Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    damn, that is irritating. i really hope they fix that, but it's been like that in most GTA games: you spend twenty minutes dicking around trying to find a sweet ride, then finally get it, and within 5 minutes, everyone else has the same car....really takes you out of the experience.
    lol, it is rather silly isn't it ... certain cars are very frequent, but others are rarer than gold-dust until you eventually find one ... then all of a sudden everybody's goddamned Rockerfeller.

I watched IGN's "rewind theatre" about this trailer - and good god it's retarded - two idiots escalating the wildest suggestions from the silliest explanations which don't make any sense anyway ... anyway, the trailer looks good ... there should be some nifty vehicles in there too. I've spotted versions of convertible Jeeps, Porsche/Aston Martins, Audi R8s, and the Bentley Continental GT.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I watched IGN's "rewind theatre" about this trailer - and good god it's retarded - two idiots escalating the wildest suggestions from the silliest explanations which don't make any sense anyway ... anyway, the trailer looks good ... there should be some nifty vehicles in there too. I've spotted versions of convertible Jeeps, Porsche/Aston Martins, Audi R8s, and the Bentley Continental GT.
    Yesterday I was looking over a popular GTA forum and it's crazy how these people are looking over every tiny detail of the trailers. They're like us and the dead movies!

Seriously though....they have pieced together about six different possible release dates from deciphering numbers shown throughout the trailer.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yesterday I was looking over a popular GTA forum and it's crazy how these people are looking over every tiny detail of the trailers. They're like us and the dead movies!

Seriously though....they have pieced together about six different possible release dates from deciphering numbers shown throughout the trailer.
    hehe, yeah, even in the comments on the video they're going wild - 24th of May they're saying ... and then Gamestop or some place you guys have over there apparently had it dated as September 2012 ... who knows eh?

Mind you, I'd hope that it'd come out around May 2012 ... which would also make sense ... the April/May slot is kind of Rockstar's thing now. GTA IV was April 2008, Red Dead Redemption was May 2010, L.A. Noire was May 2011 ... and particularly with the last two, they didn't really show or say anything about the games until 5 or 6 months prior to release, when they began showing a series of featurette videos that explored different aspects of the game. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but it also makes a little sense too.

What made me laugh most was the IGN folk surmising that it was Tommy Vercetti thusly - 'it isn't, but it is, so deal with it' ... well no, I won't 'deal with it', you have ZERO evidence to support that bizarre theory. Not only is it not Ray Liotta's voice (it's been confirmed he's not involved), but GTA games don't feature the same protagonist as a previous game; it's always somebody new.

They were also theorising that you'd play as multiple characters - Tommy Vercetti and CJ being the ones they guessed - the latter purely being because of the shot of that black guy being chased by cops down an alleyway! They even used a shot where a red car, chased by the cops, passes from left to right and hits a blue car - claiming it was the same 'character' - when in fact it wasn't at all, it was the same 'character' (i.e. NPC) from an earlier shot (in the same vehicle) where the convertible roof goes down as a girl walks by.

The silliest suggestion from them was the shot of the hobo holding a cardboard sign - they claimed it was Niko Bellic fallen on hard times. Not only does the hobo looking NOTHING like Niko Bellic, but it's just a random NPC used to help create a sense of the society in Los Santos - what are these guys smoking?

United States
    ...what are these guys smoking?
    maybe they're on "the dust"? i swear, axl rose's gig as tommy "nightmare" smith was probably one of the best dj's in GTA history. probably one of my favorite stations in any of the games, hands down. here's a sample of his work:

"you're on the dust....try not to shit your pants." (that line's not in the clip above, and IIRC, i've only heard it on the ps2 version, but it was an instant classic that my friends and i laughed our collective asses off the first time we heard it). i'm gonna have to "dust" off my copy of GTA:SA before too long in order to get ready for my glorious return....can't wait. i honestly think that GTA:SA is my favorite of the series, silly storyline aside. there was just so much to do, so many ways to customize your character, great soundtrack, etc. i spent a ton of time on that game, got the strategy guide, 100% all missions, side missions, hidden items, girlfriends, had a tank and fighter jet at my house in the grove, like 20 safe-houses all over the state with tons of sweet cars, all that jazz....sucks that i don't have my ps2 and that memory card....now i only have a digital copy on my xbox HDD and i've barely even scratched the surface of the first city.

EDIT: and damn, does rockstar know how to make a great trailer. after going out for a few drinks earlier this evening, i turned my xbox on and rewatched the trailer, and the alcohol caused the GTA-fanboy in me to start to twitch. i'd be willing to bet that rockstar put those shots of the tommy vercetti, cj, and (sorta) nico look-alikes in the trailer on purpose to build major hype. i almost started to allow myself to imagine how epic it would be if they did bring them back with some story that united them, similar to the DLC's for IV....because damned if the voice-over doesn't sound like tommy vercetti (or at least very close), and i can see the resemblance with him and cj. the nico could be just a jab at the voice actor. what caught my eye about the pic of that particular hobo was the words "need money" being at the top of his sign, which is something nico said quite often in GTAIV....and see, now i'm getting all worked up and thinking "what if..." rockstar, you bastards....

all reminiscing and speculating aside, if they can fix the crap things about GTAIV (lack of safe-houses, limited car and clothing options, stupid obligations to go bowling and play darts with your cousin) and bring back some of the elements of GTA:SA, along with the amazing RDR mp-experience, it could be their best game yet, RDR included.

really interested in the next official word from R*, hopefully with a release date. i'd have to agree with MZ that may sounds right on the money.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 05-Nov-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: wtf

Administrator

England
    News/rumours... http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rum...ogs-36731.html

1: The game world is absolutely massive and will push both xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character ( an African/American, early 30's) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

2: The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

3: There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.

