
    a) zombies done right are really funky monsters
    and
    b) zombies alone do not make a great film; you need a great script.
    and
    c) in the best in the genre, the original Romero trilogy, the human inability to communicate poses a bigger threat than the actual zombies. They are just there.
    Not that they aren't important or anything but all the drama in those films comes from the humans.
    You know; as much as I like day (to me it's the best in the genre) I find the opening to Dawn way scarier. The atmosphere in that tv studio gets me every time. I find it scarier than any scene where they actually show the undead.

Same with walking dead; they better get their act together and make us care about those characters. I think a great script and well rounded characters will have the masses return to the series week after week. That and those funky zombies. That goes without saying.
    Last edited by krisvds; 18-Jun-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Um...kind of.

If we take the best film, 'Day of the Dead', we can see a lot of the drama coming from the first part of the film from the human element for sure. That's because there's little focus on the zombies throughout. However, all their pissing and moaning is dwarfed by the drama of the zombie invasion into the missile silo in the second half, when the human characters are basically reduced to (potential) screaming dinners. Any "threat" from the human lack of communication is mickey mouse compared to the threat of being devoured by the dead.

To me, the "zombie apocalypse" as it's become known, is a really terrifying concept. But, it really has only been done right once and that's 'Day of the Dead', where Romero hit such ripe chord. In fact, it was so ripe a chord, it was rejected by fans of 'Dawn of the Dead' at first, as it completely abandoned the "fun" of the first sequel. 'Day of the Dead' and it's spectacular gore effects show clearly and horribly the consequences of being a zombie lunch. There isn't another zombie movie that shows that in such a graphic way. Attacks are usually a bite here and there and somebody turning. But, the attack on Rickles in Day is yet to be bettered in any film. It's truly horrifying.

It's yet to be seen whether 'The Walking Dead' won't implode, but it'll need to up the ante to a large degree if it's to beat the "Darkest Day of horror the world has ever known..."

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    "Same with walking dead; they better get their act together and make us care about those characters. I think a great script and well rounded characters will have the masses return to the series week after week."

It will not be the only decent show on television this time.
    Running in a vaccuum as it were.
    That present's a Fly in the ointment ratings wise.

Being Attacked

United States
    I agree with a lot of the above statements but I also think re: the zombies vs. human drama argument that both sides are right. I think the psychology of the humans reacting to the horrific events and the way they react to each other is absolutely what a lot of my fascination comes from. Its why I enjoy apocalyptic scenarios of other types too (machines, apes, diseases, etc.). That said though, I also really dig zombies, and I find them to be one of the scariest monsters no matter what anyone says. They dont have to be fast, or fly, or shoot lasers, or any of that crap to be scary. The fact that they never, ever quit, that there are always more no matter how many you kill. They cant be reasoned with, or bargained with, or coexisted with. Its very simple, you have to kill them or they will eat you. The fact that a small number is relatively easy has always added to the suspense for me. Sure you can get away from one or two (or any small number) only leads to there being more and more until you are overwhelmed.
    As for the orange sherbret eyes? I kind of like them, and the comment made that they look like she was hosting some alien virus? Well isn't she possibly?

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post
    The fact that they never, ever quit.
    Well, apart from NIGHT when they gave up trying to get at Ben in the basement...

United States
    Yeah, the story has to be good, but if you don't have cool looking zombies tearing into someone every once in awhile... I start getting fidgety. I'm there for them, and the make up better be the schnizz.
    Season 1 had some silliness in it, like them walking through the undead. That was about the only part I really didn't like.
    That, and some of the cholo dialogue.
    I'm ready for season 2, bring it.