Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Falling Skies (No Spoilers)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, I'm with Pub, Mitch and Trick here. This show isn't really doing it for me. It waaaay too full of peptalk and manhugs.
    word on that. that seems to be the problem with every post apoc series that's been attempted recently: jericho, the boring dead, and now this show. they are all full of ultra cheesy "tear jerky" moments, purple dialouge and unreal, idiotic characters.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    word on that. that seems to be the problem with every post apoc series that's been attempted recently: jericho, the boring dead, and now this show. they are all full of ultra cheesy "tear jerky" moments, purple dialouge and unreal, idiotic characters.
    its recession friendly to have people fake cry in an abandoned building. every minute they are doing that is a minute without special effects or set design.

England
    I watched "Battle Los Angeles" last night and while not perfect, it did this idea far better & without all the man hugs and tinkly piano, and some awesome big budget battle scenes!

United States
    To each their own, I believe, as some people are more interested in the action element as opposed to some the drama. I prefer this show because for one it really reminds me of a smarter version of "War of the Worlds" from the 80's (the opening sequence is almost identical too, I keep waiting on the aliens fingers to wrap around the globe like the "War of the Worlds" opening sequence) and because I dig the drama and I'm a huge Will Patton fan.

I could care less about action, if that's someones sort of thing I would recommend to check out any film by Michael Bay as there's plenty of action and "blowing of shit up" there. I'm more interested in characters/devlopment (even if the show is somewhat flawed, no more so than "The Walking Dead" which I equally enjoy and is also about drama too), as such I prefer a good independent flick any day of the week over some Hollywood blockbuster. As such, I'm absolutely digging this show.

When it comes to "The Walking Dead" I really appreciate the fact they focus on the drama so much as well -- I've said before and will say again I wouldn't mind seeing full episodes without a single zombie appearing. It's about the characters for me. Just my thoughts.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    When it comes to "The Walking Dead" I really appreciate the fact they focus on the drama so much as well -- I've said before and will say again I wouldn't mind seeing full episodes without a single zombie appearing. It's about the characters for me. Just my thoughts.

j.p.
    You should read the comics then, they are much better than the show.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I've never been able to get into comics really, but I enjoy the show for what it is. It's the best zombie television series I've ever seen by far!

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    seconded. the comics are everything the show is not.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    I've given up on his after 6.2 episodes.
    GARBAGE
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    GARBAGE
    i think in episode 7 or 8 another species of aliens shows up, you never know dude, could be the clihce 'everything changes' bit that makes it work for you.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    GARBAGE
    I'm enjoying it more with each episode honestly for the same reason some people don't like it. It's not given into a bunch of "blow shit up!" cliches but rather focuses on the drama of the situation. This show is basically a drama with some sci-fi elements to it, which I dig, as opposed to an action film with sci-fi elements (face it, we have enough of those to go around anyway!).

j.p.

Ireland
    I don't think the problem is a division between drama and "blowing shit up". It's a problem with the drama itself. It's terribly written, horribly clichéd and unconvincing.

Another issue I have with the show is the complete lack of danger. This human band seem to be camping largely out in the open, wandering around with great freedom and the aliens, who have complete dominance (including air superiority) can't see them?

eh?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't think the problem is a division between drama and "blowing shit up". It's a problem with the drama itself. It's terribly written, horribly clichéd and unconvincing.

Another issue I have with the show is the complete lack of danger. This human band seem to be camping largely out in the open, wandering around with great freedom and the aliens, who have complete dominance (including air superiority) can't see them?

eh?
    Pretty much agree with all this. Throw in the terrible score that seems to be throughout all the episodes as well.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just watched episode 8, talk about a step up in terms of quality and plot development. kind of got a fallout 3 vibe from the whole episode.

Shame its just starting to get really good and then we gotta wait for season 2.

but the twist about the you know what? called it on episode 1.

Administrator

England
    So this series is improving?

If we cast our eyes back to Babylon 5... It wasn't until the 3rd series it really found its feet IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    took about 10 episodes for stargate unvierse, and that became brilliant by the end.

didnt stop it getting shitcanned in favour of yet another series about a 30 year old actress playing a teen who falls in love with a vampire or something...