Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US man stages $1 bank robbery to get state healthcare

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

US man stages $1 bank robbery to get state healthcare

Peeps, this is the state of things in the mighty United states. And there's no defending this. Supposedly the richest country in the world has citizens resorting to this. Who needs universal healthcare right? THIS GUY!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ery-healthcare

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You've got to give it to him, it was a pretty good idea. I've often wondered why homeless people don't do the same...

United States
    He should be given a very stiff sentence for attempting to defraud taxpayers and the state. What he did was unacceptable and was done with malicious forethought as well before doing it. Now, it will cost thousands of dollars of taxpayer money for his legal fees paid for by taxpayers and thousands of additional dollars for his incarceration. If the state slaps him on the wrist and sets him on his way it will set an example that others can attempt to cheat the system and cheat taxpayers. A clear example needs to be set that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

So, good luck on your "free" medical care in prison, Mr. Verone, here's my wallet and the wallet of other taxpayers who pay into the system to cover you. Hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor. And hopefully the state of North Carolina will ensure your visit to prison will be more than a slap on the wrist since you're defrauding and cheating the system.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-Jun-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: yes
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You've got to give it to him, it was a pretty good idea. I've often wondered why homeless people don't do the same...
    Ahem... Well BM, it just so happens that during my experiences (which you already know about) I saw many a homeless person committ minor offeses, particularly during the winter months, in order to get "3 hots and a cot", so to speak.

Imo, that's different all together. It's not clear that they were doing it for health reasons as is the case with this guy. I mean what else was he supposed to do? He worked 17 years and fell on hard times, so he is hardly a welfare king. So what was his alternative? Roll over and die?

What makes us humans what we are is the ability to adapt and survive. Same reason why Latin Americans risk life and limb and cross deserts to come here get a better life.

Some see a waste of tax payer dollars. While some see a healthcare system that's broken.

But really, what would be the christian thing to do? Take care of these people? Or complain about how much it's costing us in taxes?

Now that's one to grow on peeps.

I'm just sayin'.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Oh yes, it's easy to get all the free food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare you need. But you also have to deal with that whole "being in prison" thing. If it's worth it to you, go for it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Some see a waste of tax payer dollars. While some see a healthcare system that's broken.
    QFT.

Besides....this amount of money is probably nothing compared to the rest of the crap the tax dollars go to.

Don't blame it on JD, though. He just hasn't had his daily minimum requirement of an 18 pack.
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Jun-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Actually my electricity at home is out due to a bad storm last night and I'm extra-cranky today. I'm hoping to have power back on when I get off work later today.

I'd actually argue it's both: The system IS broken AND it's a waste of taxpayer money to keep people locked up and provide for their incarceration when it's not necessary.

As far as the 18-pack remark, I'll have you know I'm no lush. A good-ol' 12-pack a day to keep the doc away works just fine for me, thank you kindly.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    QFT.

Besides....this amount of money is probably nothing compared to the rest of the crap the tax dollars go to.

Don't blame it on JD, though. He just hasn't had his daily minimum requirement of an 18 pack.

Funny, I never mentioned JD's name....

Talk about word association huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Actually my electricity at home is out due to a bad storm last night and I'm extra-cranky today. I'm hoping to have power back on when I get off work later today.

I'd actually argue it's both: The system IS broken AND it's a waste of taxpayer money to keep people locked up and provide for their incarceration when it's not necessary.

As far as the 18-pack remark, I'll have you know I'm no lush. A good-ol' 12-pack a day to keep the doc away works just fine for me, thank you kindly.

j.p.

I'd have to agree with you and I think I've said that before as well. Things in life aren't black and white. It's never just one thing that causes a problem but a combination of things.

Unfortunately, Society tends to focus on the most obvious ones and that in turn obfuscates the others. (What? Only aces, kraken and trin can use 50 dollar words now? )

Last edited by darth los; 22-Jun-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: jd's hat

Undisclosed
    That is one bank robber I would not shoot dead. I feel bad for him actually. Btw, how in the fuck did you manage to earn nearly 42,000 pts? Is this why you have not been on the site in a while?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    honestly, much as our hospitals need an overhaul, ive wondered why there isnt an english equivalent over there. Here theres a tax paid free health service. you break your arm, they go in and set it and cast it. no $1500 fee. but if you want something a little better and personal there are private hospitals you can pay for 'better' treatment anyway. It's not perfect but its a damn sight better than having a tumour you can't get removed because you can't front the bill right now.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland

Unfortunately, Society tends to focus on the most obvious ones and that in turn obfuscates the others. (What? Only aces, kraken and trin can use 50 dollar words now? )

Obfuscate: that is a good one!

Here's another one for free: altruism. Although, as a foreigner, my right to comment is probably limited, I've often thought that some US taxpayers could do with having more of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    That is one bank robber I would not shoot dead. I feel bad for him actually. Btw, how in the fuck did you manage to earn nearly 42,000 pts? Is this why you have not been on the site in a while?
    Well, i was, still am for that matter, having personal issues. I guess i lost myself in videogame land for a while as an escape. I didn't want to come on the site and be a dick to everyone as others have done in the past. I didn't want to be that guy.

But I'm better now, I swear. just ask my court appointed shrink.

Undisclosed
    Well, i was, still am for that matter, having personal issues. I guess i lost myself in videogame land for a while as an escape. I didn't want to come on the site and be a dick to everyone as others have done in the past. I didn't want to be that guy.

But I'm better now, I swear. just ask my court appointed shrink.

I hear you. It is not cool to take your fustrations out on people who have nothing to do with your problems. I had some personal issues not long ago, too. And I am just now getting back on track. It affected my training, my health, and my mood.

United States
    It's a common theme among conservatives to blame the poor for being poor. However its not that this man didn't "try" The article clearly states that he had jobs in the past, and that he had worked. He's a victim of circumstances mostly outside of his control.

Since he had no insurance, by committing larceny and being forced to use cheap prison society health care, who knows he might have actually saved tax payers dollars compared to checking himself into the emergency room and undergoing possibly thousands and thousands of dollars worth of treatment.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    It's a common theme among conservatives to blame the poor for being poor. However its not that this man didn't "try" The article clearly states that he had jobs in the past, and that he had worked. He's a victim of circumstances mostly outside of his control.
    He may have had jobs in the past, but here's his goal now:

"The ideal scenario would include back and foot surgery and a diagnosis and treatment of the protrusion on his chest, he said. He would serve a few years in prison and get out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach."

Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Since he had no insurance, by committing larceny and being forced to use cheap prison society health care, who knows he might have actually saved tax payers dollars compared to checking himself into the emergency room and undergoing possibly thousands and thousands of dollars worth of treatment.
    First, you think prison health care is cheap? Prisons tend to get criticized for substandard health care, but providing health care to prisoners can be very expensive. For one thing, prisoners are often sent to normal clinics or hospitals for care that's not available in prison, and then the state has to pay for security and transportation costs that normal patients don't incur. Second, health care is not the only cost of incarcerating someone. It's a pretty pricy way of providing room and board (due in large part to the aforementioned security requirements). Third, many prison systems have serious overcrowding problems. People pulling stunts like this increases the chance that judges will end up ordering prisoner releases to ease the overcrowding, creating a possibility that real criminals will wind up back on the street before their time. Like how the Supreme Court recently ruled that California needs to release 30,000 convicted felons over the next two years.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria