Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Darabont leaving The Walking Dead!?!?!?

United States

Darabont leaving The Walking Dead!?!?!?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...s%7CLatestNews

WHHHHHYYYY!?

This is disappointing given as, most thought the first episode as the best of the season.
    Last edited by Doc; 27-Jul-2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: .

England
    No biggie. Midway through the 1st season Frank said he would be taking a backseat and returning to movies. He only became more hands on when the writing became an issue. They now have a settled writers room. If Kirkman walked away then I would be worried
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I wonder if this news is as accurate as that time he apparently 'fired the entire writing staff'.

Ireland
    Not good.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder if this news is as accurate as that time he apparently 'fired the entire writing staff'.
    Yeah, it's probably just a weekend break to visit relatives or something... lol.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Sources indicate...."

Even if he does take a more minor position in the seires, it's no big deal. As Kid mentioned above, he's been saying from the start that we would step down from the head position as the show continued on. I was actually kinda shocked to see him return for season two. Hopefully we'll still get at least one more episode directed by him before he bows out.

"I'm leaving Frank Darabont...."
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jul-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: .

England
    If he was going to leave this would be the right time as well. I assume all the scripts are done so it leaves a long long period for AMC to reorganize before gearing up for season 3.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    No need to hit the panic button until we see season 2. Then you can hit the panic button. LOL

UK
    New showrunner found:

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/118/1184537p1.html

I'm sure nobody will have an opinion on this...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No surprise there. What's not clear is whether or not Darabont will help finish up season two as the showrunner or bail out in the middle of shooting? I doubt it would matter either way as far as the "showrunner" title goes, but i'm just hoping he'll still direct the season finale.

The best news is that he's still on board in some capacity. Not that I ever thought he would completely abandon his baby.

He probably just doesn't want to spend every summer down here in the 100 degree heat.

United States
    Wonder if Robert Kirkman will take a more active role in the TV series this season?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    No need to hit the panic button until we see season 2. Then you can hit the panic button. LOL
    I guess I'm worried about his absence since the with the exception of the fantastic first episode (the only one written by him, I think).....well, the rest of the episodes were lower in quality and never reached the same height. Meh, who knows. Maybe, Season 2 will really surprise me.
    Last edited by Doc; 28-Jul-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: .

United States
    I have mixed feelings here, Darabont was a major champion of this entire effort and he clearly "got it" the man replacing him is viewed with a lot of respect in the industry... he is not however viewed with a lot of respect by fans in the know. Everyone I have talked have panned him for some horrible efforts (Crash, Hawthorne) in the past. That having been said he has been around a long time, and is a sound Writer/Producer (The Shield). As long as the material is already there and he is not allowed to go far afield I think we will be just fine. Also Mr. Darabont should remain a presence.

The Shield was a hit but I was not a fan really, they pushed a lot of boundaries however and were not afraid to do things that other shows would never dream of doing. That could be a good thing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I get the feeling as Executive Producer Darabont will still have an important role in the series. He'll help shape the stories and such, he just doesn't have to be on set for the entire duration of filming. This way he's still involved, but can also continue pursuing his other film projects.