Thread: try and help me solve this irritating freeview problem

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

try and help me solve this irritating freeview problem

So i go round to my grandparents and there is a powercut. My gran then tells me her freeview box no long works. the remote goes between AV and the now defunct old style 1-5 channel setting and turns volume up and down but nothing else. even though the box is clearly receiving the signal and doing what it should such as turning on and off.

first i check all the connections are still in. no change.
    try reseting everything and manually searching again, no change.
    the freeview goes into the vhs/dvd player which then goes into the tv. i removed the vhs/dvd combo from the 'circuit' and it picks up the freeview just fine via a straight scart.
    otherwise it just see the vhs channels you flick through.
    replaced scarts and ariel cables one by one in every possible configuration. still no change.

all i can surmise is both boxes are outputting fine, all the cables are working fine. but for some reason, even though the tv is set to its AV setting it is no longer picking up the freeview that goes to the vhs via a scart and then the vhs via a second output scart goes to the tv. im going out on a limb and thinking the power cut blew something in the vhs/dvd player but ive never had this problem before and havent used a vhs player for almost 15 years so i dont exactly have experience with such faults.

Anyone on here had a similar fault or have an idea what it could be?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    you've blatantly blown the board which sends the auxilary signal INTO your VHS player. If the freeview works connected straight into the TV, and the VHS plays videos fine, then the "incoming" circuit has gone.

Of course your only option now is to circumvent the link in this chain that is the VHS player, teach your gran to switch the AV channels and have the freeview in AV1 and the VHS in AV2 - cheapest solution?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    you've blatantly blown the board which sends the auxilary signal INTO your VHS player. If the freeview works connected straight into the TV, and the VHS plays videos fine, then the "incoming" circuit has gone.

Of course your only option now is to circumvent the link in this chain that is the VHS player, teach your gran to switch the AV channels and have the freeview in AV1 and the VHS in AV2 - cheapest solution?
    her tv's so old it only has the one AV slot but yeah now she refuses to lose the vhs "so i can watch my stories" even though its recording the current transmissions and not the digital ones from the freeview so its defunct later. god damn that woman fears change...