Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (film) remake

Administrator

England

Evil Dead (film) remake

Bruce Campbell suggests it's genuine...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bruce...ake-25643.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Still haven't gotten a chance to see Drag me to Hell. Watched like 10 mins of it in the desert. It's on my to watch list though.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh ... nevermind a bloody remake. I'd much rather have Evil Dead 4 - it could be set a couple of decades into Ash being trapped in the future (like at the end of Army of Darkness), and then a way for him to get back presents itself ... just an idea.

One thing about the remake - I really do hope those rumours of Ashton-f***ing-Koosher (a Don Vito reference there, FYI) are just that. I suppose at least the original guys are involved in remaking it ... perhaps it might actually have a purpose beyond sucking cash out of the wallets of us horror fans, us notorious gluttons for punishment, us most curious of zombified cats.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    But if they were to make a sequel to Army of Darkness, one problem would be choosing which ending to treat as canon. The future ending makes most sense within the context of the movie, but it was only used in Europe so nobody saw it. The S Mart ending is the one everyone in the US knows, but it's terrible, completely incoherent and makes no sense (Did Ash just "get away" with dismembering all his friends at the cabin? Why isn't he in an asylum? Why does he still have a job? Where did the witch come from if she didn't know who Ash was?). Not a good springboard for a movie.

I guess Sam Raimi has never been particularly beholden to endings; if you watch the start of Evil Dead 2 and AoD. The first twenty minutes of Evil Dead 2 are pretty much a remake of the first film anyway, which is why I'm not totally against this one. However, I would rather see Bruce Campbell in a starring role in a theatrical released picture. If they must have a youngster, I hope they pick a nobody. Start putting "stars" in these movies and you'll kill the magic.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The S Mart ending is the one everyone in the US knows, but it's terrible, completely incoherent and makes no sense (Did Ash just "get away" with dismembering all his friends at the cabin? Why isn't he in an asylum? Why does he still have a job? Where did the witch come from if she didn't know who Ash was?). Not a good springboard for a movie.
    Damn dude.....That's some pretty deep analyzing for a movie as silly and slapstick as AOD. I don't think anyone making the film put that much thought into it.

As for the remake - Meh....whatever. Never been a big fan of the original. I prefer the series in reverse of the order they were released. AOD, II, and ED. The original seems like it's trying too hard to be a legitimate horror film and comes up short. The other two work because they embrace the silly stuff a bit more.

Australia
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Evil Dead Remake...
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    rumours of Ashton-f***ing-Koosher

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    hehe, well I think those 'Koosher' rumours are just nothing, but it was a rumour nonetheless a couple of years ago *shudders*

Kraken - good points. The S-Mart ending doesn't make an awful lot of sense (but it is fun), but yeah, it'd have to be the ending where he slept too long (such an Ash thing to do, lol) ... seeing as they're insisting on going ahead with it, I agree that it should be with complete unknowns (and preferably not the kind of unknowns who just "want to be famous", the sort of unrealistic L.A. teens who just whine and shop in malls, you know?) ... however one of the key things I love so much about The Evil Dead is that it's a bunch of kids making a horror movie, in the woods, on their own, using money loaned to them from Dentists (etc), being very ingenius in making it, and then going on to become the UK's 'number one video nasty' ... you're never going to get that from a remake ... I just hope they really go for the ingenuity route, rather than the money route and make it all polished.

As I've said though - I'd much rather an Evil Dead 4 get made (it could totally work - and My Name Is Bruce was bloody good fun - which also had that indie ingenuity vibe to it, albeit in a post-2000 kind of way).

United States
    Hell yesssss!!!!! Remake that film Raimi!!! Give em Hell!!!
    Now, if you want to have a good time and you need some p@*$y...you can cut that chicken's head off...

Super Moderator

UK
    A friend of mine said today that she'd read that not only is a remake happening, but there's talk of an Evil Dead 4 (starring Campbell, presented/produced by Raimi, but not directed by Raimi) - now, I don't have a link to this article she was reading, but if that is indeed the case, that's taken me by surprise ... I would really love to see an Evil Dead 4.

Take all that with a pinch of salt, naturally, it could be a big old whopper of a rumour, or maybe it's something of more substance ... time will tell.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The scripts being revised by....Diablo Cody? Main writer and director also listed....

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...arez-confirmed

I bet fans are gonna looooove this news....
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Jul-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Yeah, a fourth movie would be awesome, a remake would not. I'd rather have a Bubba Ho-tep sequel.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yeah, a fourth movie would be awesome, a remake would not. I'd rather have a Bubba Ho-tep sequel.
    Cody? Yeah, she wrote Juno which was good, but then she wrote Jennifer's Body which was shit, and really exhausted beyond all recognition that Cody-fied dialogue schtick. I really do hope she does a good job - it's Evil Dead 4 after all - but ugh, that news doesn't inspire me much.

Hopefully 'working on a draft' means it was originally written by someone else, and she's just been brought in to do some 'polishing' (although I hope that doesn't involve lots of sarcastically ironic "wettie" talk and whatnot).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Jul-2011 at 10:16 AM.

England
    This was such utterly depressing news. I love the Evil Dead movies but the thing that makes them work is Raimi directing and Campbell starring take that away and it's 'stupid people go to cabin and get picked off by demons they inadvertently summon'. Evil Dead was already remade by that hack Eli Roth in Cabin Fever. The saddest thing about the ED remake news is that it's Bruce, Sam and Rob producing it. Why come together to do this? why not come together to actually make a decent film? a new film starring Campbell not the tedious idea of ED 4. It's just frustrating and sad... Just like Drag Me to Hell was frustrating because Raimi without Campbell always feels... well... less than.
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD
    from a lover of Evil Dead, Zombies, Cult, Exploitation, B-Movies, Action and Comedy

My Movie Review blog - http://aftermoviediner.blogspot.com
    My AMD podcast can be found on iTunes if you search After Movie Diner and at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/110745
    the podcast blog: http://amdpodcast.blogspot.com/
    or on Facebook under The Podcast from the After Movie Diner and follow me on twitter @aftermoviediner

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yeah, I'd rather see an original idea than a sequel or remake, but hey, if the original people are involved, it might not be complete wash.
    If made, rent first.