I am a video editor special fx artist and 3d animator, i own my own website over at

http://www.video-fx-universe.com and the forums have all kinds of interesting special fx film making stuff.

Anyhow onto the point of this post, some of this may have already been written before or already used by some people so i appologise if you are already aware of some of these tips lets get down to business

Cook Edible Fake Blood for mouth wounds, etc...

Fake blood can be a real challenge---too red, too clear, too...fake. But this recipe is thick, you don't have to cook, is totally safe to eat and not too many ingredients -- unfortunately they probably won't be found right in your cupboard unless you live w/ grandma. So sometimes its easier to buy fake blood capsules and be done but if that's not feasible cuz it's 3am or you live in a small town, go to the grocery store and make this.

step 1Ingredients
You will need:

Food Coloring : Red and Blue
LIGHT Karo (or other brand) corn syrup
flour
mixing bowl
*optional measuring cup and spoons

step 2Coloring
I started with 20mL of corn syrup because the red food coloring does NOT go far. I don't need tons, I just need it for some knocked out teeth in an upcoming short. This guide is therefor based on 20mL (less than 1/8cup) of corn syrup.

You will need to drop in 50, yes fifty, drops of red. It takes a lot to lose the clear brightness of the food coloring. The blue is the special ingredient (thanks Lloyd). But be careful. Use only 1 or 2 drops of blue. It turns burgundy-blueberry pie filling looking quick and then you have to start over. So:

1 or 2 drops of Blue per 50 drops of Red

step 3Adding Flour
The flour will really help the blood lose its transparency. Add it slow because it gums up and you'll have to add more corn syrup and food coloring if you add too much.

I started with 1/2 tsp of flour, mixed it in and sprinkled more in until it was no longer clear but still syrupy.

step 4Mix and Go!
Mix it up and pour it into an airtight container and its ready to take on location!

step 5Gross!
Smear it all over your mouth and cry in pain when the direction yells, "ACTION

Fake Scab Recipe
1 part Gelatin
1 part water

Mix in small quantities, and apply to skin within 30 seconds. This will harden to form a decaying flesh texture. Do this before putting makeup on!

Fake Flesh Recipe

2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1 cup Salt
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons cooking oil

First boil the water, and add everything but the flour. Then add the flour slowly, over low heat. Cook until it becomes a warm doughy ball. Form this into rotting flesh slabs, and adhere them to your face with liquid latex(ideally), or fake scab mix. This stuff has been tested, and it makes great scars, gashes, and decaying flesh.

A Good gore effect

why waste time making meaty bits out of rubber, when you can use a can of crushed tomatos, you know the ones that are all dripping in their own juice. Those things look great and realistic. good for making a zombie film if you want to see the zombies munching on what looks like human organs