Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1970s! 1970s! 1970s!

Another country perhaps, if continuing with a modern setting (although I'd much prefer a period setting - did I mention the 1970s? ) then bung it in another country to do something to set it apart from GTA IV. A variety of landscapes is also a must, and agreed, if they can provide a story - and main character - as compelling as that found in Red Dead Redemption and John Marston, then that'll be a big plus.
    I was thinking 1960's in the UK. Can't be many more wilder scenes than that one !

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    How many more set piece games could they possibly have left? They had the old west with RDR, the forties in LA Noire, the eighties in Vice City, the nineties in San Andreas, and the others have been modern day. How many more radically different time frames can there be? They've almost run out of options. The set pieces were a nice marketing gimmick for a while, but I think now if they want to continue the GTA series in particular, they're going to have to keep them modern day and find something new to bring to the table.

That's the way I see it, anyway. They're going to stay with modern day storylines, but try branching the series out in other directions. Although the US is a big part of Rockstar's games, maybe we'll see them branching out to contries around the world at some point? Changing the gameplay and missions will go a long way, as well. Continuing to write stories like John Marston's will also be a big boost...

Modern day or set piece. Were you really gonna drop 60 bucks on it anyway? J/K

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I was thinking 1960's in the UK. Can't be many more wilder scenes than that one!
    They do have form on that front:

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think i'd rather see them do a futuristic one, like part firefly, part blade runner part total recall or something.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would like to see the end results of a future game but it just doesn't seem like a gamble that would work out in their favor. I dunno.....I just don't see people coming out in large numbers to get a GTA game set in the future. Not unless there are aliens, monsters, super powers, or the usual stuff in future games...
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Jun-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't know - so much of GTA's lure is basing itself on real world events and characters/character types - in a future setting you'd have to make everything up, and then it loses that edge that connects it to our actual world. Plus, why bother, we've already got two Crackdown games - and so many titles are set in future worlds as it is - GTA is better in modern times or period times - *ahem* - have I mentioned the 1970s being a good idea?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I was thinking 1960's in the UK. Can't be many more wilder scenes than that one !
    That could be cool, too. Playing the Crays, or the Piranna Bros!

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Nov-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Those be some bloody big mountains! I hope you can get all the way to the top ... hmmm ... methinks I'll be donning a hockey mask and going stalking in those woods for hitch hikers.

Speaking of which, you know what I'd like out of these sort of games - if you commit a crime and nobody sees it, you shouldn't get a cop on your arse in-game ... and if someone tries to get away or contact the cops, you can snuff them out too ... and even if they call on you, I think you should be able to blend back into the world, get out of the area, change your appearance on-the-hoof, and be able to get out of the area - for the cops to know exactly where you are just like that is kind of silly, when I think about it.

Anyway, good looking trailer - hopefully we won't be playing as some gangbanger or whatever in this game. I didn't connect at all to CJ and his crew - plus that's been done already - by the sounds of this, the protagonist is a family man, or was, or wants to be ... methinks it might be the guy in the dark suit who was overlooking the buildings in the distances - what say you guys?

Hopefully there'll be plenty of opportunities for customisation, spending your cash on actual in-game things like buildings and so on, and a good story with characters to match (up to the standard of RDR would be ideal). I'm rather looking forward to it, and it'll no doubt be a Day One purchase/pre-order for me ... let's hope it's not too long before we get more footage, and importantly, details about the gameplay and the plot.

England
    Looks pretty cool! I've just got back into the GTA games with GTA4 as it was £4 on steam last weekend (3 years after everyone else was playing it lol) and I'm impressed by how good it is! The city is a real living, breathing place, I just keep going off exploring much like I did with GTA3 when it first came out all those years ago, parking up and watching the sun rise etc. The humour is still very much there too, sometimes when walking down the street I'll hear someone shout "Cheesy vaginas!!"
    So yeah, I'm looking forward to this new one, my issues with San Andreas were that it was too big, there was lots of places with nothing there and the plot got more stupid as the game went along, I think in a lot of ways it was too ambitious for the technology available at the time, hopefully this time they'll make it a bit more realistic & obviously the technology will allow them to make a much more detailed game world

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This looks AWESOME. So pumped. Super happy the series is going back there and I hope they expand on all of the locations the "world" had before (as you can see they did with Mt Chiliad).

