Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (film) remake

England
    With hints that Campbell might appear in the last portion of the film and with the main characters being changed... just maybe I might have to give it a go because... just maybe it could be a way to energise the franchise, re-introduce Ash and... who knows...
    That's about the only way I would accept this film.
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD
    from a lover of Evil Dead, Zombies, Cult, Exploitation, B-Movies, Action and Comedy

My Movie Review blog - http://aftermoviediner.blogspot.com
    My AMD podcast can be found on iTunes if you search After Movie Diner and at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/110745
    the podcast blog: http://amdpodcast.blogspot.com/
    or on Facebook under The Podcast from the After Movie Diner and follow me on twitter @aftermoviediner

Super Moderator

UK
    The good thing about this project is that Raimi, Tappert, and Campbell are involved ... the bad thing about the project is that Diablo-friggin-Cody is doing re-writes on the script, and that it's another ruddy remake. As I've said many times, I would much rather have an Evil Dead 4 with Campbell as Ash ... but then maybe it takes a bloody remake in order to make that happen ... who knows, eh?

As for Evil Dead in general, I friggin LOVE that movie. It's in my Top Ten of All Time ... so it's not a barrel of laughs to hear it's getting remade ... but it can't be as bad as The Fog remake or ... ugh ... the remake that dare not speak its name.

England
    yeah I don't see the whole Cody thing either, didn't she write a horror movie that flopped already?

I made a joke once about, "it's not that I wouldn't want to see Juno raped by a tree" but it actually offended people...
    and yet I repeated it here *laughs* sorry if anyone was offended by the idea of a fictional character being attacked by foliage but anyway....

As for the original holy trinity being involved it both fills me full of hope but also makes me sad that this is what they chose to come together for...
    I can only assume they are pushing to reinvigorate the money's interest in the franchise because otherwise Campbell, especially, is going back on a lot of what he has said in the past
    about remakes and sequels.

Also the director's short film wasn't that amazing. We have seen tons of these 'I made a short sci-fi film with CG graphics on my home computer' type pieces recently and even a few features that came from that: District 9, Monsters and Skyline... all I saw when I watched it was a guy who didn't have a good idea or any story to tell. Give me story and characters over CGI any day of the week (that's why District 9 actually worked!)

Still.... *sigh* this be the world in which we now all live I guess... Diablo Cody.... jesus!
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD
    from a lover of Evil Dead, Zombies, Cult, Exploitation, B-Movies, Action and Comedy

My AMD podcast can be found on iTunes if you search After Movie Diner and at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/110745
    or on Facebook under The Podcast from the After Movie Diner and follow me on twitter @aftermoviediner

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterMovieDiner View Post
    I made a joke once about, "it's not that I wouldn't want to see Juno raped by a tree" but it actually offended people...
    and yet I repeated it here *laughs* sorry if anyone was offended by the idea of a fictional character being attacked by foliage but anyway....
    Dude....there's a thread around here where we all discuss the pros and cons of sleeping with a zombie. I think your statement is safe with this crowd.

I think Diablo Cody has too short of a career to condemn her so soon. I actually enjoyed Juno, but that probably had more to do with Jason Reitman's direction rather than her 'witty' dialogue. I watched Jennifer's Body and got a few chuckles, but it was definitely a different style than Juno. So who knows? Maybe she's got some tricks up her sleaves? She actually seems like a pretty cool gal and nerd on the Spaced commentaries. She may be a huge fan of the original Evil Dead and do it justice?

England
    I know, I was probably hard on Cody because I actually sort of like her.
    Like you I liked her comments on the Spaced DVD and Juno was good (I especially like the Herschel Gorden Lewis nod) but I guess I just never understand why a fan of anything would want to work on a remake? if she's such a fan why didn't she say... er... don't do that, that idea sucks!
    Also I don't want Evil Dead teenagers walking around spouting references or using moderately entertaining quips instead of dialogue.

