Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (film) remake

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... I might go and check this out at the cinema next month when it opens here in the UK.

I'm hoping it's going to turn out to be a worthwhile remake that can sit alongside the originals comfortably and not in any way offensively to the original, or the fans. The remake will never top the original movies for me, but it was never going to stand a chance of doing that anyway, so let's just hope that it holds up as a good horror flick, and hopefully a high mark in post-2000 horror.

Colour me cautiously optimistic - when I first heard of an Evil Dead remake my mind naturally went straight to the myriad of pointless and poor remakes (some of them downright offensive to the fans and the genre), but you hear little bits, and see little bits, along the way that make you defrost gradually ... so yeah ... cautious optimism.

United States
    Just saw it at a 10 pm showing. I was definitely not impressed, but I wasn't a big fan of the original.

At least it had Brucie in it. My kid said he was in the coda, so stick around for that if you see it and care.

Nice gore when they had it. I give it a solid D+.
    Last edited by rongravy; 05-Apr-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: phooey.

United States
    Thanks for the spoiler RG.

Undisclosed
    *Hands Trance an ax.* Use it like Scotty in the 1st movie. We had a 10 pm showing, too. But I will not watch it, until Sunday morning or early afternoon.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    Thanks for the spoiler RG.
    Woops, sorry about that. I was just trying to heads up anybody who... nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    *Hands Trance an ax.* Use it like Scotty in the 1st movie. We had a 10 pm showing, too. But I will not watch it, until Sunday morning or early afternoon.
    Lol, bring it.

Besides, can't be spoiled anymore than letting you know it isn't worth watching. What a turd it was.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Besides, can't be spoiled anymore than letting you know it isn't worth watching. What a turd it was.
    Meh. Do not agree w/ the Grave-ster. Found it to be solid. Certainly not a shallow, watered down cash grab anyway. They seem to have put some effort into making a real horror movie with a number of little touches for the fans. I'd probably put it up there w/ TCM in terms of solid remakes that hew in the same mold as the original but still do their own thing. They did not skimp on the blood & gore for sure. Added a little bit of story, which was ok. Gave it a "mission" (other than just trying to survive & get out) which was...eh.... Played it dead straight. None of the offbeat humor & quirky charm of the earlier one(es), but that was to be expected. It did get a little gonzo crazy toward the end, which was fine with me.

Overall, as a fan of the originals, if they were an A-(#1) to an A+ (#2) I'd say this one was a B+?

Undisclosed
    I will watch it with a buddy, Wednesday morning at a theater that serves food and beer. That should help......and some green, before I go.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Meh. Do not agree w/ the Grave-ster. Found it to be solid. Certainly not a shallow, watered down cash grab anyway. They seem to have put some effort into making a real horror movie with a number of little touches for the fans. I'd probably put it up there w/ TCM in terms of solid remakes that hew in the same mold as the original but still do their own thing. They did not skimp on the blood & gore for sure. Added a little bit of story, which was ok. Gave it a "mission" (other than just trying to survive & get out) which was...eh.... Played it dead straight. None of the offbeat humor & quirky charm of the earlier one(es), but that was to be expected. It did get a little gonzo crazy toward the end, which was fine with me.

Overall, as a fan of the originals, if they were an A-(#1) to an A+ (#2) I'd say this one was a B+?
    I do agree the gore was superb, but it was missing the cool camp of the originals.
    Btw, what about Army of Darkness? No grade?

Undisclosed
    I do agree the gore was superb, but it was missing the cool camp of the originals.
    I don't know about Moon or anyone else, but Army was such a nice surprise in that they pulled out all the extreme gore -which should've killed it ( was it ultimately rated PG-13? ) - and yet it was still an Evil Dead film. I actually saw this on the big screen and fun was had by one and all - A+

Wayne Z

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    I don't know about Moon or anyone else, but Army was such a nice surprise in that they pulled out all the extreme gore -which should've killed it ( was it ultimately rated PG-13? ) - and yet it was still an Evil Dead film. I actually saw this on the big screen and fun was had by one and all - A+

Wayne Z
    When I first saw Evil Dead 3/AoD, I didn't like it at all - I wasn't keen on the setting and the overtly comic tone ... but a few years later I returned to it and I've loved it ever since. I love all the ED movies, but the first is still my favourite of them all for numerous reasons - but the other two stand out on their own and I enjoy each film for different reasons ... they also fit different moods, which is nice.

I would like for Evil Dead 4/AoD2 to be a bit darker/gorier than AoD, but not hugely. I definitely think you can get away with much more grue in a horror comedy these days than you could back in the very early 1990s, just as long as the story is interesting and the tone is right. So fingers crossed that AoD2/ED4 happens.

As for the rating - it was an "R" in America, and over here in the UK it's a "15" ... a 'softer' outing that ED2, and far 'softer' (in terms of gore) than ED1, but I suppose there's still enough in there to keep it as an "R", albeit a 'soft R'. I hope they don't tone down/soften/kiddify AoD2 - but with their dedication to all-out-grue in the ED remake, I'm feeling confident they won't slap us fans in the face and give us what we've been after for years.

United States
    I purposely left it out, just since 1 & 2 vs this one are so directly cross comparable , whereas AoD is it's own thing. Plus, I have mixed feelings about it. It's an awesome flick & I love Bruce in it, but prefer the darker tone of the earlier films & would have preferred the original ending remain intact. That said, A to A-.

But yeah, this one is lacking just a tad in the "camp" department, played as straight & serious as it is. But then again, that's really something you probably can't manufacture. It's most likely in your DNA as a filmmaker or not. I don't think you can fake it. So I won't hold that against them too much.

Undisclosed
    1# at the box office. It made over 26 million during the weekend.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=800789

Undisclosed
    I watched it on Wednesday with a platter of nachos, hummus with pita, and a rootbeer. The movie was not terrible, but it did not top first two movies.

I did not find the deadites frightening in this movie. Sure, they are more dangerous, but did not look as nasty as the deadites in the first film.

The gore was superb and practical. The movie showed a lot of carnage for a hard R. I look forward to viewing the NC-17 version. I give it a B-.

Administrator

England
    Well, found it pretty generic and generally myeh TBH. A couple of scenes were nice a gory.

Still don't get why the daughter from the beginning (flash back) appeared at the end again? Other than to facilitate a final battle.

6/10. I enjoyed The Cabin In The Woods more tbh if only it felt far more original.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Yeah i just caught this tonight and was left very.... meh

Its not a bad movie but it just really made me want to rewatch the originals!

The zombies are farrrr too easy to kill! i was annoyed.