Also, Nick, when I commit crimes in GTA IV and there aren't any cops/witnesses around, I don't get any wanted stars.

United States
    was waiting all day to get off work and check this trailer out. looks damn good. glad to return to san andreas, and hoping that there's as much variety in scenery and locations as san andreas on the ps2/xbox. it'd also be cool to have some of those amazing customizations (weight, haircut, clothing, plus car mods) from the older san andreas game, too. while i also wasn't the biggest fan of the story, the gameplay, secrets, mini-games, distractions, etc in that game were awesome.

it appears that aircraft are back, and jet ski's, so maybe this one will be more fun and have more to do than GTAIV. while i enjoyed that game, there was little replay value at all in it after the main story was over. the multiplayer was incredibly lacking, too. hopefully they use some of the great mp features from RDR on GTAV.

either way, i'm in. i love me some GTA, and will likely being pre-ordering this baby.

oh, and i've already read some rabid internet speculation that the character is none other than tommy vercetti from vice city. while this is likely bullshit, i can't deny the fact that i'd love it to death if it was true and we got to catch up to our long-lost hero.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 03-Nov-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: asdfjkl;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    oh, and i've already read some rabid internet speculation that the character is none other than tommy vercetti from vice city. while this is likely bullshit, i can't deny the fact that i'd love it to death if it was true and we got to catch up to our long-lost hero.
    I've heard that too but if it is indeed Vercetti's voiceover in the trailer, it really doesn't sound like Ray Liotta at all.

EDIT: Liotta's reps confirm that he's not involved with GTAV.

And as you mention, I was thrilled to see the final shot of the plane. I really missed the flying/parachutes/jetpacks/etc in GTAIV. Hopefully that fun stuff will be back for this entry. I can't wait to spend hours riding dirtbikes off of cliffs in the mountains...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Nov-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    technically looks great, but not feeling it. I think 4 kind of finished the 'crime em up' idea for me. That and red dead was such a breath of fresh air.

That said im never the sort who can get into the 'rampage' aspect of these games. I play games for a story as much as gameplay- in some cases even more so and im asking myself why i would play another grand theft auto and im thinking of the modern action/crime motif and just thinking 'yeah, id rather just go play red dead again'.

Still looks awesome. Just need to see more plot to get enthused about it yknow? 4 was good when it came to the little scenes, but as a whole? kind of a weak plot. This is really gonna be what sells me on it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Mike - hmmm, that's strange ... anytime I use a gun (it's incredible that GTA IV had not a single silencer in the entire damn game!) the cops get on me pretty darn quick, even if I flee the scene. Now, running people over isn't so much an issue, you're long gone before anyone really notices ... however if you go on a rampage the cops get on you too easily, and they're on you like friggin' glue. It's kind of silly that, as you're trying to escape the blue/red cop zone, you'll pass a randomly spawning rozzer who knows exactly what you look like - even though nobody should know what you look like, and your car is the same as three others around it.

It was much harder in GTA IV to have rampage fun.

Now, GTA IV, the story was a big improvement over San Andreas - which, I agree, had a rubbish plot - I didn't connect to any of the gang members, and it just got sillier and sillier (but not the good kind of silly, sadly) as the game went on. All that shit with the CIA guy or whoever he was (played by James Woods) ... and also, lest we forget, that goddamned pilot's license! I was so utterly stuck at that I had to download a save game that set you immediately after getting the license in order for me to continue the game (and that was on PC, so you'd be screwed if such a silly thing happened in GTA V on consoles).

I also agree with bassman regarding how some of the wide open areas just had nothing in them - yes it's great to have wide open areas, but if there's sod all to do in them, then what's the point - it can become tedious to traverse such distances if there's nothing to do or see. We also need to be able to enter more buildings, we need more random events, and the world has to have a life of it's own seemingly independent of our actions.

Now, RDR set a great example of how things could be improved - and I hope that the folks behind GTA V have taken RDR on board and expanded upon what was established with that great game, and modelled it to suit GTA's Los Santos.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...and your car is the same as three others around it.
    damn, that is irritating. i really hope they fix that, but it's been like that in most GTA games: you spend twenty minutes dicking around trying to find a sweet ride, then finally get it, and within 5 minutes, everyone else has the same car....really takes you out of the experience.