Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "The Dead" (film)

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So Sammich is a liar!?!

Ireland

That chap is talking about the wrong film!

Highly inappropriate.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Wow. Very impressed. One of the very best undead films in recent memory. One that is actually scary and has some very well executed moments of true suspense.When was the last time you saw that in a zombie film? Cinematography is great, at times referencing itallo westerns with it's wide shots of the desert and extreme close-ups of a brooding protagonist. The acting is more than adequate, there's no CGI in sight and the practical gore FX are fantastic as a result. The film uses slow shamblers really well. Way more tension here than in recent action fests featuring kung-fu using freaks. How people can find runners scarier than shamblers is beyond me...Especially if they are used as expertly as the directors do here. The film is love letter to classic 70s/80s genre classics but at the same time feels fresh. The African setting works wonders here. Heart of darkness indeed.
    Very bleak, very scary and definitely a modern genre classic in my book. It's a real shame this doesn't get a wide theatrical release. Aren't kids interested in classic adventure-horrorfilms anymore?
    Last edited by krisvds; 30-Sep-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: .

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Wait, but it hasn't been released yet... where are you...?

Oh...

There's some **taps nose**say no more**wink*wink** going on here, amirite? I wondered what all the peg legs and eye-patches were for...

EDIT: Nevermind - ordered it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-DVD-Anj...7406755&sr=1-2 Pretty misleading cover, I must say! But I had not idea Angelica Huston and Dan O'Herlihy were in it. This should be good. Can't believe it got away with a U rating though!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 30-Sep-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

Oh...

There's some **taps nose**say no more**wink*wink** going on here, amirite? I wondered what all the peg legs and eye-patches were for...
    I'm a geezer you know?

Oh, and I didn't need to hoist the jolly roger to get my butt over to Victoria station, nor to reach wonderful ICA...
    Unbelievable how easy it is to reach London by train these days, I'm there in three hours tops. Used to be harder. ;-)
    Anyways; planning on supporting this film if it ever reaches these shores as well, though a broad theatrical release seems out of the question.
    Last edited by krisvds; 01-Oct-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    I wrote the review for Dead End while I was watching a Dr. Phil show (I watch it every day to learn things on how to hook up with chicks) where the subject was about how chicks don't dig nice guys and go for the ones that treat them badly. What probably happened is that instead of starting a new thread, I had subconsciouly clicked on "Reply to Thread" which is a rebellious kind of act that women find attractive. I caught my embarassing error later on and was going to move the post, but I am still hoping one of the nice single chicks that read this forum would see it and want to hook up.

Undisclosed
    Chicks really dig guys who are being smartasses on the internet. Especially on a forum filled with zombiegeeks. There is hope Sammich!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

Oh...

kraken, you will probably enjoy the hell out of this film. like i said in another thread about the movie, I've seen it twice already and really think it an excellent film. it is totally old school. it is quiet and very intense.

I also give it thumbs up for not wasting time in "character development", which to me takes a lot of the mystery and fun out of a film. i like being able to draw my own conclusions about characters and like a bit of an air of mystery around the main characters in a movie. I think "character development" ought to be saved for TV shows that can go on for season after season, not 90-120 min movies. it is also the main reason i lose interest in most TV shows that I give a chance.

I think it is easily the best zombie film in eons.
    Last edited by Mike70; 03-Oct-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Being Attacked

England
    Finally got to see this flick last night and I loved it. A real tension builder, beautifully shot giving the zed's (even slower than GAR's) a stark and terrible contrast to the landscape, they stood out as real freaks of nature.

Only real gripe being, I would have liked the zed's colouring to reflect the fact that they were dead, some of them just looked too healthy, but after watching the 'making of' feature they can be forgiven this as it's a wonder the film actually was finished without somebody dying of malaria or the tech difficulties overcoming the whole project.

Another plus for me was the outbreak cause being left wide open and not just automatically put down to a virus as is prevalent in today's dead films, with a witch doctor in the film it almost gives that 'Zombie 2' voodoo possibility.

Acting was great, no pretty boys or girls thrown in to sell the film and the crappy one liners non-existent lending the movie a more realistic feel.

Am still not sold on the pale contact lenses though, think dead glassy eyes are way more creepy.

England
    Just got the blu-ray and watched it. I thought it was great and the African setting impressive. And there really is no getting away from them because they are everywhere. Had forgotten that it was a UK film too, even better!

Listening to the commentary was interesting. Everybody getting sick during the making of it, the lead actor almost dying of malaria, constantly being extorted out of money, the car being sabotaged all the time, it's amazing the film was made at all!
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

England
    This movie rocked! A few little niggles here and there, but overall, it was a great flick. Totally enjoyed this and will add it to my BD collection soon

(Some of the scenery was really nice as well).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Is there any hope of the film being released here in the land of New Joisey anytime soon? Otherwise, I must break my Big Ben piggy bank to see how many grotes I have versus how many grotes the movie will cost.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 08-Nov-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Undisclosed
    Here's Howard Ford talking about the film. It will be out on dvd in the states in February.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Seems like a nice guy! Good luck to them!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Seems like a nice guy! Good luck to them!
    Agreed. This film definately deserves everyones support. Buy it. See it. Whatever you can do.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA