Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Walking Dead" - Special Edition DVD and Blu-Ray details

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Where's the UK version though
    I've just seen on another board that the Special Edition may not be available outside of Region 1? Just a rumor at this point, but I thought I would pass it along.

Are blu rays region free? Maybe you guys can import the R1 version?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've just seen on another board that the Special Edition may not be available outside of Region 1? Just a rumor at this point, but I thought I would pass it along.

Any Blu-Ray you'd actually wanna import, is always Region A locked - a sod's law kind of thing. Then of course there's the issue of import cost. At present, IIRC, it's still a measily £18 (this includes what you pay for postage too), but I had heard a while back that it was going to be getting dropped to an even more measily £15!

So you'd be shit out of luck getting it on BR, so it'd have to be DVD, and then an SE DVD boxset would likely cost a fair amount (especially if weight is a factor, and not even necessarily that much weight), and easily put you over the import limit - which results in quite an additional cost. The last time I got scuppered by import duty, it was £10 for that, and then £3 for extra handling by the Royal Mail ... so a £22 ($35.81) DVD (the Dawn "Ultimate Edition" FYI) cost me £35 ($56.97) in the end!

I'll be steamin' nerd-mad if the SE DVD/BR is North American only - yet another stupid bloody decision, if that rumour turns out to be true. It'd make little sense to me, TWD did stonkingly well across the globe - and there'll be plenty of fans like me outside of North America who want their mits on the SE of season one.

England

Unfortunately the combination of Anchor Bay and AMC virtually guarantees a region locked blu-ray

-- -------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Any Blu-Ray you'd actually wanna import, is always Region A locked - a sod's law kind of thing. Then of course there's the issue of import cost. At present, IIRC, it's still a measily £18 (this includes what you pay for postage too), but I had heard a while back that it was going to be getting dropped to an even more measily £15!

So you'd be shit out of luck getting it on BR, so it'd have to be DVD, and then an SE DVD boxset would likely cost a fair amount (especially if weight is a factor, and not even necessarily that much weight), and easily put you over the import limit - which results in quite an additional cost. The last time I got scuppered by import duty, it was £10 for that, and then £3 for extra handling by the Royal Mail ... so a £22 ($35.81) DVD (the Dawn "Ultimate Edition" FYI) cost me £35 ($56.97) in the end!

I'll be steamin' nerd-mad if the SE DVD/BR is North American only - yet another stupid bloody decision, if that rumour turns out to be true. It'd make little sense to me, TWD did stonkingly well across the globe - and there'll be plenty of fans like me outside of North America who want their mits on the SE of season one.
    Back in the day i used to use "import friendly" companies like Movietyme and dvdpacific who would either mark your parcel as a gift or send them in separate packages marked down in value but this has been clamped down on over the last few years. I can still get passed the region lock using my computer but its a pain in the arse and kind of ruins the whole point of owning the set as i found out with the Deadwood box set.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Unlocked a DVD player (even the DVD portion of a Blu-Ray player) is simple and pretty much most can be 'handset hacked' - however, no such thing exists for Blu-Ray.

Anchor Bay and AMC better buck up their ideas if they actually are considering making it North America only.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Unlocked a DVD player (even the DVD portion of a Blu-Ray player) is simple and pretty much most can be 'handset hacked' - however, no such thing exists for Blu-Ray.

Anchor Bay and AMC better buck up their ideas if they actually are considering making it North America only.
    I've found a solution.
    Just ordered this bluray player

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

and you upgrade the firmware with the Australian firmware

Details here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...region-bd.html

Im just waiting for a price from this customs friendly guy on the 3 disc bluray

http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/

-- -------- Post added 16-Sep-2011 at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Sep-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

I can confirm that the above works beautifully.
    I now have a multi region dvd and bluray player

-- -------- Post added 17-Sep-2011 at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was 16-Sep-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

Nice box

Last edited by kidgloves; 16-Sep-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: .

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It does look slightly better in 3D form, but I still dislike the look of the "doors". I'll be getting the regular blu ray.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: .

