Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wii U (game console)

Administrator

England

Wii U (game console)

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction

Confused that they seem to have lost the simple controllers found on the existing Wii that are so great for so many games!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i'm utterly indifferent, leaning to mild disappointment. my apple products did this a year ago and this is being touted as next generation technology. Nintendo seems stuck in a creative rut, a well selling one but they aint trying to fix it since it doesnt need it now, but its going to get broken.
    Look at zelda, love that series to death but it used to be they would make crazy changes each time, now they seem set on ocarina clones with different art directions. and they wont be bad, and therin lies the problem, if they get praise- deserved praise- they wont try for anything new anymore.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like Hellsing, i'm in the "meh" category. I'll have to wait and see more before I officially don't care, though.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Look at zelda, love that series to death but it used to be they would make crazy changes each time, now they seem set on ocarina clones with different art directions. and they wont be bad, and therin lies the problem, if they get praise- deserved praise- they wont try for anything new anymore.
    You can't really blame them for re-hashing Ocarina of Time. It is the best Zelda game of all time.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Jun-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You can't really blame them for re-hashing Ocarina of Time. It is the best Zelda game of all time.
    but its still there to go and be played any time y'know? give me a steampunk zelda set in a industrial revolution hyrule or something, anything that shakes it up a lot. not just a different mode of travel.

United States
    I like that third party developers are on board from the get go, with Ninja Gaiden 3 and Battlefield 3 both included on their demo reel.

Yesterday's reveal wasn't about showing off the system's power or software, they didn't even show the actual system during the keynote. The controller was the main focus, and when combined with the Wiimote, could have interesting possibilities.

Depending on how much more powerful than PS3/360 it is, I may bite.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The zapper bit caught my attention where the screen acts as a sight. You can just turn the TV off and play a game this way, maybe you can have four mates over with screens of their own and play four player Left 4 Dead from anywhere in the house through WiFi. I might hold off Modern Warfare 3 on the 360 to play it with this screen though hope the options still there to play with a Wii Remote as well as a Classic Controller Pro.
    However there's plenty of life in the Wii especially with the new Remote Plus, I want to see it used for swordplay in Metal Gear Solid Rising and a lightsaber game, gunplay in Resident Evil 5 and Operation Raccoon City.

United States
    I'm not impressed.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeesh, the more i read the more i am kinda put off.

So far the biggest thing doing the rounds is the controller is not sold separately, because it would be too expensive to do so and is not cost effective, so god knows how you replace it when it breaks, however it also sounds like its 1 PER console and other players have to use a wiimote and nunchuck. that seems a little shitty to me.

Next almost all their HD footage of 3rd party stuff was actually video of xbox and ps3 games and the console is apparently not the powerhouse it was touted to be. Most games journalists have pointed out that, by putting it out so early, by the time the xbox 3 and the ps4 come out it will be far behind the curve. again.

Its not using blu-ray but another form of smaller media not unlike dvd. how is it going to have 'next gen' games when a current gen ps3 could be the only thing with the disc space for true current gen games?

Much as i lamented how casual focussed the microsoft conference was think about that. They are offering everything the wii did in the next year, but more streamlined and high tech. It's dull crap for me, but im not in this sizable market share they are going for. Its the folks brought into games BY the nintendo wii that will see the choice between little billy jumping about all active with his siblings till they go to bed playing kinect games, then mom and dad can use the variety of media center settings or little billy withdrawing to the corner to play zelda on his glorified gamegear controller.

I really don't know nintendo's angle this time. It is definitely being released at the wrong period in the markets current gen lifespan and sounds like a addon for the wii which equates to a collossal waste of money that doesnt seem to appeal to the casual family market OR the traditional 'hardcore' market either.

Now i love nintendo, they are responsible for a fair few of, to my mind, the best games ever made. So dont mistake this for internet fanboy wishing bad news on a company, but this just seems like a bad move for nintendo. Especially after the 3ds is apparently not selling so hot. I mean i hope they surprise us and knock it out of the park again but like most the wiis longterm staying power left me cold and this? this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The controller 'not being sold separately' is their way of saying it's being sold as standard with the console, recently Miyamoto said their toying with having two players.
    The specs haven't been finalized but the early dev kits are considerably more powerful then the Xbox 360.
    DVD's, Wii Optical Discs and Xbox 360 discs store 8GB the Wii-U discs store 25GB.
    Nintendo shouldn't have called it a Wii they said they wouldn't.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    So there are apparently the collected confirmed things from all the sites like ign and kotaku.

25GB optical discs
    USB/SD storage expansion (4 USB ports)
    Fully backwards compatible with the Wii (Games, Wii Remotes, Wii Balance Boards, etc.)
    Not backwards compatible with the GC
    No Blu-Ray
    Internal storage (No hard drive)
    Saving data to SD Cards (SDHC compatible
    45-nanometer 3 core IBM processor (embedded DRAM and Silicon insulator)
    Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i resolutions
    No DVD playback
    Controller not sold separately
    Wii U will only support the controller that comes with it
    6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen controller
    Rechargeable controller
    HDMI and AV Multi out ports
    Custom AMD Radeon™ HD GPU
    Controller has a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

So really. what if that 1 controller breaks?

Ireland
    Never understood the success of the Wii. Cannot believe that it's the largest selling console.

This WiiU thing fills me with the same heights of non-interest.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well Shootem, I believe the success of the Wii has to do with the success of its successors: simply put, Nintendo consoles are viewed as more "family-friendly", and thus more of the "casual" gamers buy them. Also, they have Mario and Link; very recognizable characters and household names. It's all marketing, really. Also, y'know, it was the first to have the "remote" technology on the market, so hey, again, novel and fun.
    Plus Xbox and Playstation have always sucked. (<-May or may not be the opinion of this person.)

Ireland
    Aye, you're correct there B2D. I think part of the Wii's success is also the girlies getting involved. To me, it's always been a girlie machine, with cutesy graphics and the pretence of "working out". We had a loan of one for a while. I really only liked the Tennis game (not the one that comes with it), but after a while it just sat there gathering dust until it went back to its owner (and back in her attic).

As a PC guy, I've always thought consoles "sucked". I still own an Xbox though (thanks Sue!) but I barely touch it. Would you believe, I have L.A. Noire still in it's box? Its plastic box, now, not the xbox

A new PC game is installed within hours of getting it home.

Weird that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Due out end of this year, and approx twice the power of a XBox 360?!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2315561/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo. The wii had some fine games; Mario galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda TP & SS,,... Also nice; Silent Hill Shattered Memories, House of the Dead Overkill, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sin & Punishment 2,...