4: There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

6: Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)

7: The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.

REAL JUICY INFO:

1: Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

2: The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.

3: Weapons include the usual arsenal you'd aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

4: it is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.

5: mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.

6: Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can't be altered by race, age, height, etc.

7: Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.

8: No children NPC at all. Ever.

9: There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in "hostage" situations.

10: The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

11: You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.

12: You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

13: Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.

14: One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game...

15: Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me.

I'm glad that you're less likely to get the cops on you if you kill someone with no rozzers around - it was daft how they'd just lock on to you no matter what. I hope they're not too realistic though - it's GTA - I want to have rampage fun when I'm not doing missions etc.

Glad that the open world will be populated with lots of people doing different things ... time to pick up a machete and a hockey mask.

The scale of the game sounds pretty massive - and I'd figured it'd just be Los Santos and surrounding country. It's a huge task to make these games anyway, so trebling the amount of work to create three fully realised cities would just be impossible. My one concern is how it'll run on the 360 - GTA IV had continual problems with loading data fast enough, especially when driving fast cars ... and it wasn't always the smoothest engine - I sincerely hope they've made the engine lovely and efficient at handling all that streaming data.

Oh yes, and I'm glad they've improved the shooting/movement mechanics. They'd been improved in RDR and LA Noire, but I recently went back to Episodes From Liberty City and I couldn't believe how bad the controls were. How on earth I put up with such faff-inducing controls for 200+ hours is beyond me...

A college campus sounds like it could be fun.

-- -------- Post added 08-Nov-2011 at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Nov-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

Been thinking more about that list - they mention a black protagonist on that list travelling 15 minutes to get from the city to somewhere in the sticks ... for one thing, I hope they have fast travel options, because driving all that distance all the time will get boring, and if you're hard up at some point in the game, paying for taxis all the way out there will cost a shedload.

The other thing though is the voice over in the trailer - to me anyway it sounds like a white guy - I could be wrong, but that's how it struck me.

Also, thinking about it even more, is the city going to be four times the size? Is that even technically possible? The entire gaming area (countryside included) as four times the size maybe, but who knows - and what about the 360's disc storage problem. Not all of us have 360 hard-drives (I certainly don't), and L.A. Noire was on 3 DVDs ... hmmm ... much to ponder, and much to discover in due course.

Some people have been saying on that site - pondering anyway - that could 2012 see the release of a new Xbox - who knows, who knows ... rumours and speculation all.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Nov-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Administrator

England
    that could 2012 see the release of a new Xbox - who knows, who knows ... rumours and speculation all.
    I think the new Wii is schedule for 2012, but the new Xbox and PS are not until year(s) after that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I think the new Wii is schedule for 2012, but the new Xbox and PS are not until year(s) after that!
    I don't know about years ... 2013 maybe? The Xbox has been around since Xmas 2005 and limitations are being met more regularly now - especially with disc capacity ... although apparently there's some update so now 360s can handle layered discs with more on them or something, or maybe that's not true, I just read some comment about that on that page...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Nov-2011 at 04:28 PM.

United States
    that list has already been confirmed as bullshit. i'm dying to know more, but until we have a second trailer and an accompanying press release from R* north, i'm not believing anything i hear/read.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    that list has already been confirmed as bullshit. i'm dying to know more, but until we have a second trailer and an accompanying press release from R* north, i'm not believing anything i hear/read.
    The list I quoted above?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    yeah. in fact, when i click on the link, the first sentence says "update" and goes on to say that this list and the report it came from are both false.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Some pretty sweet looking action screens:

I've just finished replaying GTAIV and moved on to RDR, so hopefully it won't be long before we get a release date and new trailer. I need a new GTA fix....
    Attached Images

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^^

Aye, saw these pics a little while ago. I'm quite excited, but would love to see more footage. I can't wait to see the video blogs they'll no doubt put out (like they did for RDR and MP3).

As for open world chaos in the mean time, I'm going to head back in to Saints Row 3 and cause more havoc. Annoyingly though, you can't maintain your character stats (or look) when you start a new game. If only they had the option to replay missions individually. I can't be arsed to take over the entire city all over again, let alone upgrade my character from scratch. Still though, just running around causing total havoc is fun in itself, so I've got SR3 there a stop-gap as I wait for GTA V - which I should be able to get some good playtime out of. GTA IV alone I got over 200 hours out of (chuck on another 25 to 40 hours out of Episodes From Liberty City).

Administrator

England
    Those screenshots do look amazing!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Those screenshots do look amazing!
    There'll certainly be some lovely scenery to look at as gamers around the globe drive their prostitutes to the peak of Mount Chiliad and have their sordid ways with them, that's for sure.