England
    It does look slightly better in 3D form, but I still dislike the look of the "doors". I'll be getting the regular blu ray.
    Yeah. Same here. I stopped buying steelbooks and limited editions years ago. If the content is the same on the discs, i dont see the point of the extra cost anymore

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah. Same here. I stopped buying steelbooks and limited editions years ago. If the content is the same on the discs, i dont see the point of the extra cost anymore
    Oh, don't get me wrong.....if it were a good looking limited edition, I would be all over it. I'm as much a sucker for cool packaging as I am for special features. In this case, however, the regular blu ray packaging looks better than the limited edition...
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: .

England
    First review of the Special Edition.

http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/blura...review?start=2

I've linked the page of most interest.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    just upgraded my television set, a blu-ray player purchase is not far off in the horizon. this may be my first blu-ray purchase.

-- -------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Nice box

that's what she said!

(had to be done, it's been a while)

*darts off before the fun-police arrive on scene*

Super Moderator

UK
    First review of the Special Edition.

http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/blura...review?start=2

I've linked the page of most interest.
    Sounds pretty sweet.

If only they'd feckin' release it in the UK! The price of importing is pricey as it is, then if you go over the import duties threshold the cost of penalties is idiotic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With all the anticipation for the webisodes and new season I totally forgot that this set is released tomorrow. It's a nice surprise to get to work on a bad Monday morning and see an advertisement for the special edition on another board. Had no idea it was one day away...

-- -------- Post added 04-Oct-2011 at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-Oct-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

Slowly making my way through this thing. The "We Are The Walking Dead" documentary is fabulous. Lots of interesting and entertaining bits of information. I can see myself watching it again and again. But i'm also a sucker for documentaries....

If anything it kinda makes me more sad about Darabont's departure. He just seems so happy and in his element making this show. Like a kid in a candy store...

The packaging of the set is really cool. Both comics and tv series artwork blended together. Good stuff.

Super Moderator

UK
    With all the anticipation for the webisodes and new season I totally forgot that this set is released tomorrow. It's a nice surprise to get to work on a bad Monday morning and see an advertisement for the special edition on another board. Had no idea it was one day away...

-- -------- Post added 04-Oct-2011 at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-Oct-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

Slowly making my way through this thing. The "We Are The Walking Dead" documentary is fabulous. Lots of interesting and entertaining bits of information. I can see myself watching it again and again. But i'm also a sucker for documentaries....

If anything it kinda makes me more sad about Darabont's departure. He just seems so happy and in his element making this show. Like a kid in a candy store...

The packaging of the set is really cool. Both comics and tv series artwork blended together. Good stuff.
    I'm still pissed this doesn't seem to be getting a UK release.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All special features viewed, with only two commentaries left. This is a fan-f*cking-tastic set. Soooo worth the wait for a proper release. I don't mean to rub it in to you R2 folks, but it's worth the import if you can swing it.

The main doc is slightly over an hour long and the other features are around an hour all together. So it's a good two hours of new features and they're all very entertaining.

As for the commentaries, it's no surprise that Darabont's is the best. Lots of tiny movie-making nuggets that most people would have never noticed otherwise. For example, the first episode with Shane and Rick talking and eating in the police car? It's in a garage with blown up pictures around the windows. I never would have guessed that old school technique was used on something like this. It's flawless. Not to mention the other countless cgi & old school additions he mentions. The other commentaries are decent too. Kirkman and Nicotero are always fun to listen to.

Again, i'm not trying to rub it in the face of my brothers outside of the US, but this is a fantastic set. MUCH more content than any other AMC show release. Which is strange considering TWD is half the length of the others. 10/10

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is the black and white pilot episode. I didn't watch the whole thing, but just kinda bounced around. I don't mean to denounce this version on that alone, but it doesn't have the same effect on me as The Mist had. The Mist kinda lent itself to that style, but i'm not so sure about this one. I'll have to give it the full viewing before final judgment, though.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Oct-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: .

England
    Great stuff. Cheers for that

-- -------- Post added 11-Oct-2011 at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-Oct-2011 at 11:30 AM ----------

Woohoo. My copy turned up today. Superb service from the website above. Only 5 days to the UK and NO customs charges. Thats the rest of my week planned. Now where to start

MY HOME CINEMA