Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes A BAD Zombie Film?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'm with DJ on this one... death metal in horror flicks does NOT make a movie more hardcore, scary, horrific, intense... whatever. It's just awful.
    Concur. It's like you're trying to hard to be "cool" : "Look kids! I dig what you young folks are listening to! I'm hip!"

You might as well have your movie put on Hammer Pants & jump around going "Can't touch this!" if you're going to the well of tired & cliched.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated :-)

At a meeting last night my script was given the official go-ahead to be the first feature produced by the newly formed coalition of local filmmakers, so we're on the way :-)

So far, it looks as though my script avoids all the traps you've emntioned. I'm treating the subject matter seriously, not as a comedy. No running zombies, although I describe some of them as moving at a "fast shamble". No death metal. No instant kick-ass sharpshooters. Since this film is set in Australia, guns are nowhere near as prevalent as they are in the States. In fact there's only one gun in the script, and a lot of the internal conflict comes from argument over who gets the gun.

Since this group is made up of local filmmakers, production gear isn't a huge problem. Camera-wise we have several 5D MkII's and 7Ds, or Sony EX series cameras available. If we can up the cash budget a bit, there's even the possibility of shooting on a SI2K or RED. I'm a TV cameraman by trade, so I know most of the freelancers in town. A friend who has worked as a soundie on several features in Queensland is keen to get involved, so we'll have experience in that department as well.

The guy who initiated the coalition idea is a pro stunt guy with his own team, so we have that covered, as well as access to professional armourers. For makeup, there are a couple of make-up academies in town, one with a number of feature credits, who we'll be approaching to see if we can get some of their better students on board.

So, I'm excited :-) The next month will be spent ironing out the wrinkles in the script, then into pre-prod. Wish me luck :-)
    Last edited by Ozhair; 15-Jun-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: correct spelling errors

Australia
    Goodluck Ozhair! It's so exciting to have an up&coming Aussie zombie film!

PS: Guys I'm so glad to hear your throughts about metal in zombie movies, that really annoys me. It DOESN'T add to it, & can take away from it.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by glazedoverdead View Post
    Hey hey now DJ... What the Hell is wrong with using Death Metal my friend???
    It is just one chord noise.

-- -------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BruceDowns View Post
    Hi Guys,

Great thread. I'm also shooting a zombie (short) in late July. that i co-wrote with Rob Fox the auther of "z day is here" amazon link. If you don't mind please listen to this song, Dead Alive, that a friend wrote that i have permission to use. If you want to follow the production and news for the movie like my facebook page, Mile 29 Films. Thanks.
    I like the riff of the song, but the vocals are horrible. Ask the artist if you can get the instrumental version of the song, that would work for an end credits track.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Well, I have no problem with Death Metal in horror films in general. I don't feel that it makes the movie any better though either. It's a good movie or its not simple as that. I don't mind Metal in the movied probably because I happen to like Death Metal anyway, but I understand where you're coming from, especially if you don't care for that music in the first place.
    Now, if you want to have a good time and you need some p@*$y...you can cut that chicken's head off...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Thumbs down

- Unrealistic things... Zombies that have inhuman traits (strength, quickness, etc.).
    You actually mean zombies are realistic in any way?

Disappointing -

- Explaining Zombies - Yes, we all want to know *why* there are zombies. Don't bog me down with explanations... especially if those explanations are half-assed and make less sense than not knowing. Take a cue from Romero - the 3 greatest zombie movies of all time have NO ANSWERS about why there are zombies.
    Is there any explanation that actually comes close to explaining zombies? The entire idiocy of the entire genre is contained in that little fact. Zombies make no sense. Their taking over anything at all makes no sense.
    Morons of the World, unite! You have nothing to lose but your brains...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No "investigating" strange noises ALONE. And for Pete's sake keep the comedy to a minimum. There's a fine line between well placed chuckles and slapstick that will make eyes roll. (see GAr's latest offerings).

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    You actually mean zombies are realistic in any way?
    It's still possible to portray a somewhat unrealistic thing in a realistic way. Zombies portrayed as basicall dead humans, with human abilities or less= somewhat belivable. Zombies portrayed as SUPER human= less belivable.

The entire idiocy of the entire genre is contained in that little fact.
    I find it increaseingly odd that a guy with a dislike for "fanboys" and who consideres the zombie genre idotic is hagining around a GAR FANsite devoted to ZOMBIES.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I loathe almost all rap music, so I'm off to post on Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, & Eminem's websites...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What makes a bad zombie film?:

John Russo within 1,000 yards of the set.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    what makes a bad zombie film?:

John russo within 1,000 yards of the set. :d

lol :d
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

I find it increaseingly odd that a guy with a dislike for "fanboys" and who consideres the zombie genre idotic is hagining around a GAR FANsite devoted to ZOMBIES.
    I'm hanging around this site because, among other things, it has a "general horror" dimension. Also, because I write across genres. Any problems from your PoV with that?

I hate imperialism, too. Does that mean I can't read imperialistic literature and respond appropriately?
    Morons of the World, unite! You have nothing to lose but your brains...

Being Attacked

United States
    I'm hanging around this site because, among other things, it has a "general horror" dimension. Also, because I write across genres. Any problems from your PoV with that?

I hate imperialism, too. Does that mean I can't read imperialistic literature and respond appropriately?
    Of course it doesnt. But his statement is still valid. If you dont like zombies and indeed find them 'idiotic' it seems that this would be a place you would have very little interest in. Yes there is a small 'General' Horror section here, but why would you think you needed to read this topic? Or that anyone would be interested in your input? The very fact that you find the whole genre "idiotic' pretty much means that you have no useful ideas as to what can make one zombie movie better or worse, you have already stated you find them ALL 'idiotic'. Of course its a free discussion and you are welcome to chime in, just dont expect anyone to take you seriously or respect you input.

United States
    No problem. Just an observation.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    what makes a bad zombie film?:

John russo within 1,000 yards of the set. :d

agreed 1,000,000,000 %
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I would be tempted to encourage you to avoid the zombie genre altogether (particularly the vanilla outbreak style) if you are at all concerned with making a unique, original, quality film that will further your careers. There has been a massive glut of zombie films, both good and bad, in recent years and now the genre is starting to look really tired and in much need of rest and/or reinvention. The problem with asking fans for help is that most of us (myself included) have very entrenched, arbitrary opinions about the genre, and a deep emotional investment in the genre as it currently stands, which make us probably the worst people to ask if you really want to get creative. If you get too interested in the demands of us fanboys, you'll just find yourself making the zombie equivalent of custom fetish videos.