Thread: Devo fans - Toni Basil

Administrator

England

Devo fans - Toni Basil

Any of you Devo fans recall Toni Basil? Obviously a few of her songs were Devo produced...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Neil, you are showing your age. Now sit down and have a cup of tea.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Neil, you are showing your age. Now sit down and have a cup of tea.
    She did a little TV special for BBC back in the early 80s which was basically introducing her "Word of Mouth" album... I have fond memories of it

Have you seen her recently? She much be around 60 and looks amazing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Not heard of her (too young ) but I have plenty of time for Devo!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Not heard of her (too young ) but I have plenty of time for Devo!
    I think as well as her covering a couple of their tracks, Devo were involved with some of her productions/songs... You can definately hear their style in some of them!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I saw Toni Basil in an interview just a few years ago and was struck by how little her looks have changed (comparatively speaking) and how well spoken she was. I've never been drawn to her music too much, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I saw Toni Basil in an interview just a few years ago and was struck by how little her looks have changed (comparatively speaking) and how well spoken she was. I've never been drawn to her music too much, though.
    She's nearly 70 now!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Here's a pretty recent pic:

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Actually I realised after I wrote that that I do know who she is, she did that "Mickey" song! (which I often get sung at me on nights out with the words changed to Tricky) Not a fan of her music but I agree she looks bloody good for her age!

United States
    Didn't realize she was almost 40 when she made the Mickey video.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    she did that "Mickey" song! (which I often get sung at me on nights out with the words changed to Tricky)
    Bwahahaha

Oh, crap....now it's stuck in my head.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Here's a pretty recent pic:

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Shame on you! She's nearly 70!!!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Shame on you! She's nearly 70!!!
    I would've said 101, but fiiiiine....

Stepping into the wayback machine:

From her scene in Easy Rider. Happy?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.