Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (film) remake

Undisclosed
    Newest Trailer from RB.

http://www.youtube.com/evildeadmovie

Undisclosed
    Not that bad. In fact, I like that trailer a lot.
    Film seems like a return to the original's video nasty feel. Much will depend on how good the actors are in selling the dread and if there is any suspense to go with all that gore.
    Last edited by krisvds; 05-Jan-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I think too many people are letting their love of the the original cloud their judgment. Looks like a good horror flick to me...

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll definitely see it - but when? Hmmm ... not sure ... at least the original guys are involved in producing it, and I like the idea of giving a young upstart the chance to direct it - although hopefully it's more a case of a creative sort taking their big break with both hands and really doing something cool, rather than just copying the original movie.

When I first heard it was going to happen, I wasn't impressed at all - then I heard the original producers were involved, so that improved my opinion of it (better than just some dickheads from Platinum Dunes coming along yet again).

Now, there's been some wailing about Diablo Cody writing the screenplay, and while yes, Jennifer's Body was aggravating, and epitomised what was wrong with her writing (while Juno was at times annoying, but mostly good and fresh), she also scripted Young Adult - now, while the movie itself wasn't amazing, I noticed more of a maturity to Cody's writing. It wasn't riddled with annoying slang words that nobody has ever heard of, or Juno-like hipsters, so perhaps we'll get a better script than initial fears would have us believe? We can but hope.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, I think too many people are letting their love of the the original cloud their judgment. Looks like a good horror flick to me...
    Just to play devils advocate, I don't know if it's clouded judgement via love of the original per se in ALL cases, as much as becoming jaded via disappointed expectations coupled with a general violation of principles.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Just to play devils advocate, I don't know if it's clouded judgement via love of the original per se in ALL cases, as much as becoming jaded via disappointed expectations coupled with a general violation of principles.
    Plus the makers of so many remakes/reboots/rehashes not bothering to truly figure out why the original was so successful, nevermind the fact that they routinely fail to recognise that you can't recreate several decades worth of fanbase and cinematic icon status creation. Some go so wide of the mark (The Fog, A Nightmare on Elm Street), while others play to fans without anything new (Friday the 13th) ... the reasons for The Evil Dead's success and status are numerous and hard-to-define. Another key ingredient that is missing from so many remakes is respect - for the movie being remade, and for the fanbase of the well-established original.

Hopefully The Evil Dead is on the side of decent remakes like The Hills Have Eyes 2006.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    For some reason all that whispering from that chick pisses me off ... but then again, that "Secret Escapes" advert with the brunette who's whispering to the camera really winds me up, so that's no surprise that this chick here whispering away irks me.

Naturally I'm gonna end up watching this ... but blimey, I don't know ... there's that curious cat thing going on that we horror fans are so susceptible to.

Undisclosed
    For those who have not read or heard the news, it received a NC-17 rating and will be trimmed down for the theater. I hope the NC-17 rated blu-ray will come with the book as a case.

Undisclosed
    No new news, yet. But I found this. The Evil Dead in 60 seconds.

I also found a Swedish rip-off called, Wither.

Undisclosed
    I accidently posted this on the ED4 thread. I found the script for this movie, if anyone is interested.

Super Moderator

UK
    Some initial audience reactions to a screening of it here:
    http://dailydead.com/evil-dead-early...d-on-a-sequel/

Apparently it's generally gone down pretty well - and there are rumours/talks of a sequel getting made.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Mar-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Administrator

England
    +ve feedback from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61373

I think Alvarez did right by the franchise. His deadites are a bit more Exorcist than they are Raimi, but he nailed the tone, he cast the perfect lead and his DP Aaron Morton shot a straight up gorgeous horror movie. It’s refreshing to see a practical effects-driven gorefest that isn’t treated like a B-film.

I liked the movie a whole lot and if this was the cut version they screened tonight then I don’t know what the hell to expect on the eventual unrated DVD…
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The continual talk of the gore does worry me somewhat ... I want to know if the characters are going to be fun to watch, you know? There's a lot of focus on the gore aspect here. I hope it isn't too flashy, if that makes sense? I don't want it to feel too slick, I want it to feel like the modern equivalent of a down and dirty low budget horror flick - a significant part of the charm in the original movie for me is that truly independent filmmaking spirit behind it, a bunch of friends coming together to make a batshit crazy horror movie. It won't have that same vibe (this is a far larger production by comparison), but hopefully it'll feel good to watch as a hugely dedicated fan who adores the original.

Speaking of the gore though - hopefully it does turn out to be a jolly good time. No doubt we Brits will also be getting the cut version on our screens ... I hate it when that happens ... why can't we start from the uncut version and have that submitted to the BBFC? Why do we also get the American theatrical cut? I'd wager we could have every moment of gore from this in our 18 rating just fine ... but perhaps they want to hold it back so they can specifically target that version for home video.

By the way, on April 15th (IIRC) we Brits are getting a special edition Blu-Ray release of Evil Dead 2 (with all the supplemental material found on the 25th Anniversary release from last year in the states) - so you'll be wanting to get in on that.

Administrator

England
    More AICN love - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61375

EVIL DEAD is a very worthy addition to the franchise - and yes, it is a franchise - and I'm dying to see this again with a crowded house full of horror fans. These guys and gals did good.

One more thing - the score. Roque Baņos does incredible work, and the score is batshit insane. It's the music Cthulhu would listen to if he was rolling on the beach in a convertible with the top down. I want this soundtrack in the worst way.
    -Carl Sagan