Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red State - official movie trailer...

Super Moderator

UK

Thumbs up Red State - official movie trailer...

Looks pretty darn kick arse to me!

As a regular listener to the SModcast network and SModcast Internet Radio, I've heard the ins-and-outs of Smith's intentions with Red State's release ... repeatedly ... ad nauseum ... and then repeated some more ... and a little bit more after that ... ... so I'm looking forward to actually seeing the goddamned movie!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Did he really put his friggin twitter tag in the middle of the trailer? I'm still interested in seeing the movie, but Smith's recent antics are starting to put me off.

I hear now he's working on an evening talk show to be aired after TMZ? The TMZ viewing audience seems like a good crowd for him....
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jul-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: .

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I liked the first trailer we saw a while back, better. I'll watch this movie, but I'm not going to run to the theater for it.

Administrator

England
    Looks good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    eh, as ive gotten older ive gotten less enjoyment out of smith with each flick he makes bar both clerks films. Honestly im watching this for john goodmans name attached not his.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Honestly im watching this for john goodmans name attached not his.
    Throw in Michael Parks and I agree. Two great actors are the saving grace with this one.

United States
    Eh, not really impressed, plus the whole naming it "Red State" to begin with seems rightly ignorant and juvenile to me ('cause all we Republican states are just redneck inbred racists after all!). Sigh...

I'll probably check it out on Netflix when it comes available just for John Goodman though. Nothing will ever top "King Ralph" though! I can watch that movie over, and over, and over...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I'll probably check it out on Netflix when it comes available just for John Goodman though. Nothing will ever top "King Ralph" though!

OVER THE LINE!

Super Moderator

UK
    Regarding the title - Smith has said numerous times that it's not to do with Republicanism (indeed, the family in the movie are beyond anything, they're their own brand if you will), but simply - being a horror movie - blood.

Although, as it has been understood by so many to be to do with bashing Republicans (Smith says that each side of the house gets the finger in the flick), I'm surprised that he didn't try to clarify the title more heavily from the very beginning.

I am somewhat surprised by the amount of "meh-ing" here, though. I think it looks pretty darn cool - I'm certainly up for it (after, as I've said before, an exhaustive and repetitive amount of build up and talk) - I'm also intrigued to see what a Smith film looks like that isn't a comedy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    [/I]) - I'm also intrigued to see what a Smith film looks like that isn't a comedy.
    Probably like a comedy. Or at the very least . . .an overly glib attempt at horror.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Blimey, such negativity from you guys...

United States
    Blimey, such negativity from you guys...
    Meh, last time I brought up Red State I was accused of working for Smith just because I was excited about the flick and that excitement was refelcted in my wordy post. This should be expected, MZ.

I, for one, am excited as hell to see Michael Parks' performance in this movie, as well as Goodman's. I think it's going to be quite an exciting flick, and nothing like what we've ever seen or expect from Smith.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, I've been deemed a "fan boy" for being interested in Red State ... I mean sheesh ... it's kind of like how Smith joked about Comic-Con, the only place where someone in a Star Trek costume can look at someone in a Chewbacca costume and go "pfft, fuckin' nerd..."

I think there's a lesson to be learned there.

United States
    Indeed, I've been deemed a "fan boy" for being interested in Red State ... I mean sheesh ...
    Well, at least I have some company now..

it's kind of like how Smith joked about Comic-Con, the only place where someone in a Star Trek costume can look at someone in a Chewbacca costume and go "pfft, fuckin' nerd..."

Yes, yes there is.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Indeed, I've been deemed a "fan boy" for being interested in Red State ... I mean sheesh ... it's kind of like how Smith joked about Comic-Con, the only place where someone in a Star Trek costume can look at someone in a Chewbacca costume and go "pfft, fuckin' nerd..."

proving you arent a fanboy for kevin smith by quoting kevin smith. yeah. okay brah.

Seriously though, its not surprising a lot of people are seeing a man whos made his career on dick and weed jokes doing a horror film- a genre that, lets be honest, is often the last bastion of the lazy filmmaker and people dont get excited for that. its like an action movie star making a kids movie. its a different genre from there comfortable pigeon hole and whilst it doesnt put people off it doesnt exactly generate enthusiasm y'know?

Personally ive kind of waned from smith as i think he is his best when he is writing from personal experience and saying something meaningful, and ive seen 'the crazy religious folks in the boonies' horror film many times before and its not what i want from this director.

-and to be fair, you arent a fanboy, technically you're a kevin smith apologist not quite aggro enough for the blind loyalty defence force, but give it a few years to brew some bile, every fan gets there with something.

You know who you are
    Last edited by Danny; 29-Jul-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: hgfdsdf