Watching Juno again I noticed she writes the same sort of speech patterns for all her characters and it doesn't entirely work or sit right either.
    I guess my reaction was more to do with, why should Cody working on an ED remake impress me or make me forgive them for doing it in the first place....

and the Juno tree joke was just something I found funny, wasn't necessarily a comment on the movie itself, although I am not sure how long it will hold up as a classic everyone proclaimed it to be when it came out.
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Also I don't want Evil Dead teenagers walking around spouting references or using moderately entertaining quips instead of dialogue.
    Maybe it's just the area I live in, but it's already like this for the originals. The local mall and Hot Topic are populated with just as many Evil Dead items as there are post-Big Fish Tim Burton items. And the ED series is litered with one-liners that I hear all the time. I hate to say it to you guys that are big fans of the series, but the ED series is already a "hip" thing to reference....

England
    I actually meant Cody writing the teenagers in the movie with her trademark quippy "clever" dialogue. That's what I didn't want to see.

Also I know, it is annoying, how mainstream and popular the whole Campbell/Evil Dead thing has become. I liked it all back when I saw Army of Darkness when
    I was 13 and I was the 18 year old scouring old VHS warehouses for copies of Moontrap on ex-rental...

So, although it doesn't really matter to anyone else, it matters to me, I am not being 'Hip' when I reference it. Sadly though bassman, I do know what you mean.

I actually think, if anything, the more popular it all has become, the more jokey it all is, the more the original reason of why the series was great gets lost in a sea of merchandise and maybe the lazier the original 3 people involved have become.

I still loves me a bit of Bruce Action though.
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD

Administrator

England
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52207

about a group of friends trying to help their best friend Mia detox from drugs and alcohol, who go to the fated cabin, find the Book of the Dead, and all hell breaks loose as the demons torment Mia in the cabin, trying to force their way into our world. No Ash here - these are just normal people thrown into something far beyond their frame of reference.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hmmm...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hmmm...
    Yeah. So, the demons try to force their way into our world through a girl fighting an addiction? Regardless wether they play it for laughs (evil dead 2/3) or not (the original) this doesn't sound like the evil dead to me...

Administrator

England
    Little bit of news - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59095

It’s very obvious that this new adaptation of EVIL DEAD is not meant to play to the sensibilities of those who loved EVIL DEAD 2 or ARMY OF DARKNESS for their comedic elements, but instead to those fans of more modern gross-out horror, considering how much of that tongue splitting they showed in the trailer. (All of it.) It was mentioned during the panel, though, that there was a lot of attention to detail in the movie, so fans of the hardcore fans of the originals could have fun little references and nods to look for. (In the trailer, I noticed that the car looked quite a bit like the classic Oldsmobile, but I didn’t see enough to confirm it with certainty.)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Also I know, it is annoying, how mainstream and popular the whole Campbell/Evil Dead thing has become. I liked it all back when I saw Army of Darkness when
    I was 13 and I was the 18 year old scouring old VHS warehouses for copies of Moontrap on ex-rental...
    i'm right there with you on this one. i far preferred when the "evil dead" movies were "ours" and not such a pop culture thing. gathering around the tv to watch "evil dead II" and do bong hits was a beloved teenage/early 20s ritual among my friends and i. it seems somehow cheapened by all the attention.

that's just me and i'm fast becoming a crochety, cranky old man about things i grew up loving.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Only one word can describe this: ludicrous.

'nuff said.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Oct-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Any trailers been upped for it yet? One was put out there at NYCC I think, but it wasn't YouTubed when I looked.

Saw a picture and a poster for it - the picture was a version of Shelly, but no white eyes - just sore looking eyes - I was not impressed by that. The white lenses of the originals was far better - that milky void was far more effective. Sore looking pupils still look too human.

I liked the design of the title text on the poster though.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Only one word can describe this: ludicrous.
    It's spelled Ludacris, or Luda for short, and it has not been confirmed that he will be in the remake yet, but I like where your head is at, Lou.

MV5BMjEwMTU3MDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc2NjM5MQ@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany